What is your favorite sling?

Mystery Ranch just rolled out a new sling system this year. It goes above and beyond a traditional rifle sling as it has a horizontal strap that hooks across your chest to the opposing backpack strap. This keeps the rifle from slipping off your shoulder and has a quick release buckle near the sling that a simple pull of a strap releases the sling from the horizontal strap. It then goes to the next level with a "hook" that easily attaches to your backpack belt and the butt-stock rests and remains there. I saw it at ATA and was very impressed. I just got mine in this week and already have it mounted on my rifle and primary backpack. In my limited usage I am very satisfied and ready to get it off flat land and into the mountains this elk season to see what it can truly do. The only con I have at this point is when the quick disconnect buckle is reconnected by it's magnetic catch, it does make a little more noise than I like. Though if I am reconnecting the shot is either over or the opportunity passed and the "click" shouldn't be a problem. I really think this is going to prohibit, or at least dramatically reduce, gun slide, movement, shifting, ect. while hiking and mobile hunting. It also works with a backpack rather than going over or in place of a backpack when using the backpack style straps. Lastly, I practiced removing the gun from my shoulder sling position and I was very impressed at how little extra effort it took and how quick it was. It was maybe 1-2 seconds slower than a traditional sling, but if it does what I think it will do then I am more than happy to sacrifice those couple seconds. And it is a hell of a lot quicker than a 2 strap or backpack mounted carrier that requires the pack be removed.

I use the nylon SuperSlings on all my rifles. The 1 1/4" is wide enough to comfortably carry a rifle, and it is uniform width which helps when using the sling to stabilize the rifle for a shot. I keep them from slipping off by running the pack's chest strap through it, though a fair amount of the time, especially if I am climbing, the rifle rides in the scabbard in my Eberlestock Just One pack. I like my slings simple, and these have worked well for years.

I'm looking at a new sling for backpack hunting. What are thoughts on the backpack type sling that goes over both shoulders? Is there a more comfortable/practical option?Rifles to be carried will be either heavy or light depending on hunt location.

Recently I have been using the Safari Sling on both my deer and elk rifles. Growing up and hunting in Western Oregon, where split seconds and quick shots can make the difference between filling your tag or not, I always carried my sling in my hunting pack to use AFTER notching my tag. I disciplined myself to carrying the rifle ready and although painful at times, has attributed to a multitude of successful hunts over the years.

Lots of guys in our hunting camp walk around with their rifles slung over their shoulders and invariably we here stories every year of "I saw a buck, but just couldn't get a shot off in time"

Little thing add up.

Since severing my left bicep in a dirt bike accident, I no longer have the strength to carry this way any more. The Safari Sling has allowed me to still carry in ready position all day long but without having to bear the weight of the rifle with my arms. For $20 give it a try.

I use TAB gear backpack sling. It carries my 14 lb rifle perfectly and easily, However I installed flushcups on the side of my stock. And if you are also carrying a backpack, this could be problematic. I use it while antelope hunting, when a day pack is not really necessary.

Personally the Brownells Latigo sling is my favorite. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...s/slings/quick-set-latigo-sling-prod1180.aspx
along with a Gunslinger Corral rifle "holster." https://gcholsters.com/
This "holster" makes a sling comfortable as it transfers weight to your hip. It is fast to deploy and leaves both hand free for climbing. If you really need to secure your rifle you can also strap the sling to your pack chest.
+1 on the latigo sling from Brownells
Use them on all my rifles
Including those used for guiding
in Alaska

I have a Browning camo nylon webbing sling with a fast slider buckle. It's light and fast adjusting. I've discovered an adjustable hunting sling is what I need. If I had to carry my rifle down the center of my back, as in hauling out a deer, for example, I can reverse the ends of the sling and use the double strap part to put a strap on each shoulder.

Cody, I have a TAB Gear competition sling on my Ruger Precision Rifle. They build great stuff, pricey but you get a great product.

Eric B.

I agree with this one!

Been using them for about 4 years now on the recommendation of Darrell Holland, who is NOT a sling guy. However recognizing their usefulness in both carrying and accuracy, Darrell over researched slings and came to this one.

I tried one on a hunt in the WY mountains and from the VERY awkward shooting position I had to use on a pinnacle looking down on the elk I took. it proved invaluable. The stretch is allows good pressure on the rifle and glues it to you when traversing difficult terrain.

I bought the Slogan and had good service. Took a week from order to doorstep. I haven't hunted with it yet but so far I think I will love it.

I'll throw in a vote for the Way of the gun Proctor sling. Super light, works great, can be used 2 point or 1 point. There's not any padding, but between my pack and clothes, comfort is not an issue. I've got 3 of them

Tried out the "Montana Sling" this season, and I have to admit that I really like it.

Comfortable, quiet, adjusts by sliding the "knot" up or down. works great as a hasty sling. http://www.montanagunslings.com/

ETBfmmhl.jpg

Guy

I love my Safari Sling. I bought one from Cabela's, and then started making my own. Other than on the backpack, it is by far the most comfortable way to carry. The weight goes across both shoulders. The gun is instantly ready for a quick shot (which I haven't had in years). It can't slip off, because it goes over one arm and your head. I make mine out of light nylon straps about 1-1/2" wide, and use shoelaces to go around the stock and barrel. Longer strings in back make it perfectly smooth to bring up to your shoulder. Mine is ultra light. The only drawback is you have to have perfect muzzle control. You have to control where your rifle is pointed at all times. Which should be a no brainer. I won't hunt with hunter's who don't control their muzzles.

I have six of these and my friends combined have six more and they are by far the most durable, versitle and USABLE rifle sling I have ever seen or used. I love the way it helps you to steady your rifle to make shots and the rubber grips all types of cloths like glue to stop your rifle from sliding off your shoulder.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1SEL3S/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.