What is your favorite sling?

Dwall82

I'm looking at a new sling for backpack hunting. What are thoughts on the backpack type sling that goes over both shoulders? Is there a more comfortable/practical option?Rifles to be carried will be either heavy or light depending on hunt location.

From my perspective, the sling is primarily an aid to shooting accuracy - how much comfort it affords the shooter in carrying the rifle is secondary. GIs carried 8 and 10 pound rifles all over Europe during WWII with little more than a leather belt.
So, as the best support for accurate shooting, I'd take this one:

Rifle Sling - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I use claw slings, lots of colors and patterns. It doesn't slip off the shoulder. Light. Made in USA.

I used a sling for qualification while in the service, never used the sling while in the field or combat. For me, I don't ever see myself using the sling while hunting either.

i hunted for years using slings to hold my gun, never found one that i cared for. They all work but none were very comfortable to me. I use an eberlestock pace where the gun slides down the center of the pack in a built in sleeve. it centers the weight, plus it protects the gun. I have herd a few guy complain that it's slower to get the gun out for a fast shot but the extra half a second dosnt really matter to me. if your trying to make a shot that fast, then your just hoping to get lucky and hit something.

I've been using the MSR Modular Sling on my new Ruger American Predator Boyd's laminated stock. Very adjustable and was able to accept my flush cup type sling swivels that I added to my Boys's stock.

Being modular it will accept any type of sling swivel. This sling is very fast to adjust for length.

Eric B.

I'm looking at a new sling for backpack hunting. What are thoughts on the backpack type sling that goes over both shoulders? Is there a more comfortable/practical option?Rifles to be carried will be either heavy or light depending on hunt location.

I have tried several. The two best are the timber butte sold here.. and the sloane outdoors someone else mentioned. I definately prefer the timber butte. You can use it like a standard backpack. Or sling both straps on one shoulder. Or my favorite is to put both straps on one shoulder then lift the top strap up and over head to other shoulder to distribute some weight to opposite shoulder butet you swing rifle up quick.
My sons however prefer the sloane.. i find it to sticky and not as comfortable. If you want comfort.. timber. If you want it to stick to shoulder ..sloane.

If you're backpacking... Are you not carrying a backpack?

X1CoxPcl.jpg

I use the Turner sling. Classic military style leather sling. I used it in competition, and I use it on my hunting rifles as a shooting aid. Old habit of carrying my rifle in my hands, it has proven to be worthwhile.

A snap-shot can be a very good thing. Not luck. Practice.

Or use the sling while standing, kneeling, sitting or prone. As a hasty sling, or a loop sling. It works.

Ya, I'm a 61 year old dinosaur and believe in the sling as a shooting aid. Not bad for carrying a rifle either.

Regards, Guy

For distance carry I'm not that particular with slings as long as the shoulder area has a wide enough, (preferably rubber pad/nylon strap) to displace the weight for comfortable carry. As a shooting aid for long range positional shooting/hunting and PRS competition, the HOG Saddle sling is my favorite. With practice, a loophole sling, attached/tensioned to your belt can privide a substantial improvement in steadiness when shooting/hunting from non-prone positions in the field.

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/ss-loophole-sling-1/#PhotoSwipe1503985236436

I have tried several. The two best are the timber butte sold here.. and the sloane outdoors someone else mentioned. I definately prefer the timber butte. You can use it like a standard backpack. Or sling both straps on one shoulder. Or my favorite is to put both straps on one shoulder then lift the top strap up and over head to other shoulder to distribute some weight to opposite shoulder butet you swing rifle up quick.
My sons however prefer the sloane.. i find it to sticky and not as comfortable. If you want comfort.. timber. If you want it to stick to shoulder ..sloane.

I too found the sloane to sticky. I like the TAB slings, their biathlon sling is wonderful and expensive. http://tabgear.com/

I bought the Slogan Outdoor Sling.

It smelled SOOOO bad of mold/mildew i couldn't stand carrying it. I contacted the company multiple time via e-mail, left telephone messages and *NEVER* got a reply.

The company states on their site, "PRODUCTS ARE MADE IN THE U.S.A. AND
ARE GUARANTEED FOREVER NO MATTER WHAT",
but it's baloney if they never respond to requests for assistance.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/rifle-sling-smell.155791/

The sling does hold the rifle well and never slips, but it's taken a long, long time for the smell to subside.

That said, I will never do business with them again. I was never contacted by anyone at the company and while was able to mitigate the problem myself their "guarantee" is worthless.

Spend your money on a solid product backed by a company with integrity.

Personally, i'm looking at the http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/dawgbustersnipersling.html

It looks like a good way to carry my rifle as i carry a pack and tend toward spot and stalk type hunting.

Slogan is the best I've used for non-slippage and functionality. The guy on their commercial was at the last hunting show I attended last month. Seems like he is there every year. Has about 4 different versions now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.