what is your favorite LR broadhead?

I'm just glad I did a lot of research on them before I bought any heads to try out. Saved myself a lot of money. I can get the STs for 25.99 and the Montec G5 CS are $39.99! Saves me $14 a pop for broadheads that hold up and shoot better out of my bow. Now I just hope I draw so I can stick a bull elk with one!

Last edited:
Scott E, After all that traditional talk, I didnt expect to see training wheels on your bow, smile. Im not getting icons.My hunting bud took a 6x6 few years ago in Id, with his Shaffer made long bow, he has a handful of Shaffer recurves also. Nice bulls. My hunting bud is overall Mt state champ and has qualified for worlds several times. He took a 370 type bull this year, but he had his wheels too.

Scott E, After all that traditional talk, I didnt expect to see training wheels on your bow, smile. Im not getting icons.My hunting bud took a 6x6 few years ago in Id, with his Shaffer made long bow, he has a handful of Shaffer recurves also. Nice bulls. My hunting bud is overall Mt state champ and has qualified for worlds several times. He took a 370 type bull this year, but he had his wheels too.
You must be thinking of someone else. I haven't shot a traditional bow since I was about 12. I am about as high tech as it gets when it comes to archery which includes FOB's for fletching and an anchor site instead of a peep!

Nothing like archery hunting for rutting elk!

Scot E.

I took your post #35,and the Dr Ashby and heavy arrows,school of thought . Misunderstood,sorry. I have the whole,many page broadhead report that a friend sent me.I shoot the tech stuff to a point. I do a little trade out w/local pro shop, he is a former State indoor. I have avid bowhunting friends, one is real close on the Super slam. Most of my bowhunting friends have taken 15-35 elk w/bow.

I took your post #35,and the Dr Ashby and heavy arrows,school of thought . Misunderstood,sorry. I have the whole,many page broadhead report that a friend sent me.I shoot the tech stuff to a point. I do a little trade out w/local pro shop, he is a former State indoor. I have avid bowhunting friends, one is real close on the Super slam. Most of my bowhunting friends have taken 15-35 elk w/bow.
I understand. I took that info and related it to compounds even though it was originally written for traditionalists. I didn't make that very clear.

Scot E.

Been shooting Wasp four blade Boss SST's since they came out. They added 20 yards to my actual no BS effective range nearly instantly. They are hair popping sharp, and are made bomb proof tough. Never before did I ever enjoy or achieve such shot, after shot, after shot, consistantcy shooting broad heads.

And can be found on the net for around $26-$27 per 3.

So far on target my best and longest broadhead is the QUA Exodus 100grain swept blade. Good out to 80yards with it and it's a fixed blade.

Slick tricks in 100gr. with Beeman hunter shafts the black ones. But they shoot the best out of my Mathews 63# Legency. Shot a big bodied buck with a grizz trick and it barely went threw. I will stick to the magnum size. Much better than the muzzy's I used to shoot. 4 blades = great blood trails. I didn't like how the mechnaicals preform. If the arrow doesn't pass threw the animal runs with the arrow sticking in it and the shaft gets pulled back and the blades don't cut. A fixed blade will make hamburger when that happens. It happened to me all most lost a deer 200 yard nose bleed blood trail. I tried, thunder heads, koplins, muzzy's, muzzy MX3's, Rocket mech., Rage. My first deer I shot was with an old Koplin 3 blade and the deer took one step and fell over. When I pulled out the arrow only one blade stayed on. All other deer run off to 50-200 yards.

So far on target my best and longest broadhead is the QUA Exodus 100grain swept blade. Good out to 80yards with it and it's a fixed blade.

I'm not here to plug or put down anybodies broadhead selection. If it works don't fix it, as they say.

When it comes to mechanical broadheads versus fixed blade broadheads, mechanical's can be made to fly well much easier than fixed blade heads.

However that said, that's where the comparison totally ends. I'll repeat what I've already written about many times. There are No Game Big Hunter's that will ever use a mechanical broadhead!!!! Read that and understand it.

We're not talking about big game as in the little animals found on the North American continent. We're talking about large African game animals and others like them.

For that matter, true Big Game Hunters won't use anything other than a two blade fixed broadhead. This is for penetration and strength along with other cutting qualities.

It's not a true a statement that a 3 or 4 blade broadheads will cause more blood loss than a two blade broadhead. That's an old sales statement, but in the end nothing causes more blood loss than a two blade broadhead that creates a massive hole straight threw an animal in or near a vital organ. Bleeder or Cheater blades only add to this hemorrhaging damage.

Instead of arguing or even discussing these topics, take the time and do some research, since it's all available on the internet. Look at what types of equipment are required by law in the different African countries. One of the things you'll learn is that unlike here in the USA there's a minimum arrow weight of 800 grains without broadhead before any guide will even think about taking a client anywhere besides the bathroom. The formula for penetration or Kinetic Energy is Mass Weight x Speed squared equals K.E.

These true Big Game Hunters are the best of the best. They put their lives on the line every time they step out to do a days hunting, so they understand and can afford the best equipment money can buy, to kill effectively.

In the end, you can select and use whatever you prefer, but please don't liter these forums with opinions or bad information about what you think makes a good broadhead. That argument has long since been dispelled and proven by far better men than any of us.

Regards,

Jon

The best long range broadhead in my opinion is a mechanical 100 grain. Fixed broadheads have known to not fly very good. If you're looking for a good brand I would go with Grim Reaper or Rage. They both fly very good at long distances.

I like tusker broad heads. There very popular here in Australia and there designed to take down wild boar and Australian water buffalo, however they all so make a few small game heads for rabbits. All of there heads are of a traditional two blade design and made in Australia.

I've shot a number at ranges 80 to 90 yards at 325 fps.
Terminal T's
Shuttle T's
Wasp Boss
Wasp Drone
Cabelas STK-3
Wac'em XL
Muzzy (not recommended)

Accuracy: Each one needs to be tuned a bit differently but once tuned, they all fly great at extended ranges except for the Muzzy's. Some tend to plane a little at the really long ranges but a pin adjustment can fix that.
Durability: Shuttle T and Terminal T
Penetration: Wasp Drone
Sharpness: Wac'em

I usually buy a new brand every other year or so just to give them a whirl. I usually buy whichever one is on sale

Favorite any range heads are Rt Wing single bevel Grizzly and Ace double bevel. Both weighing around 200grs with the inserts.