what is your favorite LR broadhead?

thanks for the input.

this will be New York states first year for crossbow. we will be able to use a crossbow during any gun season. I look forward to the challenge.

I'm glad i have the spring and summer to hone my skills with the Tac 15.

reading these forums, gathering my own data and compiling the information has be interesting.

The good old Magnus and the newer Stingers is what I shoot on every thing here in West Wyoming.
They may not have the flash and bling compared to some other big name heads but the critters do not read the advertisements!
I have shot these from traditional bows and from my PSE X-FORCE and they all fly great but when it comes to penetration then the old style cut on contact beats them all!
I am not shooting small Whitetail's but ELK, BEAR and if I live so long to draw a moose tag they will get the call.
So far I have 2 P&Y critters with Magnus.
I know people use other broad heads and that is fine. Just make sure the advertisements do not blind your choices. Some times simple and old fashioned may be just the ticket.
One more thing what other company will give you a free replacements for any reason.
With the prices as they are this company gives you a win win combinationlightbulb!

I have folded over way more than one stinger, that is part of what lead me to steel force phat head. The cut on contact is twice as thick as the stinger and flies like a dart.Taken 1000 lb game and my 320 gross bull last year was a pass threw, called him # 14 ,6x6

If that broad head work for you and I have no doubt it it is a good one then by all means shoot it.
I have been shooting Magnus now for over 15 years and I have 100% confidants in it's ability to
fly like a dart at over 340 FPS and penetration are pass throughs even i heavy bone.
I do not think your choice is a bad one and maybe even a better head than mine due to curling
which I have had but like I said I still have 100% confidents in Magnus plus if I break, bend chich or what ever I get new ones free!
The most important thing to me is make sure they are sharp then hit em where they live!
Best of luck on this years hunt!lightbulb

Slick Tricks fly better than any other fixed blade head I have tried. There are other good ones but nothing like the Tricks! The damage caused by the 4 blades makes it nearly impossible for a cut to close up which helps drastically with recovery. Penetration is much better than mechanicals too so too me they are the best of all worlds.

My second choice would be the Innerloc Stainless Extremes.

If I couldn't get those I would look at some of the better made 2 blade heads like Magnus.

Slick Tricks fly better than any other fixed blade head I have tried. There are other good ones but nothing like the Tricks! The damage caused by the 4 blades makes it nearly impossible for a cut to close up which helps drastically with recovery. Penetration is much better than mechanicals too so too me they are the best of all worlds.

My second choice would be the Innerloc Stainless Extremes.

If I couldn't get those I would look at some of the better made 2 blade heads like Magnus.
I am sure you like your Broad head just fine. Getting my Magnus to fly like a dart has never been a trick.
Lets talk ELK, MOOSE, MULE DEER! Not white tails
I am not going to go tit for tat here but first I would like to know;
How long have you been Bow Hunting?
How many head of Heavy Game have you shot and recovered?(No White Tails)
Slick Trick is a good head but come on now the best in the world?
I just so you know do shoot a 4 blade head and I will put my Magnus against your Slick trick on heavy bone at 25 yrds at the speeds I shoot any day!
Enjoy your set up and I am glad it works for you!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am sure you like your Broad head just fine but making a stattement like better than any other in the world is just amazing to me.
How many head of game have you shot and recovered and I am not talking white tailed deer.
Lets talk ELK, MOOSE, MULE DEER!
I am not going to go tit for tat here but first I would like to know;
How long have you been Bow Hunting?
How many head of Heavy Game have you shot and recovered?(No White Tails)
What Bow Hunting Mags do you read and or what Bow Hunting Shows do you watch?
Slick Trick is a good head but come on now the best in the world?
I just so you know do shoot a 4 blade head and I will put my Magnus against your Slick trick on heavy bone at 25 yrds at the speeds I shoot any day!
Enjoy your set up and I am glad it works for you!:rolleyes:

Friend, you may want to re-read my post and not skim over it this time. I specifically said they are the best I have tried. Where did you get this "in the world" stuff?

Maybe you misread the part when I was comparing them to mechanicals, saying that IMO Tricks provide the best of both worlds ( a common saying in my part of the country) in that they cut a lot of extra tissue because of the extra 4th blade compared to most fixed heads that have only 3 blades. But they still fly very well (which is a typical advantage of mechanicals)

Also, read the end of my post. I listed Magnus as well as one of my favorites. What am I missing here?

I live in Idaho so I don't hunt whitetails. Last years bull was number 14 for me with a bow, a nice 7x7. Mule deer? I have lost count. No Moose.

I also understand advertising for what it is, a biased attempt to influence customers to buy their product, so I don't rely on it when choosing what to purchase, if that was your insinuation. This is one of the reasons I am on a chat forum like this, because I trust actual user input to put me on the right track if I don't have personal experience with a product. I was assuming this is why the OP was asking OUR opinions. Maybe I am wrong here

Also, if you are really wanting to compare performance on heavy bone then we are in no way on the same page of how to properly shoot an animal with archery equipment at least not with traditional setups.

If you want to talk about extreme FOC setups like Dr Ashby endorses, which requires a total arrow weight of at least 650 grains and head weights of 200+grains, 2 blades, and single bevel edges then there may be a discussion to have. But with typical 350-450 grain arrows with multiple blade heads in the 85-125gr range we simply will have to agree to disagree. There should never be a time when you are taking a shot in an attempt to hit heavy bone, nor should you be confident in said setup to perform with any consistency. This is especially true for elk and less for mule deer but I have seen a number of shoulder point hits on bug mulies that did not penetrate and left only surface wounds.

It may also be important to note that Slick Trick was the company that started the entire low profile head craze which almost every manf has now implemented. It is by far the best selling design out there, not because of advertising but because they fly better. Magnus not included, but most large headed broadheads didn't and don't fly like field points, they plane in the wind and and are a general pain in the butt. Some due should be given to those that started the fixed head accuracy craze and IMO still lead the pack. My opinion of course.

Below are a couple pics I could come up with at work. Hope they suffice your curiosity. The 2 large elk were taken at 50 and 55 yards with complete pass throughs and dropped within 50 yards of where they were shot. No heavy bone hits for me! 2pt deer 05.jpg6x7 bull 05_1.jpg6x7bull2 05Touchup.jpgIMG_2244  Elk 2010.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I did misread your post and i tried to edit my response.
What I meant by heavy bone was not to mean aim for or try to hit bone, after all my bow is not a 7stw but worse case when it hits a bone.
Good looking Deer and Elk there, congratulations.
Maybe some day I may try another but I seem to keep reaching for the Magnus.
Where in Idaho are you? I am in Star valley, Wy.
This will teach me not to reread a post before sending it out.lightbulb

Yes I did misread your post and i tried to edit my response.
What I meant by heavy bone was not to mean aim for or try to hit bone, after all my bow is not a 7stw but worse case when it hits a bone.
Good looking Deer and Elk there, congratulations.
Maybe some day I may try another but I seem to keep reaching for the Magnus.
Where in Idaho are you? I am in Star valley, Wy.
This will teach me not to reread a post before sending it out.lightbulb

I live in Nampa, close to Boise, but do all of my hunting in Central Idaho. I love WY! Low taxes, good people, lots of wildlife and wide open places.

I do the same thing to the Idaho elk:)

Attachments

• horns-10 007.jpg
    horns-10 007.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 170
Well, last year my economy kept me away from them, I hunt up in the pan handle, like that step rugged country,starting to get hard on me:)If my economy improves I'll be over wolf hunting, it only 3-4 hrs for me.

I just got into bowhunting and I have to say that the 100 gr slick trick magns are pretty awesome. I have tried montecs g5 but the slick tricks work better for me. I have only shot out to 30 yds with them so I am as you can tell VERY new to this sport. I am enjoying it a lot and will be setting up my 40 up pin tomorrow. I am going to practice out to 60 but will only be shooting at animals 50 yds or less. Just taking it slow and getting used to the proper techniques.

I put in for an archery elk hunt here in new Mexico and it is an archery and muzzleloader only unit so of I draw I will have a good chance of seeing some pretty good bulls.

Ya, slick tricks are the real deal. I have tried about every head out there at one time or another and there isn't anything better than the ST's! And since they changed to the stronger steel the are nearly bomb proof!

LOVE MY TRICKS!

Scot E.