What do you think the most popular .308 bullet weight is for long range shooting

What do you think is most accurate bullet weight for long range shooting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bman940

What do you think the most popular bullet weight and make is for long range shooting?
Please stick to loaded ammo and not hand loads.
thanks,

I voted for 168 simply because so much of the tactical and target ammo is that weight. You did not put 155 grains on your poll which is the Palma bullet and that is definitely popular for long range shooting.

I really think that 150 grains is about perfect in my .308 as far as getting the most efficient velocity for the case capacity and with the new copper high BC bullets available I am now only shooting the 150's. Worked fine on last year's deer and hope to test it on another one in 6 weeks.

If 175 was on the list, that is what I would go for. The problem with 168's is there inability to go to 1000. I will clarify that is mostly with the 168SMK. The 168 a-max will get there just fine. Not sure about the berger, but have a feeling it works fine also.

Tank

Another vote for 175 SMK..

The 168 was really originally developed for 300 yards and really doesn't stay as well stabilized out past 600 yards as the 175's.. The 175 SMK is my bullet of choice out to and past 1000yards.

I appreciate all the responses and PM's. Sorry I didn't add 175 gr.
The consensus seems to be 168 is fine to 3-400 yards, after that the 175 is king.
Thanks guys!

I have been shooting 175's a lot, but out to 600 yards in my 308, I would go for the 168 only because I have a lot of time on it and have gotten my best and most cosistant performance with it. While I almost always hand load, in a pinch, factory Federal Match 168's perform excellently and with only minor adjustments to my scope zero and ballistics data if any at all.

Here's an added twist tot he question. Most of my friends that shoot long range targets don't hunt with these heavy rifles, What bullet would you use for both target and hunting?

Here's an added twist tot he question. Most of my friends that shoot long range targets don't hunt with these heavy rifles, What bullet would you use for both target and hunting?

Depends on how far you want to shoot. 150-168 will carry you to 600 easy even in a light rifle. 175-180 is an all around good choice for hunting and target. Pick your poison!

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.