What Caliber for XP-100

Gray R

Hey everyone. I've got an XP-100 at Nine Run being built right now but it looks like im gonna sell it once it gets finished. I was going to build a 6 BR but I want something that will be likely to sell. Any ideas? Its been trued had a Defiance side bolt release put on and I've got a McMillan centergrip stock in gap camo I believe that will be here next week. Current location won't do this gun justice so I'm just gonna sell it and reinvest in a more location friendly firearm. Any tips on what people are looking for would be great! Also anyone interested in maybe buying the finished product please speak up we can work something out. Thanks!!

I personally like a caliber that I can walk into the gun shop and buy ammo for if need be.

So, that said, it would be either 243 or 308.

And if you're talking hunting and target, I would lean towards 308 as a short barrel (15"?) runs out of steam at around 500-600 yards.

Your gun, your choice.

Larry
Tinkerer

7br, 6.5BR, 6.5BRX. All work pretty well from 15" barrels. You get to use faster burning powders with the bigger bore and less comes out the front wasted. Tell you what though, if you put that up on steelchickens.com you'll have a much better chance of getting someone that really wants it and can tell you what reamer they'd like to use... many will have their preferred reamer on hand. Steelchickens is a metallic silhouette shooters forum. We have a pistol silhouette class in the sport that just loves using xp-100's. GLWS.

Expand a bit on location friendly... perhaps we can do some horse tradin'.

If you are wanting a all round hunting pistol, I would recommend a 7/08 or a 7/08x40.

I have hunted with many pistols and the 7/08 and XP 100 combination has been the best at extended ranges.

I have taken white tails beyond 500 yards with great results DRT I found that the 150 grain bullets seemed to be the best all round, and get the best velocity for the bullet weight.

Mine is a center grip and that gives it the best balance.

There are many other calibers that will do fine for most hunting but the 7/08 is at the top of the food chain as far as I am concerned with a very wide range of bullets with good ballistics.

J E CUSTOM

JE I'll certainly keep that in mind. I love the 7-08 in an 18 rifle for my area but never thought about doing the pistol in it. Thanks for the lesson!

And ballistics guy, I had thought up the package in reference to a certain piece of property I was going to be hunting in north Georgia but the circumstances have us living back in the southern part of the state over on the coast and none of the property I have access to around here has any extended range so im going to be back hunting with my 41 mag. I'm recently developing an interest in handgun matches and im selling all my longer range stuff to buy pistol and equipment for the local matches. It's always different than we'd planned right!

Hey everyone. I've got an XP-100 at Nine Run being built right now but it looks like im gonna sell it once it gets finished. I was going to build a 6 BR but I want something that will be likely to sell. Any ideas? Its been trued had a Defiance side bolt release put on and I've got a McMillan centergrip stock in gap camo I believe that will be here next week. Current location won't do this gun justice so I'm just gonna sell it and reinvest in a more location friendly firearm. Any tips on what people are looking for would be great! Also anyone interested in maybe buying the finished product please speak up we can work something out. Thanks!!

6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 284 Winchester.
Michael does great work.

P

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.