What Barrel?

Nvram

Hi i´m getting my AR15(5,56Nato) Rebarreled, and i´m not sure what barrel to use, should be a 18" Rifle one. Rifle will be used to shoot crows, geese, and varmint.
Planing to use 68 /69 gr HPBT Ammo
Got 3 Barrels that may be ok but not too sure which one to use
1.18" 223 Wylde Match Rifle-Length Barrel : RAINIER ARMS AR-15/M16 223 WYLDE MATCH BARRELS | Brownells
2.AR-15/M16 18" 5.56 Mk12 Barrel SS 1/2-28 : DPMS AR-15/M16 5.56 MK12 BARREL | Brownells
3.18" Rifle SPR Barrel : WHITE OAK ARMAMENT AR-15/M16 223 WYLDE MATCH BARRELS | Brownells

also i´m not to sure if a 1-7 or 1-8 Twist will be the better choice my old barrel was able to hold 5moa on 100yrds thats the reason it gets thrown out.
Best regards

5.56/.223 does just fine with a 16" barrel with a carbine-length gas system... I can understand you wanting the 18" barrel length, but not sure why it "has" to be a rifle-length gas system? Gas blocks and gas tubes are very cheap, you can pick and choose whatever length gas system you want.

Rainier Arms makes excellent barrels. I used a couple of their barrels on upper builds...Very accurate.

Here's my suggestions...

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-mid
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-18-spr
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-mountain-series-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-5-56mm-nato

Well in Germany the barrel has to be at least 16.5" to use it as sporting rifle, right now i´m using a 16 which is fine for hunting but not allowed to shoot matches with

I have used the WOA barrels and they are extremely accurate.
8 twist is good for the bullets weight you will use, 7 twist for 77gr and heavier. I have run a 75gr in a 1-8 that with great results.
Have not used the other two you listed so I can't comment.

Well in Germany the barrel has to be at least 16.5" to use it as sporting rifle, right now i´m using a 16 which is fine for hunting but not allowed to shoot matches with

Hello,

Well since your in Germany I would suggest Lothar Walther. They make finished barrels for ARs.

THEIS

i've always heard great things about rainier and WOA. you wont go wrong with either.

decided to go with Rainier 18" with a Rifle Gas system:)
now i need that **** MK12 Muzzle break/ Flashhider:)
Thanks for the help!

I'd say you did very well with the Rainier. I have a Rainier Ultramatch in the same 18" with a rifle gas system and it's a fantastic barrel.

Got first results from the Gunsmith who tried out the barrel after mounting, shoots 10mm groups at 100m with cheap S&B 69gr loads, i think with handloads it should get even better
thanks a lot for the help everyone

Got first results from the Gunsmith who tried out the barrel after mounting, shoots 10mm groups at 100m with cheap S&B 69gr loads, i think with handloads it should get even better
thanks a lot for the help everyone

Congrats, those Rainier barrels are awesome. Pretty sure a lot of them are either Rock Creek or Shilen blanks.

Glad to see your Rainier Arms barrel working out for you. They are super-high quality. Love all of mine.

That's roughly a 0.315" 5-shot group... That's pretty **** solid. And also matches my experiences with their barrels.

Keep us updated as your load progression continues.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.