What are the advantages of a .25-06?

Good evening, For those that are shooting the 25.06 with Berger and Nosler 115 grain bullets, I would like to know what twist your barrels have ? Based on the lengths of the two bullets (Berger 1.20 , Nosler 1.205) I believe they are a 9 twist. But, I would realy like to know the twist and barrel length. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I was going to say, the only thing I know of with a 16" twist is the 416 Rigby. . Its kept me from buying or building a Rigby. 10"-14" is a good 416 twist.

I've been thinking about the 25/06 . The problem I have with it is it's too fast for fox at close range. Plus fmjbt bullets aren't available for it.

Get a bullet that will go right through them. When I deer hunt I use my 30/06 and it usually goes right through them. Of course if you hit a bone then the bullet will fragment.

B A T F E. Made Barnes stop selling the Banded Solids to the public. . I wish I had bought a truck load of them when they were available. If I get a 25/06 I'll try the TSX on fur and see how it does.

I don't have a problem with expanding bullets on coyote and up. But can you imagine blowing a 4" hole out the back side of a wolverine. .

Justin - How much have you shot that Savage LRH with that scope? How do you like the scope? My guess is that you will like a 28" barrel in the 6.5-.284 Norma, but some guys are using a 30" barrel. I expect a 30-incher to rob some velocity, but world-class accuracy is somewhere out there in the longer barrels. The Norma is getting a reputation as a barrel burner at about 1,000 to 1,500 rounds, and the best accuracy often comes after the first shortening. Each gun is different, but lots of reports of 27" to 29" being the best.

Cold Trigger Finger - I doubt I would use a boat-tailed FMJ slug on fox at close range. I guess fur is your priority? Something that stops inside him and does not blow an exit wound out the back might work better. I like a .22-250 on fox and coyote at mid-ranges (200 - 600 yds), with a semi-metal jacketed slug, a .25-'06 out at longer ranges (500 - 800), and that 6.5-.284 Norma for longer work (500 - 1,200) with a Barnes Triple-Shok on coyote and fox. Of course, I can't make an appointment with the critters and have the gun of choice and the perfect load every time either.... :-( The medium-light slugs and lighter loads in .25-'06 with a fairly quick expanding slug might do exactly the job on a fox.

Good luck, and I'd like to hear back on that.

Well I ordered the rifle today. It got ordered today any way. So I'm 1 step closer to finding out how it will work on everything. .
If all I was going to hunt was fox I think the 17 Hornet would be ideal.
I think the 6.5 Creed will be an ideal Interior Alaska winter rifle. But the 25/06 would also work . It good on caribou, would be good on wolf but I don't know about the smaller stuff.
Time will tell I spose.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts