Weatherby build-What caliber would you choose?

Damo450

Hello everyone. A few months back I purchased a MKV from a friend as a favor with the idea of building my dream Weatherby. SO, tonight I bought a BNIB MKV ultra lightweight stock ($175, good deal for me!) and I have talked to the weatherby custom shop about re-barreling. Now for the kicker. What cartridge???? Its a 7mm Mag now so I am in the .257, .270, 7mm, .300, .340 family. I was dead set on the .257 but find myself wondering about the 7mm. Ive had a MKV in .300 a few years ago and it was a major thumper. But this will be a whitetail/mule deer rifle. I have a custom .257 Ackley featherweight pre-64' that is my go to rifle for almost everything. I'm just afraid if I don't go with a different caliber I may just keep reaching for the Ackley. I've always wanted a Weatherby MKV "custom" to me. I like light rifles and easy shooting rifles. If it were a 6 lug gun I'd chamber it to .240. But I digress. What say the pros on here?

Thank you.

Damo

Sell me the Ackley cheap, then barrel it for the .257!

.257 Weatherby was the first full size rifle I ever shot so it's a sentimental favorite. Played with other peoples never had one.

Then again I have a thing for pre-64's.

OMG so many options. I prefer to build my own but would love to have the option to take one over to the factory and have something built by Weatherby just for me..

If you want to go whole hog custom to you how about a 6.5/270 Weatherby Magnum. Remove the rear magazine spacer, slot the bolt so it goes back all the way 300 mag follower. Magic, no COAL limits.

It's one I don't have....

257 Weatherby is everything a 257 should be. Yes you would have the dilemma of which one to take.

I have 257, 270, 7mm, 300 (several as build actions). I made a 338 Edge out of a Mark V.

450, if you are sending it to Weatherby for rebarrel, how about the new 6.5/300Wby? They are scorchers, good choice of bullets and the reloading components are the same cost as other Weatherby calibers. I have a .270Wby nearing barrel death and am leaning toward the 6.5/300 for the new barrel chamber. Good luck with your choice.

morning, 6.5x300 or 6.5x7mmwbee. I built a 7mmwbee, 9 lug action german,

SS #6 contour 28" Hart barrel , timmey trigger, and H&S special order

A5 combat stock. THIS is fun to shoot. the 7mmwbee is not as popular

as the other 7mm's. my favorite choice. 145gr. TTSX Barnes bullets. I have

five wbee's. all r customed by me. I buy the actions and install Hart barrels.

I also have sako's, rem.'s and Winchesters.

THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

I think you are on the right track with the .257 for deer. I've yet had one walk away from mine. Two things you will want to be very specific about to gain over your AI. Do at least a 26" barrel mine has a 28". And be very adamant about getting a 1/8 twist. This allows your to shoot high bc custom bullets if you choose. I have a 1/10 twist so I'm stuck with the 115 nosler. I am very happy with that it's flattened everything out to 600 yards with ease. I have many happy hunts with it. It's actually my favorite rifles to take.

Is there something wrong with the barrel that is on there now?

Just asking.

The Ultra Lightweight stock is OK, but often will have aluminum at the pillars only, and not the full bedding block like other B&C stocks. It can still function very well, but it's something to be aware of.

Like Fred I have Weatherbys in several calibers. If there were ever a chance you'd take it for elk or something larger, I would stick with the 7mm or larger.

morning, the 340WBY is the ultimate long range caliber. pick the

right bullet and hunt any species u want. very accurate. I have 2.

1 custom on rem. action, 1 Accu-mark. people will disagree.

THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

I would either go .257, giving you a "big brother " to your Ackley, or with the new 6.5-300 as it is their velocity champ.

I would choose the 6.5-300 wby.
I have one in the ultra lightweight model and it shoots sub 1/2" three shot groups with 127 grain Barnes LRX. Just my opinion. I own a 257 weatherby mag with a 28" barrel in a Ruger #1. It shoots 3/4". I also have a 300 weatherby mark V my first rifle purchased in 1971. 1-1/2" groups. I love my new 6.5-300 weatherby! It is has the best designed stock I have ever shouldered.the most accurate rifle,too. I have hunted as much as anyone I know over 50 years. I come from a family of hunters and started at about 8 with a 22. I have shot just about all the major gun companies manufactured in the USA. I just prefer the feel and accuracy of a weatherby. I am not rich but I have spent my life finding ways to afford to hunt all over this country and for all the game we have here except for sheep and goats. My opinion is too go ahead for a 6.5-300 weatherby. I plan on using mine for the remaining years I have left.

OMG so many options. I prefer to build my own but would love to have the option to take one over to the factory and have something built by Weatherby just for me..

If you want to go whole hog custom to you how about a 6.5/270 Weatherby Magnum. Remove the rear magazine spacer, slot the bolt so it goes back all the way 300 mag follower. Magic, no COAL limits.

It's one I don't have....

257 Weatherby is everything a 257 should be. Yes you would have the dilemma of which one to take.

I have 257, 270, 7mm, 300 (several as build actions). I made a 338 Edge out of a Mark V.

This gets my vote!

I have been thinking hard about the 6.5-300 but didn't really give it a lot of thought. I would probably be done in the rifle department with that until I need a .340 or the like for large bears or a T-Rex. I appreciate all the replies. I will let you know next month what I choose. It's an exciting time we live with all the great shooting options we have.

I have a 240 Wby on a mauser action with a 30" 1-8 twist barrel taht shoots 115 Bergers accurately. I have killed several antelope at and beyond 1000 yards with it. It is more than adequate for deer.

I also have a Ruger #1 in 257 Wby with a 28 " 1-8 twist barrel that I shot 130 custom bullets. I have killed antelope to 1000 yards with it s well as several whitetails and several cow elk.

If I was to build another rifle for a Wby cartridge it would be for the 6.5-300 and have a 26-28 inch 1-8 twist barrel for 140 Bergers. Be a wonderful deer/elk rifle.

Attachments

• elk2014 (6).jpg
    elk2014 (6).jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.