Weatherby’s Newest Vanguard: The Series 2 And The .257 Weatherby Magnum

I've been considering a S2 since they were first announced but still haven't bought one yet. Now they also come with nice walnut stocks for another $100.

I am left wondering if another powder would consistently produce cloverleaf groups like the one attained with RL25. If these are truly submoa rifles, it seems like they should be capable of that.

With powder supplies the way the are (or should I say "aren't"), I am much less inclined to shoot magnums. Yea, a 40% increase in powder gives 3% increase in velocity and significantly more recoil. You do the math. This put the 7mm RM into load dev and sighting in only mode, then into the safe until needed for a hunting venture. Bummer about the powder situation...I wonder if it will ever return to former availability.

I don't know where the only 100fps over the 25/06 comes from that I hear about all the time. one just needs to look at the hodgdon manual. with a 100 grain bullet max velocity for the 25/06 is 3295 with h100v, the 257 wby is 3655 with 7828. 360fps difference. step up to 120 grain pills, 3065 with imr 4831 in the 25/06, 3325 with 7828 in the weatherby case. 260 fps difference. as far as recoil goes, my 14 year old shoots the crap out of my vanguard 257wby. bout the same as my 270.

When You say "max range", what exactly are you referring to? Max range for deer, elk,varmints, target? With the right bullet (and placement) it will reach out and kill deer size game probably further than most folks can shoot. The .257 Wby is a wonderful cartridge, I own a Vanguard S2 in .257 and get decent accuracy out of all available Weatherby ammo, most being sub moa. Hand loads are fantastic. Ive gotten my groups down to .29 3 shot groups at 100. It is only good with 3 shots at a time tho..... they heat up quickly and POI changes dramatically after the 3rd shot( at least mine does).

I have several 257 Weatherby's and both are tack drivers. I have taken elk and deer out to almost 500 yards with 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets and "H-1000 powder pushing the bullet out at about 3450. My groups for both are Sub-MOA. I would think anything further than that on and elk sized animal would be pushing it on the down range energy side but for deer I would not hesitate to shoot it to 600-700 yards with practice.

Realizing this is an old post I still felt compelled to add my 2 cents worth. I purchased the Vanguard Series 2 in 25-06. I don't hand load and the price difference between 25-06 and 257 Weatherby Mag is substantial. My rifle's trigger has been great out of the box and the rifle has shot sub MOA at 100 yards from the git go. It may be barely sub MOA at times, but it is none the less. I can shoot 4 to 5 rounds before having to let the barrel cool down. That's fine by me. I use it primarily for coyote and hopefully an antelope hunt this year. I have two other rifles that I use on P-Dogs and other small furry rodents that end up being high volume days. I have always wanted a quarter bore. It wasn't a need in that I have most anything I want to hunt covered with other rifles and calibers, but I really did want one. I personally am glad I went with the 25-06. It shoots flat, fast and accurately enough for any hunting I would do with it. As stated I couldn't justify the difference in ammunition cost to get the 257 Magnum. The 25-06 has a soft recoil (the Vanguard butt pad is really well made)and the Series 2 ergonomics feel good when shouldering the rifle. I have a Vortex Viper 4-16X50 mounted which turned out to be a good choice for me. The barrel does tend to foul after 10 rounds give or take, but is easily rectified with a quick brush down, wet patch and a couple of dry patches. I'd buy another Vanguard Series 2 in a heartbeat. It was well worth the money. The next one I'd get a stainless barrel perhaps. JMHO

love vanguards and weatherby in general i have owned 2. a 308 win and a 270 win two of my favorite calibers both are super accurate. i have friends who have the 257 wby and love it and i have friends who hate it. if you reload its great but if you dont its not

I'm betting that 180's are too much for the twist in your barrel. I have the same rifle with a medalist stock that shoots 1/2 MOA. I shoot 150 gr Barnes TSX

I own two .257 "B's" and they are both are tack drivers. I picked up an S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor the other day and with factory Hornady 120 AMAX Match it is shooting 0.37 at a 100 (3 shot group). Shooting steel out to 300 the group was 1.7. I didn't think that was too bad for a "right out of the box rifle" for $500. I also noticed that Hornady put the recipe right on the box as well. Powder, primer, and COAL. I thought that was kind of nice of them. :D

I own a pair of 257 weatherbys, one original series stainless Vangaurd and just purchased the Rem CDL SF version which I've yet to shoot. I absolutely love this round. To me, it kills whitetails with just as much authority as my 7 MM Sendero. My wife enjoys shooting it due to the modest recoil. It has anchored every whitetail we've shot at. Love that it shoots flat enough that she can just point and shoot because she's not the greatest at range estimation and sometimes you just dont have the time to range a deer especially towards last light when deer stage up and pour into a field all at once. Definitely want to reload for any wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.