Wanting some opinions

SC

A buddy has a Browning X-bolt in 300 WM. It is a really nice rifle and was very accurate. Even the "bad" groups were pretty good with that rifle. The trigger is way too stiff however and adjustment is not easily done. As I recall my buddy had to change out some springs to get the pull down to a reasonable poundage. He couldn't find any aftermarket triggers or he would have done that instead. So.... make sure you can live with the factory trigger before you put your money down.

SC

A buddy has a Browning X-bolt in 300 WM. It is a really nice rifle and was very accurate. Even the "bad" groups were pretty good with that rifle. The trigger is way too stiff however and adjustment is not easily done. As I recall my buddy had to change out some springs to get the pull down to a reasonable poundage. He couldn't find any aftermarket triggers or he would have done that instead. So.... make sure you can live with the factory trigger before you put your money down.

Yeah I noticed that there's no aftermarket triggers for it as well. Only a replacement spring. I'll check it out. Thanks for all the input! Now to just start reloading haha

Yeah I noticed that there's no aftermarket triggers for it as well. Only a replacement spring. I'll check it out. Thanks for all the input! Now to just start reloading haha

SC, Timney has a 2 spring set and the install looks pretty easy. $28.07 on Timneys site. FYI I bought a Tikka T-3 with a walnut stock a few weeks ago from a friend in need. That trigger adjusts to 2# in about 5 seconds and was as crisp as fresh corn chips. I borescoped the barrel and it was almost free of machine marks on a rifle which looks like new. Can't wait to shoot it when it cools off here (118 degrees) today. Good luck

SC

I am going through that right now on a Hell's canyon 300 Win Mag. The trigger is crisp but too heavy even when adjusted all the way down. I can only get it to go as low as 3.5 pounds and I am convinced that after many attempts at finding that tuned load that the trigger is keeping from getting below 1 MOA consistently. As it turns out, there are no after market lighter springs for the x bolt, and the only after market trigger I can find is a Jard at something like $260. So I measured the factory spring and ended up using a Ruger 10/22 spring. It is the same diameter and coil spacing, but the wire diameter is 0.016 vs the 0.018 for the x bolt factory spring. One other thing is the Ruger spring is 0.5 inches long and the x bolt factory spring is 0.270 long. Need to cut the Ruger obviously but a pack of 3 costs about $7. Anxious to try the $7 option before the $260 option.

xarcher

I hope your trick works. It is a shame you have to even mess around like this. You would think that a company that can build a pretty good rifle would also understand that a too heavy trigger can ruin the whole package. I would like to have an x-bolt but not with that trigger. Get a clue Browning.

enginerring101,
Do you remember what springs your friend purchased for the xbolt trigger? I would like to change mine.
Thanks, Brad

Yes per Timney that set only works for the A-bolt. They stated they are in production talks for a trigger for the Xbolt, however they told me that for the last 2 years! Looks like if I want a quality trigger I will go with JARD.

xarcher

I hope your trick works. It is a shame you have to even mess around like this. You would think that a company that can build a pretty good rifle would also understand that a too heavy trigger can ruin the whole package. I would like to have an x-bolt but not with that trigger. Get a clue Browning.
Guys, IT WORKED! The Ruger 10/22 spring, cut down from 0.5 inches to 0.270 inches reduced the trigger pull from 3.5 pounds to 2.0 pounds. It didn't hurt to have a buddy who works in a machine shop. He did a great job of bending the cut end to replicate a flat end then kissed it with a grinder to make it look just like the factory flat end with the naked eye. In the picture, from top to bottom is the factory spring, the full ruger spring and the cut ruger spring. I am not convinced that the cut end must be flattened to make it work, but why not try to make it that way.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 45
Ok, new guy here. I've been reading on here for a while now and finally joined. Wanted to get the opinion of guys with a lot more experience than I have. Been hunting and shooting for 20+ years so have a decent knowledge base, but this is my first attempt at long range. Want a rifle for deer and some long range shooting (600 yards- long range for me haha).

Same situation here, except I'm trying to decide on a scope. Really liked the Vortex Viper HS-T scope, but seems like several people on here are trying to sell theirs. Problems with them? Planning on using it on a Remington Ultimate muzzleloader for NM elk, and then switching it over to a 7mm. Thoughts?

You can't go wrong with Vortex. Solid company. Good value. Unconditional guarantee. You can run over it with your truck, put the pieces in a box and return it, and they will send you a new one. Not saying people aren't having problems but that is the exception.

Just a follow up to the modified spring story. I took the best group out of the gun with the 3.5 lb spring and shot four more of the same cartridge but now with the 2.0 lb spring. Went from a 1.5 inch group to a four shot group with 3 making one ragged hole and the fourth about 0.7 MOA to the left.

Attachments

• IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 32
25-06 is very limited on bullet selection I would choose something in 6.5mm, 7mm, or 30cal just for the bullet selection alone. Get a scope with external or target knobs and make sure the knobs and retical match both moa or mil.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.