• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Want to buy a 6mm something

Bullmark

Ok guys, my sickness has reached epic proportions. Once upon a time I had a safe full of nice rifles and shotguns. Then my business went through a really rough patch and my cash flow was crushed almost overnight. Having two young boys at the time, both w/ learning disabilities and one w/ other special needs, forced me to sell them off.....along with some other things that I thought I'd never ever sell.
Fast forward a few yrs and things have rebounded, hard lessons were learned, and I'm slowly filling up the safe.
Im mainly a Hunter but joining this group has sparked some interest in doing some long range shooting.
I'm trying to find a nice rifle that would fill a void. I have two tack drivers, a .280ai and 6.5prc, that shoot 168s and 140s respectively. I'm thinking something in the 6mm family that will perform well with 100-110gr pills.
My list of features are as follows, and some may seem peculiar but that's just me.
1. No magazine extending 5-6".....that's just a personal preference. I do like the HS that only hangs down an inch or so.
2. barrel no longer than 24", but at least 20".
3. Weighs less than 9lbs bare.
4. If it's some obscure caliber I'll need some loaded rounds with the rifle. I don't reload and don't think it's a good time to start.
5. I really prefer a traditional hunting build....the tactical stuff is great but not for this buy.
6. I'll buy off the rack but not usually. A Cooper or proof would do the trick, along with a few others.
7. I would consider a wood stock....but a composite is more likely to trip my trigger.
So that's about it. I almost bought a proof 6CM recently (on this site) but someone beat me to it.
Most of you guys have forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know.....so please give advice on calibers, builds, whatever.
Oh, I forgot budget....I have one but I never stick to it, so if you have something you'd like to move, send it.
Thanks to everyone.

Well, a 243 Winchester is a good place to start for most hunters. I came really close to buying a new old stock Montanna Rifle Company 6XC which is a bit harder to source factory loaded but, not that hard in "normal times".

Close to, but not exactly what you are looking for, is a 257 Weatherby. I have one in a Weatherby Vanguard form with a 26" barrel that is a really easy choice for a CONUS hunter and most target species - skip Elk and big bears in Alaska IMHO.