Valle Calderas 2013

marioq

OK... I have had a full plate since I got back from my hunt and I have had to put posting my hunt on the back burner... Sorry guys and girls that may read but here is the truth about the Valle Calderas.........

So The Furlough had an impact on the people that work on the Valle... they were reinstated on Thursday but had already made changes to the hunt and we were going to go with a free for all instead of the usual pick a unit out of a hat and that is what you hunted.... SO, Friday morning we went to scout and see what we could see from the road and the gates were closed and we could not see anything but from the freeway... Saw 2 6x6s fighting and could hear the horns from 800 yards... that was an Awesome sight!!!!!
we saw the elk working up a drainage and thought that would be a good place to start so that was the plan.

So at noon we had our meeting and was able to scout the whole place. Still liked the early AM hunt up the drainage.
Ok, here is the set up. We were the only people who saw the elk work that drainage... we set up on the hill, wind coming off the hill away from the elk. They started walking slow up to the drainage. 646 am shooting time and they had to get over the road to be on legal ground to shoot.
Range at 680 and watch them. 3 bulls walking toward the drainage. Of course, number 3 is the biggest... so I settle in behind the NF 5.5x22 and zooom in to 22 power... see 3 is indeed the biggest and wait for him. 6:47 am the other 2 cross the line and are legal. 650 the last bull steps onto the road so he is legal but he is walking to us so I let him come......Well here is where things go hay wire..... A car starts driving up the road..... They are road hunting at opening shooting time.... my friend and I think WHAT THE F__K!!!!???? AND HE says shoot them... The BR2 read at 670 and I dialed 8 MOA for my 338 Lapua and let the 300 gr berger fly. BAM hit the leg... he stutters and keeps moving to the trees. Shoot a few more and hes on the move. DOnt hit anymore and we yell at the guy but of course he's too stupid to understand how bad he messed up my hunt...

Go down to find blood trail and start following in up the hill..........

3.5 hours later... we lost it... Then we walk and 3 minutes later this bull gets up and I put a 300 berger through his heart... 80 yard shot...
Packed it down in 2 trips and was beat at the end of the day...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/IMG_2152_zps7dcfcab7.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/IMG_2266_zps2de4c076.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/IMG_2264_zpsc5b334d0.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/IMG_2166_zps79a3cc72.jpg

So, Here is what I BELIEVE happened... MY chrono sucks hence why a magnetospeed is on order... I saw a post by riley and his velocity... Mine said 300 FPS..... I saw many others at 2700 or so with the same 93 gr retumbo... I went back and saw that I was 10 inches short based on my mis- chrono at 3000.... so I think that is the problem...

Here are the pics of the bullet damage... at 80 yards.. No exit ... hit scapula and blew up inside... Heart was in pieces.....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/marioq55/IMG_2162_zpsbba63ef0.jpg

underside of scapula.... bullet blew up and caused devastating damage....
Did not find the bullet..

Anyway, just my experience. I would surely encourage all to apply for the Valles Calderas. Mick and the crew were good and very helpful... The land is beautiful and the elk are unbelievable...

He scored 333 2/8

Thanks for reading!!!!

Mario

Outstanding Bull there Mario.

All else aside I'd say the big lesson learned here is to validate your data by shooting at, at least 3 different ranges.

I like to use 200, 400, 600yds. You can adjust the BC and/or velocity in your program until it matches your real field data and then these kinds of errors can be eliminated.

Of course next season you'll have to write up your results with the 7mm STW Elk Hunt for us HA! gun)

Congrats! Awesome bull.

I can highly endorse the MagnetoSpeed.

I've used mine twice at the rifle range with my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

No more error codes and consistent readings. Easy to switch to and fro from each of my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs too.

Yes!!!! Big lesson learned!!!! And I will be doing that. But my STWs don't have to wait till next year........... Nov 15 th I go to Montana for my combo elk and deer tag. Those girls get a chance to eat this year...... I hope

The magnetospeed has good reviews and that is why I bought it. Actually read a review from you and that tipped the bucket.
Thanks guys

Nice job Mario. In addition to validating your bullet performance at known distances, you can also 0 your rifle at 100, then shoot it at 700 or 800 yards. Don't change the MOA and measure the drop. Then plug that distance into a ballistic program. All of them have the bullet data needed and it will spit out the speed. You will need to have a method of measuring temp, pressure, altitude, etc. Plug all this in and bingo. Then go validate and you should be good to go.

I'm sure there are articles on this but this is how I learned it from Shawn Carlock and Darrel Holland. Shawn likes it out at longer ranges and Darrel likes it around 600 yards or a little more.

May I ask how many tickets were needed to get your tag? I've purchased a few in the past but I've heard that some buy hundreds of tickets for a chance at a tag. I'd love to give it a try someday.

Thanks

I have put in 3 years….. the first 2 were 600 bucks in tickets. This year I put 100 each for bow, muzzle and rifle. That was all I did this year…
It was a fabulous place and the wild life was unbelievable… I would encourage everyone to try to get a ticket there if you can… I think they were 10/15 on my hunt… The other hunts had 100% opportunity but not everyone shot…. So, it seems like the best odds of getting an elk if you get drawn. If you don't, you still might get the general draw in NM….

ANyway,
I will do those drops… Seems the easiest way to check… And, I have a BR-2 range finder so the temp pressure and the like are all done for me.

Thanks

Mario

Thanks. I too have a BR2 and need to do a little more validating but so far it's been pretty darn good.

I just ordered a rangefinder holder. I've had a hard time finding something that works with it being so large and found one from FHF gear. Should arrive this week and looking forward to see how it works.

Good luck in Montana.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.