URSA NorCal and SoCal, November 2017 - Events Recaps

ELR Researcher

19 Nov 2017 - Recap of the NorCal Nov '17 shoots (by SW RD, Lynn Dragoman, additions and minor edits by Facilitator)

We held our monthly NorCal URSA (unlimited range shooters association) match today. We had 9 shooters on the line and another 10-15 onlookers watching what we do.

Congratulations go out to CalGuns regular Focus on winning both matches!!!! He also got 8 out of 10 hits at 2054 yards which is the most hits since the inception of the URSA. He actually had 9 hits in a row if you include his last practice shot. Focus with his 8/10 got his final achievement point at 2000 yards plus he qualified for the upcoming (2018) 3K match.

CORRECTION (11/21 by Facilitator): In discussions with Lynn, it appears Focus won the first match at 2586 yards outright. He shot last during that record round and it appears his final shot resulted in the bracket holding the sensor onto the gong failed and chucked the sensor to the ground. The second match will need to be entirely re-shot at 2586.

We also had our first lady shooter on the line today and she got two hits with a 338 Lapua. I loaned Amy my heavy gun for match#2 and should became the first lady shooter to qualify at one of our matches!!! Congrats Amy!!!

After everyone qualified we had an equipment issue with a light sensor that CalGun regular Hoffer fixed temporarily with some paracord. It lasted until the hits vibrated the welds off the back of the gong.

The weather started out below freezing with very light wind but got better as the day went on. The lack of wind was a real pleasure to shoot in today!!!

WhiteMamba, Hoffer, and myself all got at least 5 hits at 2000+ qualifying us for the 3K as well. Hoffer went 7/7 before the light quit working the first time.

I would like to thank Hoffer, Brett, Ken, WhiteMamba, Focus, Aaron, Amy, and Josh plus Boygaun and all his friends for a very interesting match. I think if we had less trouble today with the light, someone could have run all 10 shots for record. We had 4 shooters get a first round hit after their sight-in period of 3 shots and some very impressive strings.

Special notes go out to Aaron with a 7 (in 10) and to Amy who got several hits while shooting my heavy gun without its front rest. They got hits and qualified while shooting off of a case of silicon caulking material wrapped in a large towel…when I managed to leave the front rest on my porch. [checklist? - added by Facilitator]

19 Nov 2017 - Recap of the SoCal Nov '17 shoot (by Facilitator)

After three months "down" for lack of shooters, we were overwhelmed this month with 12 shooters (4 new to URSA) and a couple of spectators – largest turnout ever for a SoCal event. Those sneaky guys from Las Vegas rolled in again and walked away with the vast majority of the glory. [I keep bugging Kurt that every time he shows up with a new guy I get that "ringer" feeling. Three times now to win or runner-up.] So...Bill won the event (2080 yards) and his LV buddy Robert came in Runner-Up (winning in Sudden Death against Mark). We also had three, totally cold bore, first round hits at 2080 – first time ever as best I recall (for one much less three) – Mark, Robert, and David (in order) and Mark's was the first shot of the day. Of the three shooters who qualified for record round, only Bill got 4 hits (during record round), so we did not proceed to 2630 yards (where steel was hung, just waiting to be hit).

Bill was shooting a Desert Tech HTI in 375 CT, 29" Lothar Walther barrel, Nightforce NSX 8-32x56 scope, MOAB 150-MOA rail interface, and Warner 361 gr Flatline bullets. Robert was shooting a Vestal's Gunsmithing & Custom Rifles' custom build in 375 CT, Stiller TAC408 action, 32" Rock Creek barrel, Mirage URL chassis, Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 scope, Ivey adjustable rings/base, and 377 gr Cutting Edge MTAC bullets. Both were shooting on their bellies off bipods, Kurt spotting.

Weather was cold, started with the typical minimal (near zero) wind but built up to a pretty substantial breeze by the time we finished up, mirage was ugly.

[Pics in the Gallery for both events, hopefully more to be added soon.]

Last edited:
It was really great! Thank you @ELR Researcher for your hard work.

It was a really great bunch. The guys from San Diego invited us to lunch after and we had a great chat. I got some pointers for next time.

I had 3 hits out of 30 rounds for my second go at this. 2 in a row and just 2" apart. Yes. Rapid follow up shot after the hit. With the suggestions from the San Diego group maybe I will qualify for the record round next time.
2 at 2080.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.