Update on NM 16B archery elk hunt

Kornhil78 Just got this post from you. I did not realize there was a ton of down fall in the clayton springs area as I thought most of the burn and down fall was in the Turkey mnt area. I knew there was a lot of downfalls and also a lot of Locus in there also and places unpassable.
As far as clayton creek all the way to the jerky's it looks like a lot of timber some open some dense.
I think a lot of outfitters go thru there to wherever they go, and the clayton gets passed up unless the hikers are in there? Right wrong? Thats sure a hell of a Bull you killed in there.
Looks like we will know in a week and thinking we have a hell of a good chance in the outfitters draw but we will see. Do you recommend any places at all or where water might be. I know there is water at clear creek but quite a way to the southeast of the Jerky's.
Thanks for the return post well appreciated Mike

Attachments

• 166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 25
This is from an old burn. It's back in the willow creek area. I Havnt been back in there this year yet so I don't know places that have water yet. It will be pretty dependent on monsoon season as well.

We will be in 14 miles from the cliff dwelling a 5 hr ride in. So as far as being in where there should only be hunters that pack in. Just don't know about that end. I know clear creek has water yr round so a great option for us there which is about 3.5 miles from the base camp. So, an easy hunt to there then there is Johnson Mesa Chicken coop So a lot of good country to hunt out of from woodland if we don't locate anything there.
Do you know anyone that has been in or around those areas? would just love to chat with anyone who has been in there.

We will be in 14 miles from the cliff dwelling a 5 hr ride in. So as far as being in where there should only be hunters that pack in. Just don't know about that end. I know clear creek has water yr round so a great option for us there which is about 3.5 miles from the base camp. So, an easy hunt to there then there is Johnson Mesa Chicken coop So a lot of good country to hunt out of from woodland if we don't locate anything there.
Do you know anyone that has been in or around those areas? would just love to chat with anyone who has been in there.
Did you draw the 1st or 2nd hunt for archery?

1st hunt so the Bulls won't be very vocal unless we have a very hot spring summer. Then until the first week is over it will be pretty quiet. We should be seeing some big bulls wondering looking for cows.
The outfitters I spoke with said they seem to kill their biggest bulls the first season, so I gave the son the option and he chose the first season and got drawn. Ol Dad will work his Butt off finding a good bull for him. I want him to just have a great memorable hunt. We have been doing this many years and if he eats the tag, he's good with it but the 14 days were in we will hunt hard and smart.
Like I mentioned the only thing is going in from that end as I don't think near the animals are at that end. Might be wrong we will see. I don't like wasting time unless were into bulls.
Finding someone who has been in that area is nonexistent. Thats why I was asking about whether you have or know anyone who might have hunted it in years past. Just an idea of what's in that part of the unit is important. regardless of the weather we will have a lot of water carried in.
As mentioned, I know clear creek has water so we will pack a couple three days on our backs if we have to go looking. We are a longways in and even if guys come in from airplane mesa its 12 miles so were in the center of the unit. That part is good. water is good now animals and were good or just finding a little out about the area would be great. Thanks man appreciate u posting back well appreciated... Mike

EXACTLY! Good luck on that hunt. The Warden said there was more snow this year high than he had seen in 10 years. It started melting a couple weeks ago and should have a great green up and horn growth this fall. lots of water now.

I just got off the phone with the packer and we will be going in from the Cliff Dwelling. I really wanted to hunt the clayton mesa country and fan out from there.
He will only travel in from the Dwellings and I did get hm to commit to dropping us at prior creek and then if we dont get into decent bulls in woodland then we can head out to Clear creek and I know that system has plenty of water. There is an outfitter that hunts that part of the unit and has for 25 years so that is the big picture here these outfitters respect one another which is a good thing.
So, it's fine if we hike in but they will not set you up in another outfitter's territory. I thought that was pretty honorable anyway so I will hunt that was if it's a super dry year and we will be good and find Bulls in there. A wetter year everything should be pretty. dispersed.
Good luck to you and hope you kill a Big Bull.

Recent Posts