Un expected results.

My wife shot a big golden wildebeest with the 85gr Hammer Hunter with a creed running it just north of 3500 fps. Shot was hard quartering too at 150y. She hit it directly on the knuckle joint. Straight line penetrated the big joint, went through the onside lung and lodged in the off side lung. 20 plus inches of penetration. The animal dropped to the shot then got up and ran. African animals don't generally drop to the shot and get back up unless it is a poor hit that touches the spine. The PH was worried that we were going to have a very long tracking session. The bull made it about 70y and piled up. What this little bullet did was a tall order for large caliber lead core bullets. Most bullets would have failed on the knuckle joint. Probably one of the most impressive results I have ever seen from Hammer Bullets.

It takes about 10 sec for an animal to bleed out from a lung shot. I think someone else said 8 sec. If the animal is not stunned in the from the pressure of the impact and has the notion to run. They can cover a lot of ground in 10 sec. Fast humans can run 100y in 10 sec. Deer are a lot faster. I don't think the 85gr Hammer Hunter is too small for the job here. I think tighter into the shoulder will greatly reduce the run and produce more blood.

My daughter has taken two smaller bucks with her .243 and 70 grain HH's. Both ran about 30 yards. One was in about a foot of snow and there was not a hint of blood. I asked her if she was sure she hit it. Wrong thing to ask! I saw her mother in her when she corrected me for questioning her! 🤣 . With that much snow, it was easy to find. It was running dead, looked like it just dropped on a dead run with both front legs totally tucked under it. Looked like it dove into the snow. The other one she got this year dropped, got up and ran off. No snow. Lots of blood where it dropped but not any for 20 yards. Then noticed blood on small trees about 2'-3' off of the ground. It was piled up just past that point. Both were lung shots and massive damage internally. Liver shredded on one and nothing but jelly above diaphram. Our smaller bucks are decent size when comparing to the Southern deer I'm told. Dressed weight on one was 155 the other 125. I like the load and she shoots it well. 3600fps and no recoil. I think I'll stick with it.
Is your daughters rifle a 243 Winchester? Not an improved? That's really fast !

I admitted to start with that I was high and back. Not one of my better shots! She was part of a group of 18 does and fawns. She came out last. If she had a set of antlers I wouldn't have been surprised. Very big Bama doe. She got all mixed up with the others and I had a small window to shoot and not take out another deer . Bad things happen when you rush. I suspect her to be a grandma to a bunch of the other girls. I promise to do better in the future. 😁

Theres gotta be a typo in that coal?
Your right, I was off about10 thousands. My memory isn't want it used to be. It's a CZ 527 bolt gun. I'm 65 thousands off the lands. This is CBTO. Not COL. I measured the OAL its 2.20 something. I don't usually care about OAL unless it won't fit in a magazine.🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_203109.jpg
    IMG_20231201_203109.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20231201_204210.jpg
    IMG_20231201_204210.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Your right, I was off about10 thousands. My memory isn't want it used to be. It's a CZ 527 bolt gun. I'm 65 thousands off the lands. This is CBTO. Not COL. I measured the OAL its 2.20 something. I don't usually care about OAL unless it won't fit in a magazine.🤔
My bad, my brain had the typo i read yours as oal but you stated to the ogive...