Turkeys with .243?

Mulepadre

Went shotgun hunting this last Fall for Rio Grande turkey here in S. Texas.
At this time of the year before breeding they travel in flocks of 30 or more birds on the ranch I have access to.
At one point I had a flock come no closer than 50 yds of my blind but I did not want to risk taking a gobbler and maybe killing some of the other birds around him with overspray.
I have decided that next season I will try to take a gobbler with my .243, either with a head shot or a shot to the body as it is legal here in Texas.

What are my chances of taking a gobbler with a good body shot if I use a 90gr full copper metal jacket bullet that will not expand at all?
I would hope that it would not explode him.
What part of the body would you aim at?
Or would a head shot be most recommended?
As far as accuracy I am a benchrest shooter and can get 1-2" groups out to 200yds.

gun)

i have heard of guys using 223 and head shots but best bet is to put out a few decoys and call them in. you could try 22LR if you have one of those. the 243 would destroy the turkey if you hit them in the body i suspect.

I hit one above the Brest bone with an 87vmax.. Shot was about 50 yards.. Bullet went in and out. No meat was wasted.

22 LR would be a bit light, head shot or back would be only place to try with it. 243 with a solid might be ok, never tried. Shouldn't lose much meat but might lose your bird if there's lots of cover.

I would say your chances of recovery on a body shot with a FMJ on a turkey would be very, very slim. Birds can be downright tough to kill with a body shot from a rifle and I would certainly like an expanding bullet and shoot right where the neck meets the body to give the best target and minimize meat loss.

A buddy of mine in NZ uses .22lr, .22WMR or a .222 for shooting turkeys on his folks farm. (They are considered a pest there).

ATB,

Scrummy

We are not allowed to hunt turkey around here with a rifle, but have heard from someone that has in other states. They like to shoot them though the hips, puts them down quickly and does not ruin the breast.

Here in Pa we can hunt turkeys in the fall season with rifles. I've never seen one walk away from a .223, .22-250, 6mm (fmj), or for the past 6 years or so a .204 w/32gr. V-max. The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.

WY allows 22 centerfire. I beg to differ with you on the shot placement.

The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.

I use my varmint rifle, the last two turkeys I dropped were at over 200 yds. Both head shots. The only problem is waiting for the bird too stop bobbing long enough to squeeze your shot. They do.

WY allows 22 centerfire. I beg to differ with you on the shot placement.

The key is to shoot them behind the wing and in front of the tail. They fold up like a $2.00 suite case. I've also seen several shot with .22WRM and .17HRM. At times they fold, but often with the rim fires they can walk away from a body shot. Head shooting is of course the best way, but the turkeys around here don't seem to want to keep their heads still for long.

I use my varmint rifle, the last two turkeys I dropped were at over 200 yds. Both head shots. The only problem is waiting for the bird too stop bobbing long enough to squeeze your shot. They do.

I always thought turkey hunting with a rifle was unethical and "cheating" til i popped one at 220 yards behind the eyeball with a 22-250. I love the challenge of the shot. I love the challenge of the HUNT with a shotgun, but i appreciate the SHOT with a rifle. I never shoot for the body though. I shoot for head and neck only.

Wow I guess in Texas it's anything goes lol ya we can't shoot turkey with a rifle in California might take the fun out of it don't you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.