Toyota Tacoma

Where can you get a deal like that on a Toy ? They don't exist. lol
They definitely hold their value. I actually had a 2018 Trd off road. Less than 10k miles on it, and got hit by a drink driver. It virtually spun me around in the rain into other traffic, and it honestly felt like playing bumper cars.

Anyways, the truck was totaled. The insurance company did their thing, and I got back 49k or about $1000 over what I paid for it…because value actually went UP a little that year. Added a few more down and got a more upgraded truck.

Not too many vehicles hold good value like that. Jeeps do too, but in a dumb way. I see people are selling a Jeep TJ with its second engine rebuild and a salvage title for $20k on market place sometimes.

Last edited:
Depends on who you know. 😏
In 2015, I bought a 2008 Tacoma Xtra cab TRD Offroad with lift and tires, 56K miles, from a dealership. Paid $13,800 for it. Still running strong today.
Yep, and you should check out its value today. Last month, I had to do our estate planning, and my 2011 Tundra has an average of 62% trade-in value/70% private sales based on my purchase price with 96K miles in my local area.

Yep, and you should check out its value today. Last month, I had to do our estate planning, and my 2011 Tundra has an average of 62% trade-in value/70% private sales based on my purchase price with 96K miles in my local area.
So, I was at a local Koons Toyota dealership (high volume) and I'm looking at Tacomas and Tundras. I had really set out to get a Gen 4 Tacoma but as I said earlier, was in denial. They are just too small. So anyway, the Tacoma I was considering (2024) was about 51K MSRP and a 2023 TRD Sport was running about 47K. Then, I go over to look at the used inventory. I see a 2022 Tacoma TRD with 40K miles on it stickered at 43K! Holy SH#T!! Why buy used? Long story short, I got a Tundra TRD Limited coming next week anyway. They offered me 13K for my Tundra w/ 155K on it trade (pictured below) but I sold it for 16K. I'll bet they would have put 22.5K retail on that truck.
Tundra11.jpeg

So, I was at a local Koons Toyota dealership (high volume) and I'm looking at Tacomas and Tundras. I had really set out to get a Gen 4 Tacoma but as I said earlier, was in denial. They are just too small. So anyway, the Tacoma I was considering (2024) was about 51K MSRP and a 2023 TRD Sport was running about 47K. Then, I go over to look at the used inventory. I see a 2022 Tacoma TRD with 40K miles on it stickered at 43K! Holy SH#T!! Why buy used? Long story short, I got a Tundra TRD Limited coming next week anyway. They offered me 13K for my Tundra w/ 155K on it trade (pictured below) but I sold it for 16K. I'll bet they would have put 22.5K retail on that truck.
View attachment 476258
I would have gave you $16,000 for that truck. Definitely a clean truck. I worked for Koons in Westminster for a couple years. I also worked in Hanover Pa. Did a lot of head gasket jobs on the old 3.0 & 3.4 l. Toyota warrantied a lot of them even when they had over 100,000 miles. I was always impressed with Toyotas warranties. Even their used cars had a decent warranty.

Bought my 1st tacoma Sept '01..4 door
Just replaced ball joints and front axels...
For sale right now....20230703_184640.jpg
Been a lot of good work on the truck..drives great...located in pocatello...

Had a 2018 tacoma short box...nice truck...got it over 100mph..traded it off on 2019 tundra that had trouble getting 90mph....traded it for 2019 tacoma that got over the 100mph....traded it for 2021 that gets it at over 100mph...still have 2021...........tacomas fit in some really small driveways for work purposes...

I was a mechanic at Toyota back in the 90s. Owned a few Toys. I moved on to Chevys. Just buying a used Chevy is ridiculously cheaper. Their value is less than nothing. Mileage sucks. But I save on the upfront price. I just bought a 2012 Silverado Z7 4x4 for $20,000.00 last year. From a dealership. It was like new except a few dings here & there. It had little less than 16,000 miles on it. Where can you get a deal like that on a Toy ? They don't exist. lol
I had a 2005 Tundra, Bought it brand new, had 3 Tacomas before that each gave me over 200,000 miles each. NONE of the tacomas gave me 20 mpg. 18 if I was lucky on the Highway. But my 05 tundra with the small 8 gave me 19 mpg on the highway. Now I traded in my 05 tundra and bought a new 1794 edition tundra, the gas sucks in mileage 17. Highway but the weight that I can haul is remarkable. Pulling a 24' boat with no grunting or moaning out of it. It's a much better truck than the ones they built years ago. Yes I had Ford trucks before these. And I'll always go for a Toyota truck. I've never had an issue with any of them, just change the oil and rotate the tires and you're good to go. Oh. Yes I've been driving Toyota pickups since 1986. And it's the only vehicle I will ever buy in this family

I had a 2005 Tundra, Bought it brand new, had 3 Tacomas before that each gave me over 200,000 miles each. NONE of the tacomas gave me 20 mpg. 18 if I was lucky on the Highway. But my 05 tundra with the small 8 gave me 19 mpg on the highway. Now I traded in my 05 tundra and bought a new 1794 edition tundra, the gas sucks in mileage 17. Highway but the weight that I can haul is remarkable. Pulling a 24' boat with no grunting or moaning out of it. It's a much better truck than the ones they built years ago. Yes I had Ford trucks before these. And I'll always go for a Toyota truck. I've never had an issue with any of them, just change the oil and rotate the tires and you're good to go. Oh. Yes I've been driving Toyota pickups since 1986. And it's the only vehicle I will ever buy in this family
Toyota used to have a million mile club. Not sure if they still do. Back when the 22 R & RE was running strong. lol

Its unfortunately a double edged sword, as gas prices go up and technology improves engines get smaller
Love the Toyotas. They're about the most dependable vehicle on the road.
But I'm wondering why we can't put bigger oversized engines in these smaller trucks

At this moment, I'm on a flat highway traveling at 65 mph getting 28 mpg.
My truck weighs 9500 lbs, is 4x4, and is bone stock, and has a ton of wind drag.
Put this engine tranny combo in a 4000 lb Toyota and I'd wager that itud get 40mpg.
Other than size constraints, theres no reason why this wouldn't work.

But I'm wondering why we can't put bigger oversized engines in these smaller trucks

My truck weighs 9500 lbs, is 4x4, and is bone stock, and has a ton of wind drag.
Put this engine tranny combo in a 4000 lb Toyota and I'd wager that itud get 40mpg.
I get half that mileage in my Chevy running 80. I tried the 65 it did not improve the mileage by much. It went from 14 to 15. lol And I thought Toyota would rule the truck world when they made the T100. But of course they fell short with their choice of a drive train.

Your guess is as good as mine. If my F150's engine/transmission had been in my Tacoma it would have been a rocket ship. I think companies like to keep vehicles in specific categories to protect sales. Mid sized trucks like the Ranger and Colorado both got dropped from the US market probably to promote the sales of their full sized counter parts. Only to then get resurrected when the market shifted.

Also weight and frame strength. Bigger engine, bigger fuel tank, more torque/power etc. Not sure if a Tacoma is up for the task or has the space as you mentioned. Then if someone tries to tow with it because it has the power it may lack the overall construction of a full sized truck. Just supposition on my part.

Recent Posts