Too much horsepower for coyote?

I respectfully disagree! Light bullets don't always work. Sometimes they do. Often with a poor shot they leave a massive hole. I have done a bunch of sewing!! I would shoot a heavy for caliber bullet no matter what the caliber. I have killed several coyotes with a 6x45 and I think it does well. 223 works great until you shoot a 40 gr. 3500 fps. muzzle velocity. I really would like you to read some of the fella's posts that kill a lot of coyotes. I have spent my entire life trying to perfect the process. I will say without fail you are better off with a heavy for caliber bullet. Penetrates better, expands less. I am sure I will get growled at for this. I am prepared. 100 grain 6mm bullets will kill a coyote with a running away shot. 58 vmax won't always work. Give it some thought before you flame me. I shoot a .17 with a heavy for caliber unless I am in bear country then I shoot what I brung. Usually a 6.5mm

I respectfully disagree! Light bullets don't always work. Sometimes they do. Often with a poor shot they leave a massive hole. I have done a bunch of sewing!! I would shoot a heavy for caliber bullet no matter what the caliber. I have killed several coyotes with a 6x45 and I think it does well. 223 works great until you shoot a 40 gr. 3500 fps. muzzle velocity. I really would like you to read some of the fella's posts that kill a lot of coyotes. I have spent my entire life trying to perfect the process. I will say without fail you are better off with a heavy for caliber bullet. Penetrates better, expands less. I am sure I will get growled at for this. I am prepared. 100 grain 6mm bullets will kill a coyote with a running away shot. 58 vmax won't always work. Give it some thought before you flame me. I shoot a .17 with a heavy for caliber unless I am in bear country then I shoot what I brung. Usually a 6.5mm

I dont have to,,, i know from experience,,,, side shots and many yote kills and believe me the last thing i want to do is set there and sew up pelts !!!

Some are FULL of poop here,,,, match HPs will NOT blow up and not exit on side shots !!!!!

The other way to stop a big hole is to use a match or fmJ moving slow but then you will do 2 things loose a lot of yotes and give those poor little ***** a Slow lingering death.

And to me if you want to do it that way, you need to be shot the same way !

"side shots" can mean a lot of things when talking about bullet performance. How far back and how low you hit one means all the difference in the world with passing through and terminal performance both. From what I've seen the coyotes that spin and run and the coyotes that have two holes rather than one were hit too far back or too low. The ones hit super tight behind the shoulder and mid way up drop in their tracks and stop bullets better. If you look at the shape of a coyote's rib cage it gets smaller as you go back. Aiming too far back explains why our bullets sometimes go over or under the coyote without ever hitting it at all.

Uhhh, shoot one or two and answer your own question. IMO, if putting up fur is the goal, most centerfire guns are a novices tool. If you just want to shoot coyotes, then shoot 'em. If somehow a person needs to justify shooting coyotes by trying to sew two pieces of hide together so he can feel better about himself, maybe he should join a support group or something.

Uhhh, shoot one or two and answer your own question. IMO, if putting up fur is the goal, most centerfire guns are a novices tool. If you just want to shoot coyotes, then shoot 'em. If somehow a person needs to justify shooting coyotes by trying to sew two pieces of hide together so he can feel better about himself, maybe he should join a support group or something.
*** you talking about ?????

"side shots" can mean a lot of things when talking about bullet performance. How far back and how low you hit one means all the difference in the world with passing through and terminal performance both. From what I've seen the coyotes that spin and run and the coyotes that have two holes rather than one were hit too far back or too low. The ones hit super tight behind the shoulder and mid way up drop in their tracks and stop bullets better. If you look at the shape of a coyote's rib cage it gets smaller as you go back. Aiming too far back explains why our bullets sometimes go over or under the coyote without ever hitting it at all.
Any one that has skinned a coyote with a prime winter pelt knows, it 1/3 yote and 2/3 fur.....

*** you talking about ?????

You put up enough fur, you realize sewing and getting blood out are not desirable activities. Most 22 cal rifles will have you doing extra work in this area and bigger/faster usually means more work and less return. When people ask, is this to much or is that to much, if you have to ask, the answer is probably "yes". By all means though, try it and decide for yourself.

You put up enough fur, you realize sewing and getting blood out are not desirable activities. Most 22 cal rifles will have you doing extra work in this area and bigger/faster usually means more work and less return. When people ask, is this to much or is that to much, if you have to ask, the answer is probably "yes". By all means though, try it and decide for yourself.
Not sure where your headed but a 22 cal, light ballistic tipped 30-40 grain pumped up fast and hitting fast will not exit period .

My avg shot on yotes falls between 50-100 yards and i have had them running in so hard they blurred out in a seven power scope. At that point i pulled the trigger, brought my rifle up in front of me and laid back thinking he would land right on top of me. He slid to dirt dead stop about 25 feet out....

Not sure where your headed but a 22 cal, light ballistic tipped 30-40 grain pumped up fast and hitting fast will not exit period .

My avg shot on yotes falls between 50-100 yards and i have had them running in so hard they blurred out in a seven power scope. At that point i pulled the trigger, brought my rifle up in front of me and laid back thinking he would land right on top of me. He slid to dirt dead stop about 25 feet out....

Hey, if you got the silver bullet, I'm listening. I'd say that 50 to 100 yards are pretty common scenarios in the field. If you like what your using, have at. I'd give what you got going a try. If your drawing 'em in at 50, a 10 ga. with a tight choke will stack 'em too, with a higher kill percentage. Really, set up tight and give it some months before you dismiss it. Usually they start with a 12 ga. full choke. That might be all you ever need. No fuzz in the scope cause no scope. Don't knock it till you've tried it but don't blame near misses on your equipment when you don't set up right.

What I take umbridge to is the ongoing and endless discussion of weather a deer rifle is a good coyote fur-gun. It might be a good coyote gun but it's not a good fur gun. Load it up. Load it down. A Ford LTD isn't an economy car any way you look at it. I've shot coyotes with a 270 because I wanted them to be gone but I never shot them with a 270 because I was putting up their fur.

Seriously... carpenters don't use a framing hammer on finish work. It's a pretty old expression but in many cases, less is more. Because somebody "wrote" that they killed a coyote at 800 yards, well, fine and dandy but a fell'a should go out and do it a couple hundred times and see if what he's seeing is a coyote at 800 or a coyote a 80.

Anyway, I don't care if a dude uses a 300 magnum but when he asks if his deer/elk gun is a bit much for fur... well hell... that guy needs to trap a coyote and see what it takes to kill it if he can't use common sense or at the very least, do some leg work of his own.

Hey, if you got the silver bullet, I'm listening. I'd say that 50 to 100 yards are pretty common scenarios in the field. If you like what your using, have at. I'd give what you got going a try. If your drawing 'em in at 50, a 10 ga. with a tight choke will stack 'em too, with a higher kill percentage. Really, set up tight and give it some months before you dismiss it. Usually they start with a 12 ga. full choke. That might be all you ever need. No fuzz in the scope cause no scope. Don't knock it till you've tried it but don't blame near misses on your equipment when you don't set up right.

What I take umbridge to is the ongoing and endless discussion of weather a deer rifle is a good coyote fur-gun. It might be a good coyote gun but it's not a good fur gun. Load it up. Load it down. A Ford LTD isn't an economy car any way you look at it. I've shot coyotes with a 270 because I wanted them to be gone but I never shot them with a 270 because I was putting up their fur.

Seriously... carpenters don't use a framing hammer on finish work. It's a pretty old expression but in many cases, less is more. Because somebody "wrote" that they killed a coyote at 800 yards, well, fine and dandy but a fell'a should go out and do it a couple hundred times and see if what he's seeing is a coyote at 800 or a coyote a 80.

Anyway, I don't care if a dude uses a 300 magnum but when he asks if his deer/elk gun is a bit much for fur... well hell... that guy needs to trap a coyote and see what it takes to kill it if he can't use common sense or at the very least, do some leg work of his own.

We either take high ground or set up down in a bowl in our area i prefer high hidden on a hillside and the blur out was a one time thing , young dumb pup that wouldnt stop running in no matter what i did short of standing up ,waving my arms or shooting my AR into the air ! No shotgun isn't for me i dont even own one other than a single shot 20 guage ! Any one that knows better, wont use anything bigger than a FAST 22 cal for fur saving,,,, dont even know why you would want to save fur it isn't worth a plug nickle !

I used to use a 223 with 53gr vmax. Never had one drop right there. Also used 40gr vmax, 50gr ballistic tips.

Built a 6x45 shooting 85gr at darn near 3000fps. Only got one so far this year but it didn't move a muscle after being hit.

For .22 calibers like the .22-250 try the Sierra 52 grain matchkings. They are what I used to use when I wanted pelt damage to be minumized. Note however that I was calling them in and did not need the fastest load either. Most shots were well under 150 yards, a result of calling them out of heavily vegetated river bottoms onto open areas where I had set up. Certainly if you load these up to a hot load there will be lot of pelt damage, so adjust your load to your real needs. Hopefully you use a scope that is easy to dial in and reliable, so if a long shot is needed just goto your hot load and dial in the correction and the up and shoot it. Then remember to adjust it back to your zero, which for me was 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts