• Velocity Reticle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • More than one method

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters

Subnormal

What method(s) do you use in the field to compute ballistics solutions?

1. Computer-if so how much time does it usually take you to compute the solution?
2. Firing Table or drop chart
3. BDC
4. Velocity Reticle
5. Other
6. Two or more methods

I use both the computer and firing table.

Thanks for the reply.

First option is my G7 BR2. Second I have my ballistic program on my phone so that I can ender data from my Kestrel 3500. Lastly I have a drop table taped to my stock as a back up.

Chris

I've gotten to the point I use a Ballistic Turret out to 800 yards or so then I start using Applied Ballistics on my phone, the turret is so fast an accurate it's scared me a couple times when I realized how fast you can put something on the ground, better know what you want to kill before going into auto pilot death mode.
Punching in the data for the longer shots doesn't take me but a few seconds, most of the time is spent studying the wind and terrain.

I've gotten to the point I use a Ballistic Turret out to 800 yards or so then I start using Applied Ballistics on my phone, the turret is so fast an accurate it's scared me a couple times when I realized how fast you can put something on the ground, better know what you want to kill before going into auto pilot death mode.
Punching in the data for the longer shots doesn't take me but a few seconds, most of the time is spent studying the wind and terrain.

Yep - same here.

One more

And another. Where I hunt most shots have to be pretty quick out to 700 or 800.

Mike

What method(s) do you use in the field to compute ballistics solutions?

1. Computer-if so how much time does it usually take you to compute the solution?
2. Firing Table or drop chart
3. BDC
4. Velocity Reticle
5. Other
6. Two or more methods

I use both the computer and firing table.

Thanks for the reply.
Most of my shooting is done on coyotes, bobcats, hogs etc and in a hurry since we spot them as we're driving along at work and then have to shoot them on the run.

I use graduated reticles (IOR MP8, Vortex Viper PST MOA, Leupold Mil dot or TMR's ) to gauge lead, wind, speed, and to some extent range but usually the range is just a guess unless they happen to be near power lines or in a field I know the dimensions of.

When I do get to "hunt" from a blind, hide, or stalked into position I use drop charts that I have made with 50yd increments as well as rough wind markers more often than not.

Old farts like me can get away with the above pretty well just because of all the years and thousands of rounds of shooting we have behind us.

If I were starting out just as I encourage everyone I help get introduced to shooting if I had the money I'd invest in the best wind meters, ballistic calculators, and other equipment I could afford.

Modern shooting tech won't make a great shooter out of a novice, but it can certainly save you thousands and thousands of rounds vs learning it all the hard way.

I'm hijacking my own post. If you use a BDC or similar type method for shots in the 600 to 800 yard range and a computer for more accurate solutions past this range would you classify the "when I need a computer" range as "now shooting long range" as one of your long range definitions? I certainly would.

I'm hijacking my own post. If you use a BDC or similar type method for shots in the 600 to 800 yard range and a computer for more accurate solutions past this range would you classify the "when I need a computer" range as "now shooting long range" as one of your long range definitions? I certainly would.
Anything past 600=LR. Anything past 1,000-1,200 and you're into very long range. Anything past that and your are most certainly into extremely long range and difficult shooting.

Not only do your human and calculation errors really add up quickly past 600, they go up by multiples from there to 1,200 and geometrically from there.

When bullets approach transonic speeds and then pass to subsonic the variables you can't account for really start to mount up.

If a guy has the budget, gear, and time there's no reason not to take advantage of the best gear you have when you get into the LR and beyond ranges.

Take advantage of every advantage you can because when you get that far out the odds of success really go down.

WildRose hit the nail on the head. When you get past about 600-700 lots of things can change the elevation needed to get a good clean shot. So the more precise everything is the better.

Mike

My approach, using a G7BR2 rangefinder. This eliminated multiple turrets/corrections for density, temperature, and angle adjustments. This extended my effective range to 1000+ yards without having to switch to my computer and other devices. Last year I used the same turret at three different locations of 350, 2400, and 5000 foot elevations with temperatures ranging from 20-75 degrees. Worked like a charm!

My approach, using a G7BR2 rangefinder. This eliminated multiple turrets/corrections for density, temperature, and angle adjustments. This extended my effective range to 1000+ yards without having to switch to my computer and other devices. Last year I used the same turret at three different locations of 350, 2400, and 5000 foot elevations with temperatures ranging from 20-75 degrees. Worked like a charm!

I've never had the opportunity to see a G7BR2 in action except on TV. Someday I hope to run into someone who has one. Doesn't the program in the rangefinder compute for air density and shooting angle and apply the correction to the turret or ballistics solution you have selected? If this is the case couldn't you set the program to use MOA or MIL corrections and achieve the same results therefore eliminating a ballistics turret with a set solution? I would assume unlike a set ballistics turret using a series of conditions to establish an air density equivalent with shoot to ranges you would need a few turrets to swap out for severe enough air density change? The G7BR2 seems handy but I just haven't convinced myself to look into one yet. I figured as long as I am using a computer for wind I may as well input the COS, range, and air density.

The G7 , only computes in MOA, which is fine with me.:) So it and an MOA turret is a good set up. The two short comings of the G7 I found were the large beam divergence picking up reflective obstacles instead of the intended target, and the way it gives you a wind correction. I feel that for a long shot with any wind you need to spend a little bit of time to get an accurate wind correction out of it. This requires paging through wind speeds, and maybe splitting values to be accurate. This makes the use of this unit, not much if any faster at all than I can be with my program and a more precise rangefinder if there is wind involved, and there seems to always be some. For my method, Rv and ballistic program, I simply enter the wind and direction. My ballistic program also automatically includes spin drift in the solution so I don't have to remember to add or subtract that. The large beam issue and inaccurate reading can be dealt with in many situations if you know about it and practice to diminish the odds of this. Both of these issues , out to 1000 yards can be lessened if the user will actually go practice with the G7 unit and learn to guard against it. Past 1000 I found it's accuracy to fall off and my ballistic program to be much more accurate. This also was found to be true by others that tested the G7-BR2 for a review on here. I have even seen the guys at G7 have the issue with a possible mis-range when they had to dial up for the second shot on game past 1000. Don't take this wrong. It is a very handy piece of gear for many hunters / shooters to 1000 yards and that will cover more than not. But like any precision gear it will server you better if you get to know it and it's personal short comings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts