Timmney trigger help please!

Crowe284

I have a timmney (510) I believe in a GAP built 6.5 4S.

The trigger was set at 2.5 lbs...and it feels like that and breaks very crisp and clean...when dry firing.

When I load a live round and shoot the pull weight is very noticibly heavier. Still crisp and breaks like glass rod but feels 3.5 to 4 **** pounds. This is not all in my mind while I'm anticipating the gun going off. I have used a spent case with primer still in and the results are the same with no loud bang or any recoil to deceive me. I'm not recoil sensitive at all. Take the shell out close bolt, light and clean. Driving me nuts and making a 1/4 minute gun a .6 minute gun :)

What could this be attributed to???

I have a timmney (510) I believe in a GAP built 6.5 4S.

The trigger was set at 2.5 lbs...and it feels like that and breaks very crisp and clean...when dry firing.

When I load a live round and shoot the pull weight is very noticibly heavier. Still crisp and breaks like glass rod but feels 3.5 to 4 **** pounds. This is not all in my mind while I'm anticipating the gun going off. I have used a spent case with primer still in and the results are the same with no loud bang or any recoil to deceive me. I'm not recoil sensitive at all. Take the shell out close bolt, light and clean. Driving me nuts and making a 1/4 minute gun a .6 minute gun :)

What could this be attributed to???

The only thing I can think of without checking the rifle is, if the bolt lugs are not squared or the bolt face with the bore and the back of the bolt misaligns when placed in battery it will change the cocking piece
alignment and this can cause a change in the trigger pull.

Check to see how much slack you have in the bolt (Measure the bolt and the bolt bore) If it is over two or three thousandths it will allow the bolt to shift and could change the function of the trigger.

Just a guess

J E CUSTOM

The only thing I can think of without checking the rifle is, if the bolt lugs are not squared or the bolt face with the bore and the back of the bolt misaligns when placed in battery it will change the cocking piece
alignment and this can cause a change in the trigger pull.

Check to see how much slack you have in the bolt (Measure the bolt and the bolt bore) If it is over two or three thousandths it will allow the bolt to shift and could change the function of the trigger.

Just a guess

J E CUSTOM

Okay, will check on that but here is another weird thing. I find that when dry firing if I close bolt soft soft and gently, the pull weight is greater than if I cycle bolt fast and slam it down. I can predict by the way the bolt "feels" as it goes all the way down (when I slam it pretty good) that the trigger pull is going to be lighter. In other words, gentle bolt lift and drop while dry firing heavier pull, harder close on the bolt while dry firing, lighter pull. Almost as if the slamming is getting something to "release"?? better?????

And are you shooting reloads or factory ammo. It is concerning that how you close the bolt changes your perception on feel and does indicate something is going on here. My first guess and what JE already mentioned is take a look where the cocking piece fits into the receiver and see if anything is impeding it, I have seen where a trigger plate is malformed from someone pounding the pin in at a slight angle and that metal will get in the way of the cocking piece.

And are you shooting reloads or factory ammo. It is concerning that how you close the bolt changes your perception on feel and does indicate something is going on here. My first guess and what JE already mentioned is take a look where the cocking piece fits into the receiver and see if anything is impeding it, I have seen where a trigger plate is malformed from someone pounding the pin in at a slight angle and that metal will get in the way of the cocking piece.
Shooting reloads, that's all I have ever shot out of it. I don't like the trigger to begin with, it's heavier than all my others even when it acts right and won't adjust any lower. I'm thinking of putting a triggertech in. I have them in other rifles and they are outstanding. I'll check out what you mentioned though. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.