Tikka T3X Lite 7mm mag good enough for shots up to 1000 yds?

MerrillD14

I'm getting a t3x lite in 7mm mag, and was wondering if it is capable of taking multiple shots (no breaks) and was curious to as if the barrel would get hot, since it's a thinner barrel? Also, would you recommend to get a muzzle brake, since it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds?

Well there's no way to really know with out trying it. I have a 7RM Sako AV with a custom light barrel and it gets hotter than heck with just 3 shots, with 4 or more consecutive you cant touch barrel. But its floated and it does surprisingly well out to 500yds on holding its group when cold to hot. I've never shot it passed 500yds. I would get a very heavy duty butt pad instead of a brake. Brakes ARE just LOUD and obnoxious.

Brakes also help with recoil. If you're planning on LR hunting, a brake will help get back on target so you can call your own shot corrections (if they're needed?).

I shoot a Sako A7 in 7mmRM and it's light enough that recoil management is difficult. I need to put a better brake on it. That said, it is definitely able to ring steel at 1000 yards. And the barrel does heat up pretty noticably after 3-4 shots.

Do you plan on hand loading for it?

I have a brux #5 barrel and its about twice as thick as a factory Remington 700 barrel and I can get about 6-7 shots before it hot.

I have a 300WM T3 life that has no problem firing 5 accurate shots. Seems to cool quicker than my #3 barrels. Accuracy to 1000 yards easily achieved but recommend a good brake

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.