The Best Overall 1000 yard Long Range Varmint Cartridge

I guess if your not going to match prep brass, than I guess brass may not be that big of a deal. However, excellent brass such as Lapua and Norma help you attain better accuracy and if you prep it, it even improves your chances of better groups at longer ranges. Every bit helps when shooting out to 1000 yards.

Wildcat

WC...

You didn't say what kind of varmints you want at 1,000 yd. It do make a difference.

For 1,000 yd PD's, I would pick a very heavy (and accurate) .204 or .223 and set up on the edge of town with the wind at my back (6 o'clock). My .222 Mag ran circles around my 6mm in body count at long range in South Dakota because I could see my misses and correct for them... not posible in larger cartridges.

Of the 6mm's you listed, the 6mm Rem or the 6mm AI are probably the best. The AI will give you another 100 fps, but may not be worth the fireforming, if you want a lotta brass.
I'm building a 6mm Rem, and haven't decided if I want to go with the AI, because I have 600 pcs of brass, and that's a lot of COW to be shooting over the countryside.

I have a 6mmBR, and it's no 1,000 yd varmint rifle!!

The 6mm-284 is the fastest of the bunch (faster than the 6mmAI), but it really eats barrels in exchange for only another 100-150 fps.

Last year, I got a 1,000 yd rig for feral dogs and coyotes at ~1,000 ys. It's in .264 Winchester Mag. Very accurate, but it will not be shot over a PD town :(.

Though the 6.5mm (.264) bore is not on your list, there are a lot of very effective cartridges in that size that would do well at 1,000, and barrel life will be better than the hot 6mm's.

For US made brass, most long range shooters are using Winchester, then Remington, and Fed last. Fed used to be good, but they have slipped over the last 10 years.
The last bunch of Fed "Gold Match" (???) brass I bought, varied in weight from 155 gr to 176 gr, and velocity spread (ES) from the weight variation was 125 fps :(

Last edited:
Catshooter,

I will be shooting at squirrels and PDogs. I guess I should have clarified that in the post. That information might have made the topic a little better. Maybe more will get involved in the discussion.

Also, if you build a heavy 6mm with a muzzle brake, you can see where shots miss or hit much better than any .22 cal. My new 6mm project will weigh 32 pounds, and it will have a brake too.

The subject of burning barrels is usually a topic when discussing varmint shooting. However, at long ranges there are not as many shots taken. Also, must varmint hunters bring at least two and sometime three rifles during there hunts to allow their other rigs to cool. That's why I chose the 6x284 as the best overall long range varmint cartridge.

Now, if you only have one rifle to shot all day for varminting and there will be shots from 100 to 1000 yards, then I would say the 243 or 6BR would be the best.

Also, the velocity of the 6x284 is 200fps faster than the 6mm Ackley Improved and 400fps faster than the 6mm Remington. That's a big advantage at long range. The 6mm Ackley is an awesome cartridge too. I would have made it my # 2 pick, however, you have to do so much prep to the brass in order to shoot it.

I know there are other excellent 6mm cartridges out there, but when it comes to velocity, accuracy and retained energy, the 6x284 is the best IMO.

Regarding my current 6mm project, I am leaning towards the 6x284. However, I am still trying to gather info on the 6BR. I just really love the 6x284, because I ve seen it perform out to 1000 yards with excellent results. When using the 6x284, and pushing the 87grn V-Max at 3730fps, it's amazing to watch what it does to ground squirrels past 600 yards. Even at that range it destroys the little vermin.

Wildcat

mine is a 1-8 twist 26" hart. I know of several people shooting the 90vld or the smk with a 1-8 twist. I posted pictures of 3 shots at 1000yards with 90gr vld in post earler today titled 1000yrd shooting

Whats the best out of the box option?

I was wondering on what your opinions would be on the best out of the box long range set up rifle wise?

Hello All, I thought I would get a discussion going regarding this topic. It came to me after a couple of my shooting buddies begain discussing this topic. I thought it would be a good topic to discuss on this site.

There are many great varmint cartridges such as the;
1. 204
2. 223
3. 22-250
4. 220 Swift

However, for this discussion were focusing on long range varminting out to 1000 yards. This type of shooting is not fast, so barrel life will not be a factor. The following needs to be taken into account when considering this cartridge; Velocity, Accuracy, Recoil, Retained energy, Bullet and Brass selection. The cartridges mentioned above are excellent varmint cartriges and they can be used for long range varminting with the right bullet, but they are not the norm for this type of shooting. For this discussion, we will use the following 6mm cartridges because they are all suitable for 1000 yard varmint work. The question is which one is the best;

1. 6x284
2. 6mm BR
3. 6mm Remington
4. 243 Ackley Improved
5. 6mm Ackley Improved
6. 243 Winchester

Yes, there are other great calibers. However, the 6mm cartridges IMO are king in this department for ranges out to 1000 yards. I know there are larger calibers aswell, however, they produce more recoil and are more expensive to shoot. Also, the larger calibers are better suited for shooting past 1000 yards. So, lets discuss the best 1000 yard varmint cartridge.

IMO, this is how they stack up;

1. The 6x284 is number 1 because of the combined qualities; Velocity, Accuracy, Retained energy down range, Low recoil and brass selection. The 6x284 can shoot a 107grn bullet, from a 30" pipe, at around 3500fps. There is no other 6mm cartridge that can produce the velocity and accuracy that the 6x284 can and that's why I believe it's the ultimate 1000 yard varmint cartridge.

2. In second, the 243 Ackley Improved. It's much slower than the 6x284, however, It comes close to the 6mm Ackley Improved in velocity. The reason I pick it over the 6mm Ackley Improved, the 243 Ackley Improved has better brass selection.

3. In third, the 6mm Ackley Improved. It comes close to the 6x284 in velocity. However, the brass selection is not good. Yes, you can make good brass out of other cartridges, but that's alot more work for a cartridge that already requires much work.

4. In forth, the 243 Winchester. It's much slower than the above mentioned cartridges. However, it still shoots the 107grn bullets faster than the 6BR and you can use excellent brass for the 243 Winchester.

5. In fifth, the 6mm Remington. I know it's a bit faster than the 243 Winchester, however, brass selection is poor.

6. In last, the 6BR, only because of the velocity factor. The 6BR is the most accurate out of all the listed cartridges. However, we need velocity and accuracy in order to retain enough energy to put a varmint down at 1000 yards. The 6BR is an awesome cartriges and if we were discussing shots out to just 600 yards, than the 6BR would be my #1.

The 25-06 is a good caliber for long range varminting too. However, bullet selection is not very good. The 6mm caliber and cartridges are the best for 1000 yard long range varminting.

I hope this discussion takes off. I would like to see what others think and see how they list their top 1000 yard long range varmint cartridge.

Wildcat

Just reread a couple chapters in Boyd Mace's book on varmit hunting last night. He was a little different, but still similar. He flat says the best 6mm round for very long distance was the 6mm Ackley hands down. The 6/284 was also right up there, but he felt it wasn't as good as the Ackley. Interestingly he developed a wildcat off the 6/284 that never got the velocity he was after, but grouped very well making it a top contender as well.I think that when you talking 1000 yards, you need to move upto the 6.5 catagory. In it you'll find lots of good rounds that will get the job done in fine form. The 6.5/284 and the 6.5-06 tend to lead the pack here. I think the .300WSM necked down to either 6.5 or 7mm would be even better, but not a round you'd also want to set over a dog town with
gary

I am looking for already formed 243 Ackley Improved brass. Can anyone give me an address or tele number to try. Thanks Al

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.