The 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag.

Just some 20 minutes ago I was talking to Mr. Messner personally on the phone. :) I know him for almost 1 year now, and I'm always impressed about his enormous knowledge due to ballistics and shooting, and how easy it is having to do with him. Parallel to a very strong hunting passion he was competing as benchrester before, so he knows precisely what it takes. When I asked him after the availability of brass for his 6,5x63 M Mag he told me that Horneber in Germany would love to ship head - stamped brass to the USA. A dealer or FFL as you call it must be necessary to get the import done, right?
Monsieur Messner is going to send me CIP - drawings of his cartridges in English, and I will post them on here. Both the 6,5x63 MM and his new strong baby, the 8,5 (.338) Messner Mag.
BTW, while testing the 6,5 MM in France the authorized tester was grouping 3 shots at 1100m/1202yards in a circle with diameter of 6 cm/2,36' ... !! He used 142gr. SMK with an MV of 965m/s or 3166fps. I try to get the target - photo posted too.

Edit: Dies are available from Triebel, RCBS and others like Hornady Custom will produce them when requested.

Last edited:
As promised the technical CIP - drawings of Messner's 8,5 MM and 6,5x63 MM. The pictures are labeled in English, but the measurement is metric. :D
So, it's just about converting. Maybe someone would like to have a reamer done in one of those ...

Attachments

• img-319122137-0001.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 153
Over here in Norway we were more into the European style of ammo , but it was never widely spread of using magnum cartridges. After the WW2, when we got into the NATO and lot of surplus rounds and other . Then the 30 calibers came into use for the most . It was the new generations of Kvale and others that helped put affordable magnums on the side for many . One of the nices 6.5 mm magnums i have seen is a German built Mauser Hartmann &Weiss in 6.5 Rem Mag. Some of them that always had a good hold here were 8x68S, .340 Wby, 300 Win, Wby , 375 H&H .

But getting away from the People`cartridge the 6.5x55 :) , it took a longer way for other rounds to be found and used .

One thing was it was few good gun writers here that thoroughly wrote good about what they used to a extent so people could fine great stuff at a good price .

As promised a little description and target photo where a civilian from Strasbourg, a medical, was shooting at a military range in France and grouped 3 shots at 1100 m/1203 yards within a circle of just 60 mm or 2.36'. Wind was blowing with 3 km/h or 9,842 fps.
The doctor was using a Border action, 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag. with 28' Lothar Walther barrel. 142gr SMK, COAL 85mm/3,35' over 73,3gr N 570, 964 m/s or 3164 fps.
French military snipers who were training at the same time with their .338LM didn't group better then 250mm or 9,84' ... !:D

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    329.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.