Tents.....1 person or 2?

Eureka 2 man Draw-Tite model. Sleeps 1 with all gear inside. I like mine so well I even bought the 4 man model to use with 2 people sleeping on cots

1 night out I'll take a one-person tent. More than 2 nights spiked out I'll prefer a 2-person tent.

2 nights out is a toss-up.

A large part of my decision would include consideration of the climate, elevation, and likely weather conditions when and where I'm hunting. I try to avoid choices that could turn what's supposed to be an enjoyable hunting trip into a survival challenge.

WEIGHT!

I take my Tarptent Moment DWo solo tent for weight reasons. I'm a backpacker and have an ingrained loathing of extra weight. So I'd prefer to be a bit cramped in a solo tent than carry an extra 1 1/2 pounds of weight that my 2 person tent has.

OTOH, when sea kayaking I do carry my 2 person tent B/C the extra weight and size are no problem. Once i had to sit out a one day storm on an island in Canada's Georgian Bay and it was a nice to have a 3 person dome tent with a tarp over the front door so I could cook under the tarp and stretch out in the tent.

Eric B.

Hey guys this is a good thread and im really glad im reading this now because im in the market to purchace a new tent. my plans are late oct/early November Wyoming and Colorado hunts. from what ive experienced in the past the weather can sometimes be unpredictable. ive never tented though. am I right by looking at a 4 season tent, or would I be ok with a 3 season. I definitely like the idea of a 2 person tent for just me and my gear im just not sure how to attack how much tent I really need. thanks for any and all help

Hey guys this is a good thread and im really glad im reading this now because im in the market to purchace a new tent. my plans are late oct/early November Wyoming and Colorado hunts. from what ive experienced in the past the weather can sometimes be unpredictable.

I would definately go 4 season if you'll be at any kind of an altitude. That late in the year, there is a very good chance you'll get snowed on.

Good luck!

Ron

do you think it is worth getting a tent with a stove jack and maybe a packable wood stove. i keep thinking the weight way catch up with me at some point. i just never ventured out in a tent this time of year before and really don't know where to go? im also not sure how far im gona have to hike with this weight. how do most of you guys handle cold nights on the mnt

I wouldn't pack a stove, but instead find the best cold weather bag you can.
You could end up with brutal cold, but it's more likely that'll you'll encounter snow.
Like Litehiker has pointed out, some tents have vestibules to get gear in out of the weather and in a pinch you can cook in them.
That's going to be crucial is having the ability to get out of the weather and get you and your equipment dried out.
I've used a 4 season Cabelas model, and it worked ok. It's probably heavier than some of the higher end tents and it doesn't vent as well as I'd like but it has done the job.

that's funny i was considering the Alaskan guide tent from cabelas too. but after reading what some of you guys are saying and further researching i am leaning twards something aliitle more specific to backpacking for weight reasons

Yeah, the Alaskan Guide tents look to be fairly good, but extremely heavy.

Mine is an old backpacking 4 season model, not a Guide, that they apparently don't make anymore.

Hopefully, Litehiker will chime in. It sounds like he has done a ton of backpack camping and I'm sure he'd be a better source for specific brands and models of tents.

Good luck in your search!

I prefer 2 man tent so I can have my pack for easy access and protected from the elements. I also always have a small tarp where I can cover items that I won't use/need in the tent but will need direct access to when outside the tent (food/cooking gear/ax/saw/etc) The less I have to go in/out of my tent, the better.

For backpack hunting CO and elsewhere, I use an older floorless, 2-man Integral Designs Sil-Dome tarp tent. It provides room for my pack, rifle, and other gear with room for cooking with the front flap open. When me and my hunting buddy team up, we use my Seek Outside 6-man tipi with large Ti stove. In short, go a little bigger for comfort. In my opinion, it is worth the slight extra weight, especially on longer hunts.

For backpack hunting CO and elsewhere..., In short, go a little bigger for comfort. In my opinion, it is worth the slight extra weight, especially on longer hunts.

The additional weight of the more spacious tent is pretty insignificant compared to the additional weight of the game animal packing back out, should you be successful.

No stove jack if your packing it on your back. A good cold weather bag is a must, plus a pad. We lit up a JET BOIL to boil water for Mountain House food and coffee. It also provided a little heat when needed. With snow and wind outside, heat inside you'll get moisture inside with you, so use sparingly. I like the idea of a vestibule to cook and store gear in.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.