SxS or triple rifled slug gun? Searching

HarryN

Hi, I am looking for either a double or triple barrel rifled slug gun.

- 20 or 12 gauge
- Not really that interested in a rifled choke approach, really want rifled barrels

The reason for this strange request is that boar hunting in some areas of CA can only be done with slugs, lead free, and no side arm.

Nearly all of the no lead slug options out there are sabots, so I prefer a rifled setup.

Since they don't allow carrying a side arm, I prefer a double or triple barrel setup vs pump or auto.

Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Harry

Hi, I am looking for either a double or triple barrel rifled slug gun.

- 20 or 12 gauge
- Not really that interested in a rifled choke approach, really want rifled barrels

The reason for this strange request is that boar hunting in some areas of CA can only be done with slugs, lead free, and no side arm.

Nearly all of the no lead slug options out there are sabots, so I prefer a rifled setup.

Since they don't allow carrying a side arm, I prefer a double or triple barrel setup vs pump or auto.

Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Harry

I would get a bolt gun or semi-auto. I used a Savage 220 and now have a 210. I consistently hit a 10" steel at 200-yards with Federal Premium copper sabots. I took a huge boar with the 220, absolute stopper.

I built a slug gun for my cousin off an old Berreta A100 that I won in a raffle. It is also 12 ga and can hit the 10" diameter steel at 200-yards if I do my part.

The follow-up with the the second shot is pretty fast with both the semi and bolt. The big issue is re-acquiring the target due to recoil with the 3" mags.

I wish there was a sabot with slug diameter <1/2 bore diameter. There is a huge area with good deer that adds that language here in Kali to define a shotgun.

The Savages are what they are, stocks are cheap, etc. for what they are, they do shoot.

I wish there was a sabot with slug diameter <1/2 bore diameter. There is a huge area with good deer that adds that language here in Kali to define a shotgun.

The Savages are what they are, stocks are cheap, etc. for what they are, they do shoot.

Thanks, I looked at the bolt and auto shotguns - nothing wrong with them at all, it is more about me I am afraid. I have personally messed up actuating perfectly good bolt rifles before when in a hurry and have had semi autos not load quite right at a range.

If I could carry a backup side arm it would be one thing, but with no backup allowed? I suspect that they do that just to make sensible people not go after close range wild boar.

I guess I will just have to accept using a smooth bore multi barrel. Too bad the chiappa triple isn't available rifled.

I didn't realize that the 1/2 diameter slug aspect was significant. I guess that would mean something in the .30 / .338 caliber range from a 12 G? That would take a lot of twist to run a setup like that, more like .338 win mag type twist if I am following along properly.

I have seen a few copper rounds with the same slug for a 20 and 12 G, but it was significantly larger than .30 cal.

Is that for that particular deer area or CA wide?

The funny thing about some of these CA no lead laws is that it just encourages people to buy guns with bigger barrels.

Do you think we could get any of those Hubel rounds like the 24 G / 585 to pass as a shotgun slug shooter in CA?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.