Swarovski X5 Riflescope Review

Could have fooled me. The 11-111 in a long range caliber (I have one) is 1100 bucks with no scope. Put a Swaro on it and you have a good down payment on a new supercar

neither here no there...mostly there.:rolleyes:

I just purchased a new Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56mm with the illuminated BRX-I reticle. It's mounted on a new Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight 6.5-300 Wby Mag rifle. I like the BRX-I reticle and the illumination. For long range competition, I use my Schmidt & Bender PM II's in either 5-25 or 3-27 both of which have excellent glass but are too heavy and bulky for hunting.

That would be quite an undertaking if done properly. Also, there are scopes made for long range hunting and scopes made for target for, etc. Some of the scopes would be hard to get for evaluation. Send Len an email.

But one thing for sure I think the X5 would be one of them.

You had my attention right up until you mentioned "second focal plane". then I quit reading.

I've got a nice 1.5 X fixed power Swarovski scope built into the receiver of my Steyr AUG assault rifle and it's a great, reliable optic. But for long range variable power scopes I want FFP and mil/mil turrets and reticles reticles like those on my competition scope.

But one reticle I'll never buy is a BDC. They lie too often. Christmas tree reticles like the Horus H59 are my preference because I know how to use them and prefer holding to dialing.

Eric B.

When I met the scopes designers from Austria my first question was why second focal plane. They explained they had made a scope in FFP and it did not sell well. They also said FFP crowds the scopes view. After shooting the X5i out to 1400 yards I really did not care if it was FFP or not. If the shooter does what needs to be done before taking the long rang shot, there was no problem. Later after I wrote this article I purchased an X5 with the BRX reticle. It works. Also, they said in their experience the MOA adjustments sold better but mentioned the possibility of MILs later on.

I'm new to this forum and have been enjoying all the information on here. I'm looking at getting the x5i Swaro. I do a lot of elk hunting in northwest MT. Shots can be extremely close and out to 1000 yards or so. Killed a bull couple years ago at 20ft. I'm trying to decide on the magnification to get. 3.5-18x50 or the 5-25x56? Any thoughts? The country I hunt in is extremely thick. Is the 5-25x56 too much for up close shots? Thanks.

The 5-25 is an excellent scope for long range. The only problem is at 25x the field of view is small. This can be corrected by turning down the power. The glass will pick up well in low light situations. If you get the "i"" model that will help in low light. They are big and bulky but easy to read the turret.

Could have fooled me. The 11-111 in a long range caliber (I have one) is 1100 bucks with no scope. Put a Swaro on it and you have a good down payment on a new supercar

neither here no there...mostly there.:rolleyes:

4k won't get you much on a 300K supercar.

My point is, this is quickly becoming a rich person's sport. Gone are the days of sanely priced equipment and rifles.
That, in itself, will cause the sport to decline as the audience decreases. The average 'Joe' can no longer afford the equipment and raise and feed a family.
Myself, I have all the 'tools' in my toolbox that I need to hunt anywhere in the world, any game animal.
Glad I bought the 'tools' when they were sanely priced.

I copied your post SideCar because I cant agree anymore than 1000% with it. I was age 50 before I could afford such toys...and at age 68 in bad health, I cant use them. Im still buying some though...:D...have that 338-06 in the shop now getting smoked over.

Its an utter shame that this sport cant be utilized by younger, healthier men,,,,

Last edited:
When it comes to quality firearms and optics you really do get what you pay for. I only have one 'really good' all around rifle and I sold a bunch of run of the mill shooters in my safe to get a brand new X5i 3.5x18. I can argue with the best of them that this is THE scope to have on your all around hunting rifle if you are into optics and hunt in the west. Most of us on this forum have pretty flat shooting cartridges so the ffp vs sfp is kinda mute in normal hunting scenarios on deer sized game. I have found that if shooting long range then I have the time to crank to 18x and then I am the same as ffp but with a much better x-hair to game size ratio.
I think alot of people make the mistake of buying the 5-25 for LR hunting when they should have tried on the 3.5-18.

If one cant afford new then there are some good deals that can be had on used. I picked up a second x5i on this forum that was brand new for 2 grand. Saved 800 bucks.

When it comes to quality firearms and optics you really do get what you pay for. I only have one 'really good' all around rifle and I sold a bunch of run of the mill shooters in my safe to get a brand new X5i 3.5x18. I can argue with the best of them that this is THE scope to have on your all around hunting rifle if you are into optics and hunt in the west. Most of us on this forum have pretty flat shooting cartridges so the ffp vs sfp is kinda mute in normal hunting scenarios on deer sized game. I have found that if shooting long range then I have the time to crank to 18x and then I am the same as ffp but with a much better x-hair to game size ratio.
I think alot of people make the mistake of buying the 5-25 for LR hunting when they should have tried on the 3.5-18.

If one cant afford new then there are some good deals that can be had on used. I picked up a second x5i on this forum that was brand new for 2 grand. Saved 800 bucks.
I agree with you 100%.

I was interested in the X5 until I saw that top turret. Can't get past the look. Considering the Vortex AMG. Anyone have any comparisons between the two?

I was interested in the X5 until I saw that top turret. Can't get past the look. Considering the Vortex AMG. Anyone have any comparisons between the two?

Votex is a FFP I believe so it wouldnt be one of my alternate picks for hunting. I dont know enough about the high end vortex to say anything.
I cant see the turret on my X5 when using the scope so it dosent bother me! but its real easy to read and manipulate with gloves. Germans tend to listen to their engineers and Americans tend to listen to their marketing and accounting guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.