Stock recommendations

Bob58

In another post, someone asked questions regarding bedding and stiffening in a synthetic Remington stock. Mr. Carlock's response was to save himself trouble, and just buy a replacement stock.

I'm in a similar situation with a synthetic stock on a Savage Model 12. Based on Mr. Carlock's answer, I'd like to replace that stock with something better, but do so on a budget. Any suggestions? The Bell & Carlson stocks don't seem too expensive, but I don't know if they are that much better than what I already have.

Are there general guidelines for this (for example, don't use anything that's polymer based, don't use anything that's injection molded, look for something that's fiberglass based, ... etc.)

Thanks,

Bob58

For your Savage I would get ahold of Kevin Rayhill @ Stockade Gunstocks. I have one of his on a Savage and I am ready to get another one. This new one I am getting is the bargain basement un finished model for $150. You have to fill prime and paint yourself.I wanted to try out a camo pattern is the reason why. He will get you squared away.

Kevin Rayhill's stocks are top notch for the Savages and their are pretty light to , that would be my first choice but my second would be Bell&Carlson's Duramaxx stock for the money they are hard to be and a major step up from the factory plastic.

100_1236.jpg

this is a stockade muledeer stock on my savage 116 great stock its a out of the mold unfinished $189 from brownells about 2 years ago I'm not sure of the price now but it would be cheaper from kevin.

if your interested in a laminate get in touch with joel russo he has the best laminate stock there is i have 3 different laminates and his are a cut above the rest

just checked and the money save muledeer is $150

JIM

Last edited:
i concur with the above posts regarding stockade stocks. i bought the mule deer from brownells. you may have to do a bit of tweaking, but it is well worth it. i had to do a little sanding on the tang area so it was free floating (savages don't like pressure on the tang), some reshaping of trigger guard screw hole and a longer front receiver screw. that being said, i just ordered the money saver tactical stock stock for my next kirby build: 338 edge on a savage action. since i am limited to a single shot, kevin is making the stock a single shot stock. it will come in at around 32 oz. the beauty of the money saver/out of mold stocks are you can paint them to your liking. i use brownell's alumahyde II.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.