Stabilizers. short vs. long

jammer300

I currently shoot and hunt with a 4" stabilizer on my bow and was thinking about trying a longer stabilizer. What are some of your thoughts? Does the extra length and weight moved further out from the bow help with stabilization and accuracy?

Don't know since all I have shot is a 6" s-coil. My bow balances pretty well for me and the s-coil takes out some hand shock. It depends on what works for you and it seems to me if I am in thick brush I don't want a long stabilizer getting in my way.

Don't know since all I have shot is a 6" s-coil. My bow balances pretty well for me and the s-coil takes out some hand shock. It depends on what works for you and it seems to me if I am in thick brush I don't want a long stabilizer getting in my way.

+1! A friend (a pro staffer from a major bow company and accessories) of mine uses the longest stabilizer (allowed) when he competes but uses the shortest or without stabilizer (if possible) when out hunting.

Well, I use a 12 inch B-Stinger with a 12oz dish on the end and see no need to change. When I first put it on my bow I started immediately shooting robin hoods at 20 yards. After wrecking a few Easton Axis I learned quick to not shoot at the same spot. It really helps hold the bow steady and I really like it except hunting out of a ground blind. I typically take it off in those. Otherwise I never go without it. It is exceptionally steady out of a tree stand.

A stabilizer is used for cancellation of torque, vibration, and helps balance the bow. Know your limits on your distance for accuracy for a hunting bow and choose what works best for you. Get with some archery buddies and try their stabilizers on your bow. I use a 4" on my hunting bow it has parallel limbs. Years back before the bows of today I used stabilizers to 10" for hunting.

I like to think of a stabilizer as two things, a vibration dampener and for balance. For balance, think of a tight rope walker, the longer the stick they hold, the better balance they have. Same goes for the more weight you have away from you, the more stability you will have. For dampening, the more mass you have at the end with a good rubber portion between the weight and the stabilizer shaft, the better dampening you will get.
I use a 6" on my hunting bow and wouldn't recommend going longer so you don't get it caught on every branch you pass and so you can fit it in the bow case without taking it off. Mine is more for damping of the bow than balance. Ideally, for a hunting bow, I wouldn't use one at all as some bows now are so well balanced.

thanks for your help guys. I did pick up a 10" stabilizer and gave it a try and so far I like it. I have noticed that getting the weight a little farther out from my bow has helped me become more stable and as a result has helped me tighten up my groups.

Yes, getting the weight further from the riser will help with balance, torque, stability etc. BUT you have to find a nice balance for hunting. Can't be hunting (well I guess you could, but itd be hard) with a 30" target stabilizer that I use for indoor shooting or 3D compeitions. I have 6" on my hunting bow but have been thinking of experimenting with a 10-12"

for those thinking of going 12 for where I mostly hunt which is the woods of MN and WI the extra length has not been a factor at all. I have not gotten caught up or tangled up in brush and it has not been a problem in stand except I will add that it can be a problem in some pop up blinds so if I am in a smaller blind I take it off. I have no problems in my DoubleBull but I do in this other cheap small blind I have. Going from Point A-B I typically have my bow either in a sling or attached to my backpack (Blue Widow). If I am still hunting the stabilizer is kind of leading the way through the brush so again, not a factor.

I hunt in the grasslands. No trees. I shoot a 30" acrylic front with two 12" backs. Why not?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.