Spot & Stalk or Ambush

Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?

• MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk

Votes: 999 75.4%
  • MOSTLY - Ambush

Votes: 326 24.6%

• Total voters
My local blacktail are not predictable enough to ambush.

So, grab a high point, glass every open spot within 1500 yards, spot them feeding in the open, then hope to find a shooting platform within a few hundred yards.

Or, sneak through the trees, and try to be quieter than they are. Of course, they can sense a valid tag long before you can see them, so this doesn't always work.

Hiking with a backpack on and going wherever I want to go and jump shooting bucks has been my most favorite way to hunt deer but now poking one across the canyon with a good long range rifle is becoming my second most favorite way to hunt them. With all the technical advances it's like a new game and I'm having fun.

I was going to reply to the pole, but I technically don't hunt "western" White tail. I hunt Just east of the Mississippi lol. -- I'm lazy, I ambush from a tried and true spot.

If your not using both your not using all the tools in the tool box. :) No place for both on the poll.

Haven't hunted Western deer so I didn't vote but, would prefer Spot & Stalk.

Both, depending on the situation/terrain/time of day etc. But graetly prefer spot and stock to any other method hands down.

I'll spot and stalk in areas I don't know but once I know them I go to ambush mode so I can slip in and out without disrupting any animal movement with stalking. Eventually, if the animal movements haven't gotten out of wack you can start taking a few out or wait for a big buck to work through.

old areas, i used ambush for wt, mulley deer in the morning and evenings.
if they don't show up i change tactics and go after them.
starting few years ago, with cwd on deer, they tend to change behavior, so ambush is not working all the time.
you start seeing big bucks between 10-11am, 2-4pm, exactly when you are relaxing between morning and evening hunt.
in week days - mo-fri, not a problem for ambush, but on end of the week... notca chance on some areas.
i have to walk deeper from the main roads to be able to fill my tags.

The place I hunt I can only ambush becaus its so thick and can only get a 20 yard shots.
but on windy days I stalk I know where they are bedding with there noses to the wind, I have made shots from 5 to 10 feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.