Spices and tenderizing agent ideas for Elk fajitas using flour tortilla shells and peppers

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I want to pre-mix strips of peppers and other vegetables using a marinade of some sort for tenderizing the elk steak strips.

Then make small meal size packages (without the tortillas of course) and place in the freezer for future meals.

Any good recipe and tenderizing ideas out there?

I personally would seperate the Elk Meat and Veggies seperately, because each of these componants requires different cooking times. I like my fajita veggies (Red Onion, Yellow Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic, and Jalepeno w/o seeds......but cater to what you like) firm and cunchy (usually around 2 mins on high heat), not sauggy. Almost impossible to cook both together and get the right consistency IMO.

BTW, I love fajitas, so curious how others may tenderize their meat. I usually cut into finger length strips and pound it out with meat mallet.

Myself, I marinate my meat in red wine overnight, but then I'm a closet wino.:D

There are some good marinate recipes on the net.

Personally, I think it has to do with individual taste.

For fajitas I'd use lime juice, vinegar and oil for a meat tenderizing marinade . I frequently utilize an Italian dressing mix as a tenderizer. Other items for tenderizing meat are :
Tea: Contains tannins which are a natural tenderizer. Make a cup or two of strong black tea, allow it to cool and then use to marinate.
Wine, Citrus Juices, Vinegar: These are acidic liquids that soften muscle fibers (and add flavor too). For citrus juice, try lemon, lime or pineapple. Vinegar can be apple cider, balsamic or regular household vinegar. Red wine is a good choice since it also contains tannins.

Bon appitet

When I have my wild game processed, all tough meats are turned into hamburgers.

Elk meat is one the best! When it comes to elk fajitas I do not marinade it with any citrus esp. overnight as it will cook the meat unless you want them pre-cooked. :D

My personal preference is to marinate the meat with dry ingredients (homemade or store bought) only (most of the time an hour or two is plenty). Cook meat in olive oil to rare to medium rare (again my personal preference). Remove from heat and rest.

Using same pan and oil, saute garlic and onions until caramelized and add peppers and finish it to a crisp (I don't like them overcooked). I like varying and complimenting textures in my food. :)

Mix together and adjust seasoning as required. Serve and enjoy with your favorite condiments and beverage. :cool:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In cooking, tenderizing is breaking down collagens in meat to make it more palatable.
There are a number of ways to tenderize meat:

I never had the need to tenderized any of my wild game meat but if I have to, I'd go the mechanical route (piercing increases quicker absorption of spices too) and then marinade it with dry ingredients.

I have done the buttermilk marinade in the past to lighten up the gamey taste /smell on some of my harvests but I found out that 7-UP/Sprite does a better job for me. Having said that, I've also used JD with honey for marinade.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts