Something very WRONG with this photo.

Wow, I know when I look at Mt bear tracks of both grizzly and black bear I see claw marks out front, blacks are obviously tighter to the pad but they are absalutely not retracted. I've killed a heck of a lot of Mt lion and if you want a claw pic you have to force the claws out, never had to do that with a bear!
In my experience the bottom of any animals foot with a pad will be the color of what ever they dug or walked in till they get wet, lot of light colored clay dirt everywhere in the west. Kinda like the dirt that the bear is laying in, go figure!!

Just a for what it's worth. I know where AGL4now lives and have been reading his stuff for years. I also know guys that he has guided. He is the real deal and is as rugged and tough as they come. If any of you have ever watched Jeremiah Johnson, well AGL4now is as close to a modern day Bear Claw as they come. He knows his stuff about bears. That being said black bears vary depending on where your finding them. It's been a long, long winter deep in the bush of Alaska so let's just all cut the guy a break. I think that if we were all hashing this out around a campfire then it would be a good time. However since we aren't face to face it becomes easy to go on the offense. We are all birds of the feather or we wouldn't be on this forum.

Iffen I were to wander deep into the Alaskan outback there isn't a soul around that I would rather have watching my back than AGL4now unless maybe it was my wifes sister in a tizzy fit. If she'da been Timmy Treadwells girfriend that bear that bit her would have only taken one bite and he'd still be spittin the taste out of his mouth to this day...........................I ain't kiddin!

Elmer, well written. As a wildlife biologist I still would like to see a black bear with retractable claws. I am betting we have a different definition of retractable......I'm using retractable to mean like a cat has.......just sayin.....

I'm thinking your right! Since there is variation amongst the same species in different locations then it's pretty hard to make general statements across the board with multiple species involved. However in AGL4nows neck of the woods he knows the bear in his neck of the woods like no other! Out of his neck of the woods..................I dunno!

If you are correct then the whole thing is what I first thought it was. A joke. He just took the joke far enough to convince me that he had never actually seen a bear. I get it now. Retractable claws on a bear is pretty funny.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.