Some days at work are better than others

TXAoudadKlr

Got this guy while working on the ranch on Monday . We were coming up on a feeder we had just filled two hours earlier and stopped 150-160 yards away to see what deer were out by the feeder. After observing them for a few seconds I scanned the area to see what else was there and spotted aoudad 15 yards to the left of the deer. I centered up on the lead aoudad resting the forend of the rifle in the bottom half of the folding windshield on our ranger. I shot and I knew I had pulled it. They ran to the left and down into the canyon. I swung to the left and found them behind a large cedar bush and some dead tree's one of the larger Rams stepped out walking to the right and stopped ~200 yards out giving me a quartering towards me shot. Centered on the front of the shoulder and the .280 barked I saw the impact and a blood spot and knew he was hit very hard. He went down into the canyon 10-15 yards and piled up.

After pulling him out of the canyon we continued on and finished filling feeders and picked him up on our way back out. I recovered the 140gr core lock dead center in the adjacent side shoulder just underneath the hide.

I weighed him at 187lbs with 25" horns and 10" bases.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 220
Most the weekend when we went out we took a 22LR along incase we spotted the heard of feral goats that are on the property. We took 3 of them while were there. It's funny because that time I decided to take the 280, I'm glad I did. Overall was a good work weekend at the ranch, we got all of our task for the weekend done and then some.

My dad and I are going back for Father's Day to actually hunt them not just some random encounter.

Yeah, they've bent and busted off some pipes on our protein feeders in the past along with the whitetail aren't fans of them. We put feed out for deer but the sheep eat a majority of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.