So how do you get into shape???

Do what we used to do when I was in an eod group and what the seals do mostly now. Crossfit. 30 min a day and that's it. Google it. There are also the caveman workout, any of the mma workouts but the crossfit site is easy to start with and if you can't do some of the lifts or don't have the equipment then they have substitute exercises. These are proven. The military guys that use these workout regaments hike with much more weight in much worse conditions than most any civilian. Just my thought.

Fascinating thread, wish that it had continued.

I am almost 71, cancer survivor, and trying to exercise regular, I am moving from Northern MI to NE Wa this week.

Ben didnt say how old his father is, that can make a big difference. I try to do 2 miles walking a day, and five miles on the weekends. I started after a couple weeks with a light day pack, then added 15 lbs and try to add 5-10 lbs a mos.

I also do a daily exercise routine, pushups, squats with dumbells, etc, and adding weight almost weekly, but I seriously believe that walking uphills with packs, AND a rifle is one of the best conditioners that you can do.

Would like to see some updates on this.

Just got back from my wilderness hunt and let me tell you this...it was one tough SOB! I was the oldest on the hunt and I surprised myself as to how good I did. 6 hard days hunting plus a 30 mile horseback ride in & out. Sure I was a little sore after the ride in, but was good to go the next morning for hunting. Covered miles of riding and hiking every day, up at 4:30 AM, out all dat and back to camp usually between 8:30 & 9 PM.

I will be definately be staying in shape as it took a lot of work to get where I am now!

I came back from my hunt happy with my fitness perfomance during the hunt. I wish I had brough moleskin or stuff for blisters because even though I did tough it out, walking/running would have been easier and I would not have fallen so much stepping over snow-covered logs.

Do what we used to do when I was in an eod group and what the seals do mostly now. Crossfit. 30 min a day and that's it. Google it. There are also the caveman workout, any of the mma workouts but the crossfit site is easy to start with and if you can't do some of the lifts or don't have the equipment then they have substitute exercises. These are proven. The military guys that use these workout regaments hike with much more weight in much worse conditions than most any civilian. Just my thought.
+1 on crossfit. I train by doing powerlifting, strongman, and some crossfit. Crossfit would be the best workout I could think of when getting in shape for a hunt because it helps endurance, along with physical and mental strength. Crossfit is nice too because it's a different workout everyday so it keeps your body guessing just like a sport or a big hunt would. There are plenty of crossfit sites that post their wod (workout of the day) for their followers too.

This is interesting, I hadnt heard of crossfit but will check it out.

I backpack and am training some pack goats, so I guess that I will go back to my own pack and start adding weight. Here in NE Wa I have a lot of steep hills to climb and will.

Being a resident of the state of Michigan and not having any of the challenges I'd be up against on my hunts out in Wyoming or Idaho I found myself a high school football field and used their bleachers to practice on.

Going UP and then back DOWN them at a fairly rapid pace until my thighs felt like they were on fire. At first it was just me without any additional weight,.. then I progressed with a backback holding an additional 10 lbs. Each week I added more weight to the pack and stayed at that level until it went fairly smoothly before adding more weight. After an additional 40 lbs in the pack it was going pretty well for me. I felt like I should be OK with what I was going to be up against. As stated prior though,.. there's NO way you can prepare yourself for the altitude and oxygen difference,.. that comes with some time in the hills. It took me about 4 days to feel like I was breathing better than I was when I first got there (altitudes there ranged from 6900-9800 ft.)

Being a "flatlander" (my norm here at home is 600-700ft) Even after all of my trying to prepare myself I still found myself huffing and puffing at times and had to slow down or stop for a short break,.. some of those drainages are real hell-holes !

at 66 staying in shape is just as important as getting in shape. As I have already hunted in Wyoming and Oregon I am doing well right now but have one more elk hunt to go. This time of the year I concentrate on hills, with a 20 lb pack and 5 or more times a week. My hill is 1000 feet high and a mile from bottom to top. I also do a little weight work for the upper body but hills are what works for me. I quit running many years ago and now only do hiking. Outdoor hiking is the best because it also conditions the knees, ankles, and side muscles. Bad weather is on a tread mill at 12% with the same pack. As onother said elevation is a killer and takes a couple of days. Lots of hiking for elk but many also hike to much and don't sit and glass and watch enough !!

I have been involved in sports for most my life and used basic cardio and strength training routines I learned through sports.

But nothing gets me in shape like P90X. It isn't a program for the light hearted, it is brutal especially the first few weeks but there in nothing like it IMO. I am in better shape today, 39 YO, than I have ever been.

P90X is fantastic!

at 66 staying in shape is just as important as getting in shape. As I have already hunted in Wyoming and Oregon I am doing well right now but have one more elk hunt to go. This time of the year I concentrate on hills, with a 20 lb pack and 5 or more times a week. My hill is 1000 feet high and a mile from bottom to top. I also do a little weight work for the upper body but hills are what works for me. I quit running many years ago and now only do hiking. Outdoor hiking is the best because it also conditions the knees, ankles, and side muscles. Bad weather is on a tread mill at 12% with the same pack. As onother said elevation is a killer and takes a couple of days. Lots of hiking for elk but many also hike to much and don't sit and glass and watch enough !!

Right there with you my friend,.. just hit the big 60 this summer,.. still can't believe it,... where did all the time go ?? It seems I was in my 30's not that long ago. Been to Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming starting in the late 90's in persuit of Wapiti,.. never had a better time in all my life. Plan on much more of it in my future.

at 66 staying in shape is just as important as getting in shape. As I have already hunted in Wyoming and Oregon I am doing well right now but have one more elk hunt to go. This time of the year I concentrate on hills, with a 20 lb pack and 5 or more times a week. My hill is 1000 feet high and a mile from bottom to top. I also do a little weight work for the upper body but hills are what works for me. I quit running many years ago and now only do hiking. Outdoor hiking is the best because it also conditions the knees, ankles, and side muscles. Bad weather is on a tread mill at 12% with the same pack. As another said elevation is a killer and takes a couple of days. Lots of hiking for elk but many also hike to much and don't sit and glass and watch enough !!
Right there with you my friend,.. just hit the big 60 this summer,.. still can't believe it,... where did all the time go ?? It seems I was in my 30's not that long ago. Been to Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming starting in the late 90's in pursuit of Wapiti,.. never had a better time in all my life. Plan on much more of it in my future.
Dear 7mm Mag, I thought you'd be past 65:D, being a Viet Vet. But since you've been living an active life, keeping in shape should be a given, witness your exercise regimen. You still can maintain your peak till about 63, then it will slowly try to catch up with you. In less than two months I'll also be 66. BTW I think that elk hunting in the mountain states is the toughest hunt I've taken. More so than sheep hunt or elk hunt in Arizona or New Mexico.
I have been involved in sports for most my life and used basic cardio and strength training routines I learned through sports.

But nothing gets me in shape like P90X. It isn't a program for the light hearted, it is brutal especially the first few weeks but there in nothing like it IMO. I am in better shape today, 39 YO, than I have ever been.

P90X is fantastic!
Wait till you're past 57 YO:cool:. Mean while, you can still get better, if you keep at it.

Im doing the mule deer shuffle, strap on crampons and pound Montana vertical in 2-3 feet of snow, same for elk. It will make you tough or kill ya, just got done doing 8 days, and I have a week to go

Dear 7mm Mag, I thought you'd be past 65, being a Viet Vet.

I'm 63 and served exactly the same years with a tour in RVN but I spent three years in college going through ROTC. So 60 YO would be exactly right for an NCO who went straight from high school.

I still jog about 3 miles per day and work with enough weight to help with my bowhunting. Because wearing boots is a different than running shoes I will hike some days instead of jogging.