sniper makes record-breaking kill shot in Iraq

Hello,

Jack Murphy and SOFREP powers have been shown the predator drone video :D

THEIS

Yeah, he may have been a bit higher, but unless he was much higher, the drop would still necessitate a lot of hold over. Plus Coriolis could have added to the hold. I figured he could just back down the power to enable holdover within field of view, but that range even 60x would have a pretty wide FOV. I'm still amazed, especially if it was indeed a first round cold bore hit. What does an 18" target at 3200 yds work out to in MILS and MOA, like .2 MOA?

.......Hello,Harperc---We (The USA) would get "part" assist lol, since the complete rifle was/is not made in USA..the chassis is from Cadex.......JTF2 has some of the top, top of the line equipment :)......

The article I saw only had familiar names like McMillan, and Lilja. Always good when more knowledgeable folks weigh in.

Go Canada !! Hockey and long range , hell yeah!! Just messing with you boys down south. Hell of a shot though. Takin em down one at a time.
We try to help you as much as we can , but our prime minister is a real *** !! He'd rather bring people with permanents tans into our country.

Yeah, he may have been a bit higher, but unless he was much higher, the drop would still necessitate a lot of hold over. Plus Coriolis could have added to the hold. I figured he could just back down the power to enable holdover within field of view, but that range even 60x would have a pretty wide FOV. I'm still amazed, especially if it was indeed a first round cold bore hit. What does an 18" target at 3200 yds work out to in MILS and MOA, like .2 MOA?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/new-longest-confirmed-sniper-kill-188349/ I discuss the shot specifics (as they're known) in a bit of technical detail. An 18" wide target at 3500m would subtend about .14mils (math is very close but not precise because I'm feeling lazy). So it would be about as wide as a reticle main line. Good luck even seeing a target that small. A 6ft tall person would subtend roughly about .4mils of vertical, which is similarly teeny tiny. Even at 25x through an MSR reticle, the target would be impossible to hold "on" because the reticle itself would obscure most of or all of it.

Ballistic AE has a rangefinder section with a hollow mildot reticle, this should give you an idea of what an 18" target would look like (converted to yards). This is 10x, you can adjust the reticle and power in the program as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6049.jpg
    IMG_6049.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6052.jpg
    IMG_6052.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 29
Hello,

The only problem with anyone trying to "anotomize" the shoot is that NOBODY knows what the optic used was :)
Yes the "standard" issue sniper scope for Canadian SF is the 5-25 S&B, BUT you have to understand that JTF2 is equivalent to the USA Delta Force...just because its used to typical SF units does not mean that is what Delta or JTF2 have to utilize.

So IF you throw in the 12-50x S&B...
So IF you throw in the 5-45x S&B...
So IF you throw in some of the "new" adaptive zoom" optics being tested and fielded...
So IF you throw in a TARAC Charlie set at 100mils....

Either one of those and/or combination of those type equipment(s) changes pretty much the entire spectrum of "anotimizing" a shot that the equipment is not publicly known.

Also if someone has the spare time and know what to look for, you can utilize satellite images of where the ISIS fighting was last month in Mosul and get a real good picture of where this shot MIGHT have taken place :)
I suggest Airbus satellite images...

THEIS

Hello,

It is also important to NOTE that there were 2 traditional Canadian Special Forces Sniper Teams in the area..but the JTF2 Team took the shot, even though all 3 Teams had been training specifically for ELR missions in Mosul...so by deductive reasoning...the JTF2 Team very likely had different equipment than the Traditional SF unit had. The type of equipment to surpass the achievable distances by the Traditional SF units on site.

THEIS

Special equipment is probably right, have any of you seen the Darpa, Exacto bullets. With what I've read about video of shot taken by other team, evidently much closer to get good video. I'm thinking real world test of this system. Don't know how to post link but look it up on youtube. It is steerable like laser designation. This and moving targets at elr are what system is designed for. Just a thought in a tiny mind no proof or extra knowledge.

Hello,

Tripdad...I would rule out the exacto bullet. The exactro program has been closed and all participants have been "read out" of the program.
It was stopped because not only did it NOT increase capabilities over standard projectile ammo but actually decreased capabilities.
The exacto program did not "steer" correctly once it slowed to a certain velocity..which was under transonic velocity. So that actually limited the capabilities from Trained Sniper Units.

THEIS

Frank at the hide said it was confimed that the TARAC Charlie was used. That explains allot on the elevation side.

I'm currious how the wind calls were facilitated, and how corrections were called... forward observer?

Frank at the hide said it was confimed that the TARAC Charlie was used. That explains allot on the elevation side.

Supposedly there are teams training for ELR so nice to see the envelope being pushed.

I'm currious how the wind calls were facilitated, and how corrections were called... forward observer?

Hello,

Not saying how this is how they done it, but they did have access to one of the most expensive forward observers...the Predator drone.
Easy for video to be linked into video equipment.

THEIS

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.