Smokeless rifle propellants – burn rates

lever-hed

well, in the midst of trying to figure out how to add a photo, I deleted this post. lightbulb

In response I'm basically in need of densities for 25-06 and 308 . Which powders pack the cases 95% full, I assume its the slower powders, should I consider Varget, or H1000 or something? What works for you guys? :)

Last edited:
If you would provide us with the brass and bullet manufacturer for one caliber we can give you some starting points.

If you have not done so it would be worthwhile to purchase additional reloading manuals. Maybe a Nosler and Sierra.

Using Rem or WW cases, CCI BR2 primers, 117-gr Sierra GK SBT's, or Nosler 115-gr BT's (.257). Nosler lists high densities for RL-19, Retumbo, Magnum, IMR4831.. if anyone has experience using H4895, H1000 or Varget for the 25-06 (either the Sierra's or Noslers) please let me know, I appreciate any insight.. thanks.

Go to the Hodgdon web site and you will find all the info you need on loads for those powders. What shoots in my rifle might not in yours. I have found that the best powders for the 115 to 117 gr bullets in the 25-06 are IMR or AA 4350 or H-4831. H-1000 will get you just a tad more velocity but nothing to wright home to mom about, but the accuracy of the other powders was not there for me with H-1000. Varget it not a good powder to use for the 25-06 but it is great in the 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.