Smith & Wesson M&P 15 PC Review By Jeff Munnell

ADMIN

Administrator
This past July, the good folks from Blue Heron Communications invited a few gun writer types to travel to Encampment, Wyoming, to hunt prairie dogs, ground squirrels, rock chucks and coyotes on the Silver Spur Ranch with Spur Outfitters. We would be using a variety of Smith & Wesson firearms from their Performance Center, but chiefly we would be using their M&P 15 in a couple of configurations chambered for the 5.56 x 45, otherwise known as the .223 Remington. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Smith & Wesson M&P 15 PC Review, By Jeff Munnell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited:
I've had excellent results with Benchmark and 55gr bullets. After reading this article, I want to try with the 69gr SMK. Great article.

I would really be interested in a test with a "totally cold bbl" shooting 5 shot groups. As Jeff said this rifle tends to toss the first shot outside of the group, I am wondering if the bbl he was shooting might warp slightly just changing the point of impact once it reached shooting temp after the first shot? (I know how boring it can be to wait for the bbl temp to return to the same temp after each shot using a accurate measuring device, such as a infrared thermometer. So I would take a few other guns to the range with me just for something to do between shots.:D)
As Jeff points out however, it is not a big deal as the groups it fired were still well within hunting needs.
I have owned several long guns over the years that changed point of impact when the bbl was totally cold as opposed to being shot every 10 to 20 min or so on a trip to the range.
I just think it would be an interesting experiment is all. A couple of my rifles were "cured" by having the bbl cryogenically stress relieved. Like this gun, they fired just outside of the best part of the group. On a couple of others it was a matter of a proper bedding job or free floating the bbl. However one of them I was never able to get to group with the other rounds, no matter what I did to it.
Thanks again for the great article Jeff. A store near me has these on sale for a very good price this weekend and I think you helped me make up my mind about buying one. I will tell the wife YOU talked me into it!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.