Short Barrel Mountain Rifle

Is there a lot of wasted powder using the 30 cal if using the wsm? If a 300blk can achieve efficiency with 9", what are the lengths for 308 and 300wsm that additional barrel length aren't dramatically necessary? How many fps would the wsm offer over the 308 in the same length? How much faster does all the powder burn over 30-06 and 300WM?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the efficiency. A 300 WSM from an 18-20" barrel will still out perform a 30-06 from a 24" barrel. If you handload, you can play around with different powders to try and find one which will give you the highest velocities from the shorter barrel. When running rifle calibers in short barrels I typically run powders on the faster side of what's listed in the load manuals.

You could also go with a larger bore diameter. The 325 WSM does better than the 300 WSM out of a shorter barrel. It has a lot to do with expansion ratio. Don't over think it though. Any of them will smack an elk plenty hard at reasonable ranges.

My wife has a 20" barrel 30-06 in a Savage lady hunter and I find it a pleasure to shoot. It reminds me of hunting with the trusty model 94 30-30. Swings and points natural and can carry all day long no problem up in these lovely Colorado mountains.

Actually, I have another thread in the ballistics forum more appropriate for my other questions.

I think the few that have chimed in to this thread feel the general idea of the short barrel 30 cal is valid regardless if I chose magnum or not. I am leaning toward the wsm at this point though.

I know guys that have harvested elk with both but I've heard about more being lost with a non magnum. My limited time hunting elk did make me want as many odds in my favor as possible because bulls aren't as easy to find as one might think.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the efficiency.

+1! The efficiency and effectiveness is realized when you successfully harvest your bull elk humanely.

Cheers!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 20
jtmoose,
I've had a similar idea, although to my mind a 20" barrel with some fluting to remove a bit of weight and shift the center of balance back closer to between the hands sounds about right.

Chambered in .358 Win., loaded with a premium bullet of choice and topped with a 1.5-5 power Leopold or similar scope. In my mind that would make a great timber rifle for elk and you could stretch it to 200 or 250 yards if a shot presented itself.

my short barrel mtn rifles are 22 and 24 inches. a rem 700 mtn rifle 30-06, a rem 700 ti 300 saum. plenty short and light for me.

Honestly for that kind of range and the game you are after I would be breaking out a lever action Marlin, Winchester or Henry. Winchesters 375 Big Bore, a 45-70, .348 Winchester, .338 Marlin, lots of fun options with older or newer production levers. Great 200 yard or less options in thick timber.

None, last year was my first year and I only saw them during deer season. The places I've gone are mostly timber but plenty of clear cuts that have some good distance across them. I just don't know enough yet other than the rifle I was using got heavy and caught on the brush a lot.

The places I've gone are mostly timber but plenty of clear cuts that have some good distance across them.

That statement makes me think you would be better off with a .300 WSM. I tend to think of worse case scenario, and am definitely a believer in horsepower.
If short range was in play I still wouldn't hesitate to tell you a .308 is fine, especially with the comment about being able to practice more with it. I took my 18" barreled .308 on an elk trip this year for the short range scenario, but took some big heavy hitters for long ranges and one for ELR.
Maybe a short barreled .300 is the ticket for you.

The .308. The WSM needs more barrel to affect a burn. The .308 is less sensitive to barrel length. If you are sure you will be under 250 yards, the .308 all the way. This is coming from a guy who probably has no use to own a .308 myself, as I'd never limit myself to that range. Why take on extra recoil for nothing? The .308 will get it done in spades at that range. 7mm-08 another option. Don't get suckered into magnum at that range. Not worth the muzzle blast or recoil, and will be dramatically affected by barrel length. You can only burn so much powder in an 18" tube, even fast-burning powder (which magnums don't like in the first place). .308 is a solid choice. BTW, I own a 300 WSM and love it in a 22 inch barrel, but not in an ultra-lightweight gun.

Last edited:
If you need the extra range of the .300WSM, then stick with a rifle that is around 8+ lbs (22 inch barrel) with the scope and mounts. Won't kick the crap out of you, and the 22 inch barrel is minimum I'd recommend for 300 WSM. That sucker will shoot a long ways.

I'd have to agree. For those distances .308 . They like short barrels. Also cut some weight and go to a #3 contour it won't wipe much being that short. I don't do any magnum in a short barrel. Doesn't make sense to give up the fps to go short. I have lots of options at that distance that can use a short barrel.

How much longer would the wsm need to be to not be more obnoxious than the 308?
20"will work but you'll want a good side discharge MB on it.

The military gets along just fine with 20-24" barrels on the .308's and 300WM's.

IF you go with the wsm and faster powders you can reduce the flast/blast quite a bit and tame it very well with a good brake.

Between the two I'd definitely go with the wsm over the 308.

My mountain rifles are all full size M700's and M70's with 24 and 26" barrels and find them just fine.

I saw a neat titanium 16" barreled .260 built on a 700 action on Gun Broker the other day that would make a bangup mountain rifle for anything smaller than Elk and could even handle them at 400yds and under IF you can poke the pill in the hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.