Shooting Schools

blackco

I guess this is the best place to post this...I would love to hear input from anyone with experience at a long range shooting school, preferable in the Montana/Idaho/Dakotas/Wyoming. I have burned a lot of powder and sent a lot of bullets downrange learning to shoot, and with the cost of bullets and powder I think it would be a great investment.
Anyways, the question is; which one? I have seen the ads for Gunwerks long range university and I have also seen an ad for a school here in Montana by Justin Rowling of Montana Precision Rifles and Mike Dominick, and when I Google...my kinda goes numb.
I'm looking for a long range shooting school directed toward hunting that is reasonable priced.
Give me your input. Thank in advance.

Look up Extreme Outer Limits shooting school in Oregon 2 days Furnish you a gun and ammo or bring your own gun and ammo pay for two nights at a motel furnish you lunch both days for $1500

406 Precision in Montana, and the Wyoming Long Range Hunting classes with Non Typical outfitters are worth your time.

I guess this is the best place to post this...I would love to hear input from anyone with experience at a long range shooting school, preferable in the Montana/Idaho/Dakotas/Wyoming. I have burned a lot of powder and sent a lot of bullets downrange learning to shoot, and with the cost of bullets and powder I think it would be a great investment.
Anyways, the question is; which one? I have seen the ads for Gunwerks long range university and I have also seen an ad for a school here in Montana by Justin Rowling of Montana Precision Rifles and Mike Dominick, and when I Google...my kinda goes numb.
I'm looking for a long range shooting school directed toward hunting that is reasonable priced.
Give me your input. Thank in advance.

Not sure what you consider reasonable but 406 Precision charges $300/day for private instruction, here's their FB site >>> https://www.facebook.com/406Precisionlongrangeshootingschool/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

NOW BOOKING 2017 CLASSES!!!
Make 2017 the year you Change the Game ..remember it's not how far you shoot, but how well you shoot! Bring your own equipment for a private or group class and learn field proven techniques designed to up your success in the field. Can't make it to Montana for a class no worries we travel and can bring our class to you.
Outfitters and Guides please inquire about our client ed programs!!!
Contact us at [email protected] or give us a call Jordan 406 925-0615 or Jason 406 596-1188

Got this from an FB post ...

Attachments

• LRSnHS.JPG
    LRSnHS.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
Since I've only attended the Gunwerks Long Range University (Levels 1 & 2) I'm not qualified to comment on the other schools but I can share what we liked/disliked about our experience with LRU.

Firstly, the biggest thing for us was to find a school truly dedicated to hunting. The LRU was absolutely that with attention paid to ethics as well as bullet selection and exterior ballistics and bullet performance that contribute to a clean kill at 'extended' ranges.

I think we went all four days and I never heard the word "tactical" come out of the instructors mouth which for us was an absolute blessing.

Since you use GW equipment the whole time, it really seemed to take a lot of unknowns out of the equation. The equipment was all calibrated, adjusted and double-checked each morning before the students arrived. This allowed us to focus on what we were trying to learn/absorb and not be worried about whether your equipment was working properly.

The facilities were top notch. And the instruction (for the most part) struck the right chord between advanced topics assuming the class had reasonable baseline of experience while not going over-the-head of some of the less experienced students.

Since all guns were suppressed, it made for a MUCH, MUCH more enjoyable time. It would have greatly reduced the enjoyment and my ability to learn if everyone in the class was shooting un-suppressed or brake rifles. I know that I am spoiled from shooting suppressed for a couple years now, but that would have been awful. I wouldn't even consider a school that didn't shoot 100% suppressed.

There were a lot of good "rules" discussed about wind calls and environmental/ballistics.

Overall it was a great experience. It was also very much NOT 4 days of sales pitch for Gunwerks equipment. They have preferred systems and methods which can be employed with any firearm and they advocate for those systems, but not their rifles per se. That was refreshing. They simply let their guns do the talking when the students hit the range, and they certainly did. As a GW rifle owner, I already knew what I could expect but you could see the light bulbs coming on for some students as they shot. It convinced my wife that her next rifle needed to be a GW (as opposed to HS Precision) and I don't think she was the only one in the class that came to that conclusion.

Finally, if I had one gripe it was that there was no time or attention paid to the fundamentals of shooting. Positioning, ergonomics, cheek weld, grip, etc. Since I'm essentially "self-taught" shooting rifles, I craved feedback and instruction on some of the basics and didn't get it until we pulled the instructor aside and begged for feedback. Now, I'm sure the instructor gets all kinds of people who think they have all the basics figured out and aren't open to much coaching on their technique - but we absolutely wanted that so we had to seek it out. So I can't blame the instructor since I'm sure he's had plenty of people tell him to pound sand when he tried to give constructive criticism.

Overall I enjoyed the experience and the Level 2 class (aka The Wind Class) was outstanding and served to inform us on why we were experiencing some things at our home range that we couldn't explain.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts