Set Triggers - Good/Bad ? Who still makes them ?

300magman

My girlfriend has put me in the doghouse lately so I've had a lot of free time to think about new rifles and other fun projects; one of the things I've discovered lately is that CZ makes several rifles with "set triggers" that apparently function just like a regular trigger at a normal pull weight but also can be set by simply clicking it forward and then fired with a VERY low put weight like a match trigger.

This sounds like an interesting concept to me, but I am wondering why I haven't heard of it before, does it not actually work that well?
Does anyone else offer a similar trigger on their rifles ( I heard Kimber did, but don't see any mention of it on their website ) also are there any aftermarket triggers that function like this?

I am curious because it sounds like a great system for someone who wants a safe hunting trigger (I like a fairly stiff put weight for use with frozen fingers in winter) but who also likes to play at the range with a light target trigger (something that would require a tedious adjustment to most standard triggers)

I used to own a brno 602 375 H&H when I lived in Canada. This is the same as the CZ 550 American available here. This rifle came with both a standard trigger and the single set trigger. I installed the set trigger and quite liked it. It was a nice option for longer shots when you had time to use it. Most of my traditional muzzleloaders have double set triggers which I also like once you get used to them.

I once shot a pre-64 Winchester model 70 that had double set triggers. The guy who owned it said it came that way from the factory although I have never seen another. Brownells still sells double set triggers for mauser actions. Someday I'm going to build one with a short barrel and mannlicher stock just because I like the looks of them. :cool:

They also sell single set triggers for Mauser 98, Ruger #1 and Remington 700.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you missed set triggers for so long. Funny how it goes now that you know you'll see them I bet. A lot of muzzle loaders, and european rifles have them.

I've a Mauser .375 with a Canjar single set trigger. I had a Remington that I sold that had one, I'd have pulled off if I knew Canjar was shutting down. There was a Model 70 that I was tempted to buy just for the trigger, but it got away.

Conjar set triggers are awesome but all things come with a price.

I have several for Mark Vs and I thing one for the Mauser. The one in current use is on the 338/26-Nosler. I don't use it often but for bench work it sure takes the trigger press error out of the equation.

The CZ set triggers are excellent. I have a 453 Varmint with one and love it. The primary (non-set) pull is light and crisp as well.

I also have a Remington Sendero on which I installed an aftermarket Kepplinger set trigger. IMHO it is not quite as nice as the CZ, the set distance -- the distance you must push it forward -- is longer. But it is still a sweet trigger.

The advantage of a set trigger is that you get a really, REALLY light target trigger when you want it, or a nice light regular trigger when you don't.

Set triggers are an acquired taste. Some people don't like how spooky light they are. I cut my teeth on Anschutz target rifles, so I love the light pull. The advantage of a single set trigger is that you aren't obligated to have ONLY that hair trigger. It is a decision you make to push the trigger forward to set it. In the field, I have made use of both options.

IMO, set triggers have their place in shooting sports. I love them for bench rest shooting (depending on the type of competition) but I hate them for hunting. Problem is that when I line up a shot, set the trigger and something happens to justify not taking the shot, the trigger is already set waaaaay to light for a lot of gun handling to facilitate the disarming of the rifle and that just raises the possibility of accidental discharges. So I don't include them on my hunting rifles. I have a TC Hawken that I target shoot with and the set trigger on that is fantastic.

IMO, set triggers have their place in shooting sports. I love them for bench rest shooting (depending on the type of competition) but I hate them for hunting. Problem is that when I line up a shot, set the trigger and something happens to justify not taking the shot, the trigger is already set waaaaay to light for a lot of gun handling to facilitate the disarming of the rifle and that just raises the possibility of accidental discharges. So I don't include them on my hunting rifles. I have a TC Hawken that I target shoot with and the set trigger on that is fantastic.
That's the cool thing of single sets. Hunting, don't use them. On the range proofing a load, oh yeah..

Are the Canjar triggers still made? I did see them mentioned in a few places before posting this thread, but when I tried to search for them all I could get was posts/articles about them and perhaps a result or two on ebay or the like. I would like to find their actual site or some contact info for their manufacturer or distributor if they are still in business.

A question about the Kepplinger - it was mentioned that you push it forward like the CZ to "set" it, only it requires a longer push...being that I've never used either it leaves me wondering if they spring back to original position after being set, or do they remain forward?
If they remain forward, is it so far forward with the Kepplinger that it makes gripping the rifle and stretching your trigger finger the extra distance forward an awkward affair?

Canjar has been gone awhile. Unless you find a rifle to cannibalize I haven't seen, but an odd one or two come available.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts