Semi Auto's for PA.

Well I was only being truthful with the warden. If I would have shot those deer they would not have been wasted. Even as a young pup if I hit a deer I tracked it until I recovered it. I have four mouths to feed so I don't waste a deer. LOL.

Yeah that's funny with game wardens. I know, that's the same here no venison gets wasted. That is why you had to make that first shot count, my Dad and Uncles were not going to let you go home until you found your wounded deer and I tracked deer well into the night, freezing my butt off. So you learned real fast to make accurate shots or don't take the shot, even on a nice buck. And you know, it made me a better hunter all those hard lessons from my Dad and Uncles.

Yeah my dad, uncles, and grandfathers taught me well over my youthful hunting childhood. Thanks to them I have passed up on quite a few nice buck for the simple reason of an unclear shot. I only shoot for a kill. If it is even questionable the gun won't go off until there is no doubt. I passed up a nice 10 point two years ago because he didn't present a good shot only to shoot him last year which he was a nice 12 point. Last year he gave me a perfect shot through the boiler room. I am teaching my sons now the same way I was taught and it has been tough but it learns ya quick too.

I guess I'm a little confused by what I'm reading here.
On the one hand it seems it's very important we make the first shot count to assure we don't get sent to our room without dinner.
And on the other hand it's also important we have the choice of using an AR in order to accomplish that?
I'll bet we can also argue that it's very important we have the choice of doing that on a Sunday couldn't we?

On the one hand it seems it's very important we make the first shot count to assure we don't get sent to our room without dinner.
And on the other hand it's also important we have the choice of using an AR in order to accomplish that?
I'll bet we can also argue that it's very important we have the choice of doing that on a Sunday couldn't we?

I'm all for Sunday hunting. As for going to your room without dinner. That's how it was if you put a bad shot on a deer and didn't find it without doing a considerate amount of tracking. And by a considerate amount of tracking im talking you better would have tracked it a good half mile to mile before quitting if you had blood. That is what I am teaching my sons that a good sportsman makes sure to take pride in hunting along with safety and good ethics. I have never lost an animal to date. Never! I tracked a bear someone else hit up in tioga 4 years ago that they quit tracking after 300 yards. I tracked that bear for almost 2 miles ( leaving specs and drops of blood) when I came upon it dead in a patch of mountain laurel. I radioed my cousin who was at my truck at the time and asked if the other two hunters that were tracking the bear came out to there vehicle. He said they were just coming out and I told him to tell them where they could get find there bear. So I waited and eventually they showed up. The older fellow who shot it had tears running down his cheeks because after 50 years if hunting it was his first black bear. I felt like hitting the other fellow for giving up so soon. Could understand the old timers reason for stopping but the other fellow may have been pushing 40. Anyways the bear was recovered and all was well with good tracking and nothing wasted. As for semiauto it wouldn't have changed a thing in this scenario anyways. But good old time training makes a good hunter not how fast you can put rounds at an animal. Simply stating the obvious.

Yep, we could argue a lot of things that has been said here, where would you like to start. Unless you know what two older, well trained, woods wise Pa. hunters are getting at, maybe you should go to your room without supper once and think about it!!!

Yep, we could argue a lot of things that has been said here, where would you like to start. Unless you know what two older, well trained, woods wise Pa. hunters are getting at, maybe you should go to your room without supper once and think about it!!!

I don't understand why he would come on with smart remarks like he's been unless he is one that wants a 20 or 30 round magazine so maybe just maybe he could possibly hit a deer. Oh and if that offended you, suck it up butter cup, I'm a grumpy a$$hole that's sick of people like you(without logic). It's just who I am.

I don't understand why he would come on with smart remarks like he's been unless he is one that wants a 20 or 30 round magazine so maybe just maybe he could possibly hit a deer. Oh and if that offended you, suck it up butter cup, I'm a grumpy a$$hole that's sick of people like you(without logic). It's just who I am.

Well young man, this was my 69th season hunting the big woods of N C PA, so try to understand ive heard more than my share from BSers.
Sorry if my opinion of needing ARs for one shot kills offends you.
BTW, I was 70 before I got my first and only PA black bear.
Stop by sometime and take a look at the full mount in our camp.
First round hit by the way at 750 with a single feed 7x300 WBY.
A quick follow up assured there would be no need to track it.
This is a long range site btw, so maybe you've picked the wrong place for this topic.

Well young man, this was my 69th season hunting the big woods of N C PA, so try to understand ive heard more than my share from BSers.
This is a long range site btw, so maybe you've picked the wrong place for this topic.
Not trying to start a big ruckus on here. I also hunt all over PA as I live here as well. I just didn't like the comments on your last post. Waynzee and I were just having a general discussion on here. As far as your black bear there's a congratulations in order there. A one shot with a quick follow up, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We were talking about the people who shoot just for the sake of shooting at an animal without even trying to make a good shot. As I said before if someone shoots five shots rapidly at a deer or bear and only hits it once then they're not even aiming, just firing at random for the most part. This is all I am saying. As far as an AR goes I agree with Waynzee it should have a limit on its capacity for hunting. Under most circumstances between the first or second shot the animal should be lying dead or running dead. Like I said this is a general discussion not a b!tchfest.

As far as being a long range site it may very well be in the name of the site but there is alot of different topics on this site. It doesn't all pertain to just long range shooting so get that out of your head. This sight is made for all gun enthusiast's who have questions or good hunting stories to share. It's here for knowledge from both young and old. It's also here for opinions, thoughts, and theories. So if any of this is offensive to you maybe your on the wrong site.

Also as far as seeing mounts of bears whitetails bobcats fish etc. etc. I have seen my share of all kinds of animals seeing as my father mother wife and I run a taxidermy shop here in central PA. It is always nice to preserve memories for everyone to enjoy and to remind you of that that you have accomplished in life. That being said we are here to be friends having conversations as gentlemen so join in and be a gentlemen. We are not here to hold grudges just share knowledge and good old times. The world of hunting as a sport along with recreational shooting would be a better place if everybody could be friends and help each other out instead of fighting. Fighting get no one anywhere in life. It just a waste of time. So Yobuck this is an apology to you. As said I don't want grudges just friendships. Everybody can learn something from somebody else. Whether it is big or small every little bit helps.

As far as being a long range site it may very well be in the name of the site but there is alot of different topics on this site. It doesn't all pertain to just long range shooting so get that out of your head. This sight is made for all gun enthusiast's who have questions or good hunting stories to share. It's here for knowledge from both young and old. It's also here for opinions, thoughts, and theories. So if any of this is offensive to you maybe your on the wrong site.

Yep, what you said and well put in words LeePaHunter, I enjoy this site for all the info you can get and gather much from it, so I really don't need somebody like Yobuck bustin my B$%Ls with sarcasm.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I think I'll attend some of the meetings again with the PGC and see if they would allow the using of an AR with a 3 round cap. I would really like to use my AR for deer hunting. I would also be looking at buying a 6.5 Creedmoor upper for the AR10.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.