Semi Auto's for PA.

Waynzee

So our Democrate Governor Wolf signed and passed a bill so Pa. hunters could use semi auto rifles for hunting, good right! Well hold on a minute because our Pa Game Comminsion just screwed us again. Yep, we might be able to use a 22 for small game and varmits but not anything for deer, bear or elk.

So our Democrate Governor Wolf signed and passed a bill so Pa. hunters could use semi auto rifles for hunting, good right! Well hold on a minute because our Pa Game Comminsion just screwed us again. Yep, we might be able to use a 22 for small game and varmits but not anything for deer, bear or elk.

I actually only wanted the semiauto's for just small game and varmints. Coyotes and fox hunting is a passion of mine as is squirrels and rabbits. The semiauto's for these I see as a good thing. As far as deer and other large game which requires larger calibers I don not. The problem I see with large game is we already have to many hunters that don't shoot safely as it is. I witnessed this first hand this year. I watched a guy shoot five shots at a deer and only hot it with the first shot. I watched a tree branch fall 10 feet above the deer. This guy put the rounds out of his bolt action darn near as fast as my semiauto benelli shot gun. It's a shame bit I see alot of casualties resulting with semiauto's for large game. Just my opinion but it comes with great consideration. 4 years ago I was barked by a tree do to a hunter doing the same thing and being careless while shooting repeatedly at a deer. That was to close for comfort this is why I don't feel large game should be on the list.

Yep, I don't defend ANYBODY slinging lead without aiming.... As I said before I personally would like to use a semi for deer and bear but I've got 50 plus years hunting under my belt and don't go slinging lead at a running deer or any game animal.
I think probably what the PGC will do is allow semi's for small game and varmints to see how it goes. Then maybe in 10 years or so they might allow semi's for big game if all goes well. And that's just my opinion.

Is there any reason to believe that semi-autos are responsible for a significant number of incidents in states that currently allow their use for biggame hunting?

I am not saying that at all. I would agree if they would try the small game first and see how things go first. Then if all goes well then move on to larger game. I just don't want to see careless cowboys slinging lead as fast as they can pull the trigger at a deer. I agree with waynzee on this. If you are going to use a semiauto the make each shot count and aim not shoot im the general direction. Believe me of youve never been barked by tree bark from a careless bullet then you wouldn't know what I am talking about. It sucks. Two hours in the ER and 15 stitches later opens your eyes to things and thoughts you never had before. Mainly having the embedded bark removed is about the worst. But most can see where my view differ than others. All I am saying is I am not against it but we need to just be careful that's all.

I am not saying that at all. I would agree if they would try the small game first and see how things go first. Then if all goes well then move on to larger game. I just don't want to see careless cowboys slinging lead as fast as they can pull the trigger at a deer. I agree with waynzee on this. If you are going to use a semiauto the make each shot count and aim not shoot im the general direction. Believe me of youve never been barked by tree bark from a careless bullet then you wouldn't know what I am talking about. It sucks. Two hours in the ER and 15 stitches later opens your eyes to things and thoughts you never had before. Mainly having the embedded bark removed is about the worst. But most can see where my view differ than others. All I am saying is I am not against it but we need to just be careful that's all.

While I'm not a big proponent of semi-autos, other then 22s, I have used them for whitetail hunting many years ago. Semis never seemed to be an issue, good or bad, when used for hunting biggame.

I have been a NYS Hunter Education instructor for over 35 years. We receive an annual report from the state DEC office with a synopsis of every hunting accident in the state. I have never noticed any pattern of incidents/accidents that were related to semi-auto firearms.

It's good to see the state of PA moving in the right direction with regard to permissible firearms. I have always wanted to shoot groundhogs in PA with my AR-15 and could never understand the prohibition against them.

PA is moving forward while my home state of NY is moving backward!!

Yes I agree that pa is moving forward but also like I said I have no problems with hunting barmints and small game with semiauto's as I own three of them myself. But as said I just hope if they do allow large game hunting with semiauto's then hopefully everybody hunting with them will be responsible as well. That's all.

Ya know, I was thinking it might be a good thing if the PGC would allow you to use an AR if you kept the magazine held to 3 shots like they have for pump shotguns just because if you ever hunted the PA. woods you would known there is no way you would ever get more than that many shots off at a deer before it's gone and most times your really lucky to get 2 shots off. At least in my neck of the woods where I hunt. And besides that, what the hell kind of hunter are you if you can't kill your deer on the first shot.

I couldn't agree more with you there Waynzee. I would go along with the 3 round magazine. Also as for not making the first shot lethal. These are the people that **** me off. As you know yesterday was the last day of rifle season here in pa. I found three dead deer on the game lands here at meiserville which made me sick. All horrible shots and what a waste of meat. It just smdosgusts me that people would pull the trigger when they obviously didn't have a clear shot.

I couldn't agree more with you there Waynzee. I would go along with the 3 round magazine. Also as for not making the first shot lethal. These are the people that **** me off. As you know yesterday was the last day of rifle season here in pa. I found three dead deer on the game lands here at meiserville which made me sick. All horrible shots and what a waste of meat. It just smdosgusts me that people would pull the trigger when they obviously didn't have a clear shot.

With 3 fatally shot deer going unrecovered; you have to wonder just how hard the shooters actually tried to locate the deer that they hit. A reasonable attempt to recover game is required in most states.

Yep, that would be reasonable, 3 rounds. It sounds like you and me grew up in a time when you had to make that first shot count or 1 of 2 things might happen 1 you would get a cuff along side the head from your old man or uncle for missing or making a bad shot or 2 you wouldn't be asked to go hunting for a while, which would of about brought you to tears.
3 dead deer with poor shots is about 3 to many. I've run across the same thing here over the years and if you call the PGC they act as if you did the shooting and ask you a whole bunch of stupid questions.

Yep, that would be reasonable, 3 rounds. It sounds like you and me grew up in a time when you had to make that first shot count or 1 of 2 things might happen 1 you would get a cuff along side the head from your old man or uncle for missing or making a bad shot or 2 you wouldn't be asked to go hunting for a while, which would of about brought you to tears.
3 dead deer with poor shots is about 3 to many. I've run across the same thing here over the years and if you call the PGC they act as if you did the shooting and ask you a whole bunch of stupid questions.

Yeppy, exactly how I was brought up when it comes to hunting. Like I said it just made me sick finding those two doe and one spike buck. I hate when things like this happen. It is just disturbing and as fat as the game commission goes I had my rounds with them a couple years ago on my property with finding two dead deer. I called them and as you said they acted as if a I had shot them. Well like a slap in there faces i told them of I had shot them they would have been standing there giving me questions for the simple reasons they would have been in my freezers.LOL. But it's besides the point if you can't make a good shot don't pull the trigger.

Once I seen a fella hit a doe in front of me, he had an old International PU truck, he pulled over and I pulled in behind him and asked if he wanted the deer. I told him I'd help throw it in the truck for him, it wasn't bang up to bad just the head was smashed. Anyway he didn't want it so I took it and called the PGC, they told me an Officer would be at my house in a day or so to check it out so go ahead and clean it up but keep the head and hide. Two months latter I threw the head and stinking hide in the trash and the PGC never did show up. So, that's the last time I've called the PGC for anything like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.