Scope Magnification vs yardage

Martinpox

So what is the general opinions on scope magnification vs yardage when shooting.

example.
100 yards you like 6x
100-500 6-8x
500-1000 10-12x
etc

these are just examples. Trying to figure out what people like the best and have the best results with.

I have found I can keep the magnification cranked up in a solid rest, but I need to roll it back if shooting on bags.

New to the forum, so Im sure I will have a few other questions that have been beat to death so sorry in advance.

People eyes are all different and the type of shooting different so I don't think there is any hard rules . When you are young you can use less magnification as you get older you seem to need more magnification to do the same job .
My basic needs are , Walk around shooting hogs or deer and running shots 2 to 7 x is fine .
Walk around shooting semi open plains country for smaller targets , fox , wild dog or rabbit mostly supported shots 4 to 12 or 16 is better .
Varmint shooting prone on bi-pod I use 6 to 24 which is the most powerful scopes I have . The modern trend is towards more powerful scopes than you generally need because that's what long range shooters use .
I can do a lot with a 2 to 7 power scope but once the range is over 400 or the target small I need more power / resolution .
A scope with high image quality can use less power and still be very good.

I agree with bulletbumper.
I have a 16 power variable on my match rifle.
But I have a couple of SWFA 10x one on a 338 Lapua another on a 30-06. I shoot those to 1200 yards fairly easy with Moa sized plates.
As I get older, I notice I squint more to focus on certain things, so this is going to change.
Right now, I care about decent glass with 100% reliable and accurate tracking. That's why I have the SWFAs and a Vortex. Mainly because I can't afford premium glass with the tracking. Lol
Careful if you are budgeted, once you look thru Shott or similar glass you cross a threshold that's hard to come back from.

I hear you gohring3006 it's nice if you have bags of money but most don't . I sure as hell don't . We must give Leupold it's full due they saved every average shooter all over the World by producing good scopes at reasonable costs . I would have been screwed without Leupold scopes because then all I would have had was over expensive European scopes or Japanese scopes which I did use quite a few back then.
Back then over here you needed a bank loan to buy a European scope and had to import mounts also . I will always remain a loyal Leupold customer when ever I can as they did do us a great service and still do .

So what is the general opinions on scope magnification vs yardage when shooting.

example.
100 yards you like 6x
100-500 6-8x
500-1000 10-12x
etc

these are just examples. Trying to figure out what people like the best and have the best results with.

I have found I can keep the magnification cranked up in a solid rest, but I need to roll it back if shooting on bags.

New to the forum, so Im sure I will have a few other questions that have been beat to death so sorry in advance.
Depends on the size of the target and conditions.

As a rule I keep mine dialed down to a Max of 8x for my "truck guns" and once I step out of the truck I like to dial it on back to 3-4x and adjust upwards as needed.

If you're moving through brush it's real easy to have it dialed up way too high and find yourself unable to pick up your target in a quick shooting situation.

I hear you gohring3006 it's nice if you have bags of money but most don't . I sure as hell don't . We must give Leupold it's full due they saved every average shooter all over the World by producing good scopes at reasonable costs . I would have been screwed without Leupold scopes because then all I would have had was over expensive European scopes or Japanese scopes which I did use quite a few back then.
Back then over here you needed a bank loan to buy a European scope and had to import mounts also . I will always remain a loyal Leupold customer when ever I can as they did do us a great service and still do .
It's awfully hard to be Leupold for the money, especially since they came out with the VX-6.

I'm all over the place depending on intent of the rifle!
Trying to find a universal method is chasing the wind. Just find what makes you happy as a shooter!

great information from everyone.

The little bit of reading I have done I see a trend to use lower magnification when shooting without a rest, to shooting off bags, to shooting from a led-sled arrangement.

What I am feeling myself is if I have a darn solid rest, Led-sled, I can crank up the magnification and still control my breathing pretty well. If I have the power to high when shooting off bags or with a crappy rest if I have it to high I run out of air trying to get everything perfect. So If I back off on the power when not using a solid rest I tend to make better shots.

What I have found is working pretty good is again on a sled crank it up. If I don't have a great solid rest keep the power down.

my rule of thumb has been 100-400 yards 6x, 400-800 10x I like the precision of high magnification but holding is steady is a killer.

I like to tweek the magnification until I see no more "jittery" movement through the scope regardless of the range or shooting rest. I find I get the best groups doing so.

IMO, for LR shooting the use of the power setting on the scope is to control the field of view for target acquisition/detail and assist in the ability to see bullet impact by enlarging sight picture during recoil. If the crosshair is moving at 20x, it's highly likely it will also be moving at 10x without the distraction. With the proper rifle support and technique, a steady hold can usually be achieved, or at the very least, sight picture and trigger control can be mastered for precise hits. While very accurate shooting can be achieved at lower magnification, for LR hunting, higher magnification, in my experience, has proven to be very useful in discerning bullet deflecting obstacles(brush,etc) which may not be evident at lower power. Just some thoughts.

IMO, for LR shooting the use of the power setting on the scope is to control the field of view for target acquisition/detail and assist in the ability to see bullet impact by enlarging sight picture during recoil. If the crosshair is moving at 20x, it's highly likely it will also be moving at 10x without the distraction. With the proper rifle support and technique, a steady hold can usually be achieved, or at the very least, sight picture and trigger control can be mastered for precise hits. While very accurate shooting can be achieved at lower magnification, for LR hunting, higher magnification, in my experience, has proven to be very useful in discerning bullet deflecting obstacles(brush,etc) which may not be evident at lower power. Just some thoughts.
I've found over the years that the higher the power the more you see/realize how much I'm moving and in fighting it tend to make it worse getting distracted by it.

For that reason I don't dial up to max on my high power scopes (18x and higher) unless I really have to.

If my target fills up about 1/4 of my sight picture that's plenty to pick my aiming point with few distractions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.