Scope Advice....

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Ok this is a thread that has been posted 8 million times, but I'm asking anyway. I'm rifle rich and scope poor. I'm tired of messing around with budget optics and want toughness and reliability in turrets. #1 priority is tracking reliability/repeatibility, #2 toughness, #3 glass quality.

Here's what I've got:

Remington 700 semi custom .243
Remington 700 semi custom .260
Savage 110 semi custom .308
Remington 700 semi custom .338 Lapua

Semi custom is the works, HS precision stocks, full blue print, shilen barrels, etcs. I need 4 scopes for these rifles. Primary use will be long range steel busting, hunting, and PRS. There are an overwhelming amount of scope options and every option I have researched has positives and negatives which only confuses me more. This is what I've narrowed it down to:

SWFA 3x15x42mm FFP MOA
Nightforce SHV 4x14x50 FFP MOA
Viper Vortex (not sure on model, just need FFP MOA)
Luepold VX3I LRP 4x16x50mm FFP MOA

These 4 options with my mil discount keep them right around $600-$800 for each scope. I want to keep all the scopes the same for each rifle for famaliraty purposes.

So after my long rant which scope would you choose and why???? Thanks for the help and I love this forum.

The Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 RSR Zero Stop Side Focus FFP EBR-2C MOA and zero stop is about $1000 (if you shop the right places) and the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 FFP with Side Focus and "Zero Set" will set you back another $250.
I use both Nightforce and Vortex - I'm partial to Nightforce. Either would work well for your described needs.
IMO the SWFA and Leupold are not quite in the same class.

The Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 RSR Zero Stop Side Focus FFP EBR-2C MOA and zero stop is about $1000 (if you shop the right places) and the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 FFP with Side Focus and "Zero Set" will set you back another $250.
I use both Nightforce and Vortex - I'm partial to Nightforce. Either would work well for your described needs.
IMO the SWFA and Leupold are not quite in the same class.

I get mil discounts from vortex and Nightforce so prices in the $1000 range aren't an issue. So I guess it comes down to personal preference at this level of optics. I might just get the Nightforce and be done with it.

I have one of the shv nightforce scopes, it's one of the first ones that came out. They may have changed quite a bit. I like the scope and so far it tracks well and the optics are decent. The one thing I would caution a person on is the eye relief isn't the greatest. Reason I metion this is I see one of your rifles is the 338 Lapua. The scope should work very well on the other 3 rifles, and the eye relief may be different than mine. It may not even be an issue for you. Good luck

Anymore I'm more hooked on optics than I am on rifles, well the full safe is evidence against that.

I'd move the .243, and .308 to increase my budget.

Ok this is a thread that has been posted 8 million times, but I'm asking anyway. I'm rifle rich and scope poor. I'm tired of messing around with budget optics and want toughness and reliability in turrets. #1 priority is tracking reliability/repeatibility, #2 toughness, #3 glass quality.

Here's what I've got:

Remington 700 semi custom .243
Remington 700 semi custom .260
Savage 110 semi custom .308
Remington 700 semi custom .338 Lapua

Semi custom is the works, HS precision stocks, full blue print, shilen barrels, etcs. I need 4 scopes for these rifles. Primary use will be long range steel busting, hunting, and PRS. There are an overwhelming amount of scope options and every option I have researched has positives and negatives which only confuses me more. This is what I've narrowed it down to:

SWFA 3x15x42mm FFP MOA
Nightforce SHV 4x14x50 FFP MOA
Viper Vortex (not sure on model, just need FFP MOA)
Luepold VX3I LRP 4x16x50mm FFP MOA

These 4 options with my mil discount keep them right around $600-$800 for each scope. I want to keep all the scopes the same for each rifle for famaliraty purposes.

So after my long rant which scope would you choose and why???? Thanks for the help and I love this forum.

Buying that many, I would locate a Cabela's or some other store that carry the NF and Vortex line of Scopes and compare glass before ordering. I have the Vortex PST Gen I 6-24x50 FFP and would definitely consider the Gen II version, I see those in 5-25x50 FFP for 1099.00 without a discount. The NF always seem to be 300.00 + more and you have to watch and make sure the quote is FFP on the NF.

Love my SWFA 3-15 FFP......super versatile - pound paper on the bench and light enough to carry into the field. Reticle is great for both applications as well. It tracks properly, has plenty of MOA travel, turrets/clicks are crisp, and the glass is phenominal for the price. Note, SWFA has a great sale a few times a year......usually around tax day and Black Friday......usually a smoken deal.

I had the Nightforce SHV 4-14 ffp. Nice hunting scope for sure. I noticed the reticle got a little large on 14x when I was trying to shoot small pieces of steel at distance or even rock chucks and stuff. Good scope though.

Love my SWFA 3-15 FFP......super versatile - pound paper on the bench and light enough to carry into the field. Reticle is great for both applications as well. It tracks properly, has plenty of MOA travel, turrets/clicks are crisp, and the glass is phenominal for the price. Note, SWFA has a great sale a few times a year......usually around tax day and Black Friday......usually a smoken deal.

The scope dealers are excellent to veterans. They'll give vets $100 off sales price. I'm looking very hard at these scopes. Thanks for the input.

I had the Nightforce SHV 4-14 ffp. Nice hunting scope for sure. I noticed the reticle got a little large on 14x when I was trying to shoot small pieces of steel at distance or even rock chucks and stuff. Good scope though.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't feel like this thread is helping me lol. Sounds like the majority of these scopes are great which only complicates things for me. :D

That's the thing these days with scopes, lots of really good options out there. I have an Athlon scope too that is a huge overachiever.

Bit the bullet the other day and got the Vortex AMG...Now that is a nice scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.