Savage synthetic stock

cynicrit

I thought of buying my daughter a Savage 11 compact, but the one I'm looking at doesn't come with the Accustock. What do you think of their standard synthetic stock? If necessary I can bed the stock, but I'd be comforted to know that the standard stock is not garbage. ( Wish in one hand.....) I can't find any pictures of the bedding area of that stock.

The couple that I have are fairly stiff around the action screws but the forearm flexes a lot, especially if you mount a bipod to the front by the sling swivel. You might consider taking a little off the barrel channel with a dremel tool, I did as it rubbed the barrel at times. The action screws holes have metal inserts similar to pillars but thinner. I have bedded the ones I have and they shoot pretty well, just scuff up the plastic so the compound will stick. There are some gusset holes that you can fill if you like that will give you more surface are contact but I do enough so it stays in the same place when I remove it from the stock. You can mask off the trigger at the rear action screw so you don't have to remove it. If you Google "savage synthetic stock bedding" a lot of stuff comes up, pictures as well.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...4.psy-ab..0.30.3611...0j0i131k1.0.ogSJ_toNb24

There's an image of the front by the lug. see the voids ? Left open for weight probably, but they can be filled to give more contact. I would fill them 1st, a little short of the final surface before I do the actual bedding

Attachments

• Mvc-013f.jpg
    Mvc-013f.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
Cynic, the plastic stocks are not good candidates for epoxy bedding. The epoxy doesn't stick to plastic well even if it is scuffed up. I bedded one a couple years ago for a young guy and the epoxy cracked in several places due to too much flex of the plastic. He saved up and bought a nice Boyd's Pro Varmint. The consensus is not to bed the tang area on Savages, only above the rear action screw and the lug. I've bedded several Savages, but all were wood or carbon fiber and they shot very well. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.