Savage Long Range Hunter Rifle Review

I didn't read all posts to this article so I hope I'm not repeating something already written but Savage also makes a 6.5 - 284 in Model 16 (Weather Warrior) which is lighter (just under 7 lbs) but only comes with a 24" barrel. Folks trying to milk all the range they can get will want that extra 2" in barrel length the LRH provides if not more. But someone needing to keep it light might like the Weather Warrior. I noticed the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is selling A Savage Weather Warrior in this caliber at their on-line store.

The 6.5x284 LRH is a little heavier. There is about a 200fps difference over the Creedmoor, check your reloading books. Yes there was some reduction in recoil using the brake. There was no significant change in group size. It just did not shoot well enough for me.

I have two 6.5x284 rifles, Ruger #1 and a custom on a Rem. action. The Ruger, I load light loads till I need the velocity. The other rifle is my "reach out there" rifle. I just got back from a long range school. The Creedmoor can reach a long distance and still stay super sonic. I was shooting factory Hornady 140 and is was still super sonuc at well over 1300 yards.
Does savage offer a 116fcss weather worrier 24 in barrel with adjustable cheek piece in 26 caliber Remington?

I'm a bit late to the party but I bought one of the early 11-111 LR Hunters (had to . have one for what I'm not sure but I do anway).... chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum. Mine has the fixed brake, I'm glad it does as the brake is very effective at reducing felt recoil (and irritating bystanders).

The felt recoil on mine with hot handloads and 300 grain Bergers is about like an unbraked 308 or just fine.

My early stick came with the clunky carriage bolt / barney knob adjustable Karsten cheek and you are right, the ends of the carriage bolts will make short work of any soft rifle case, I just cut miine down so the are just below flush when the cheek is tight and rounded off the threaded ends, no biggie. My early Karsten is slotted so to regain adjustment after cleaning, I took a paint pen and marked reference marks on the cheek and stock....you are right on, it has to be removed to clean the bore.

Mine has always shot lights out right frfom the get-go, sub moa at 200 consistently with handloads (I load everything).......and it's stupid heavy with a big 6.5 x 24 x 50 Vortex Viper PST on the stock EGW 20 MOA cant rail in Talley rings, of course.

I'd never (at my age) consider an 'out west' hunt with it unless I had a gun bearer, it's that heavy and it's cumbersome with the long barrel and brake making it even longer but....

It's fun to shoot and it's a Savage and I like all Savages, have a bunch.

Still don't know why I bought it, bit I did and it's not going anywhere soon. It's a hoot to shoot, much like my S&W 44 long barrelled Magnum revolver. Neither is for everyone but for some, both are great.

Good write up btw. I enjoyed the read,

I am glad you like your .338. Savage redesigned the action and muzzle brake for the .338 and I am sure it was necessary. The .338 is a great extreme long range rifle.

Last time I was on the Savage website (about a month ago) perusing rifles, the 338 was still only available with a fixed brake which is fine with me (no seizing up issues, no brake cleaner). The 338 brake isn't a radial, it's a side ported brake.

I have no issues with my action at all than the magazine length is a bit short (and it don't allow me to jump as muich as I'd like to with Bergers unless I single feed, which I usually do anyway.

You don't shoot them willy-nilly unless you have a steel hinged wallet.

Kind of an impulse buy for me (a purchase without any real application) but I like it nonetheless..

My wife calls it 'Industrial' looking. I have to agree it's not a pretty face, it's function over form.

I recently took 3rd place in the South Carolina Long Range NRA 1000 yards at Fort Gordon with my Savage 6.5 x 284. It has a Schneider 30" barrel and John Widden gun works did the work on it. Very Pleased with it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.