• Sako Extractor

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • M16 Extractor

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

therichardpowell

Hey folks.

First post here.

I have a very old Remington 721 30-06 that my Dad used to use as a hunting rifle for the past half a century until he handed it down to me. I have since taken at least ten elk and and countless deer and antelope with it. It is the only rifle I have ever taken an elk with and it means alot to me to continue using it.

That being said, it has issues that seem to be popping up. It is pretty well shot out. I have never measured it but it is probably shooting about 3 moa at 100 yds. I am completely ready and willing to rebarrel this rifle. I am planning to swap in a Bergara barrel soon (I have never done a barrel swap before but am really excited to be able to do it myself, thats why I chose Bergara).

My other issue and my main question. I have had extractor issues with this rifle ever since I got it. I have replaced the extractor twice (and they are about impossible to find) and had a gunsmith replace the second one for me. It is still not reliable. If you pull the bolt out in just the right manner it extracts fine. If you go to slow or the bolt hangs at all it drops the case in the magazine chamber. I shot at a deer last weekend and botched the wind and missed. I cycled the bolt for the follow up shot and ofcourse, the extraction failed and it jammed. I managed to clear it and drop the deer, but I am sick of this situation.

The extractor is different than the 700 extractor, and the 700 extractor doesn't work in my bolt.

So I have reached a cross roads. I could buy a factory remington 700 bolt in my caliber or since I am rebarreling, step up to a mag bolt face and build a 300 win mag. Or I can trust someone to install a Sako or M16 extractor on my existing bolt.

I like the idea of the 300 win mag, but I also like the nostalgia of my Dads ol' ought six.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

I would say have it worked over and keep it in 30-06. Kevin Cram is a great resource and a sponsor hear call him and ask for his help. Or maybe another rifle smith will chime in and offer his help. JE custom is also one for offering up great free advice and he is always spot on.

If your not a machinist or very handy I would make dam sure I worked with an experienced rifle builder while doing this re barrel. I would hate you see the rifle ruined or worse you getting hurt, but I understand your reasoning.

Jon

I didn't vote in you're poll as you didn't give the obvious choice,,,,, fix the original bolt/find a 'smith that can! Your desire to install a barrel yourself will only lead to spending more $$$$$$, barrel vise, action wrench, head space gauges. Gauges only come one way ($28-$35 a piece+ shipping), and, a cheap action wrench and barrel vise are virtually worthless. Need to add those into the cost of that Berga barrel.

I use the 721 rem. when ever I can, like the "smooth" action. Also, I have been using Bergara bbls. for some time now, and like 'em. Just finished a .308 last week, it shoots .3 moa now with little load development yet. I use the bergara, and the investment in a few tools leads to many more inexpensive rifle builds. I do lathe cut some blanks, but the "prefit" bbls are excellent, and the action truing/lug lap/rail polishing , etc. are easy to do. I use the Sako extractor, and have no problems with them, tho some prefer the M-16 style.

Last edited:
I didn't vote in you're poll as you didn't give the obvious choice,,,,, fix the original bolt/find a 'smith that can! Your desire to install a barrel yourself will only lead to spending more $$$$$$, barrel vise, action wrench, head space gauges. Gauges only come one way ($28-$35 a piece+ shipping), and, a cheap action wrench and barrel vise are virtually worthless. Need to add those into the cost of that Berga barrel.

I agree with the extra cost of the tools, however, I plan on building a Savage action with a Shilen screw in barrel, and according to this, the action wrench will work on both. Same with the barrel vise, pretty universal there. Not sure which one of those I would get. Suggestions? And headspace gauges, once I have em, I have em and can use them for the rest of my life. I really am starting to get into building my own stuff and investing in some extra tools is something I am willing to do. I am not going to be machining parts and installing sako extractors or anything but, screwing a barrel on and checking headpace doesn't look like a whole lot of trouble. I am a mechanic and I in no way compare gun smithing to fixing cars put I have an understanding how things work, and feel confident that I am able to do some of these things and save myself some money.

I would be all for getting my bolt fixed, but I have been messing with it for a long time now, and it either needs to work perfect, or get replaced with a better design. I found a video that shows pretty much exactly what I am talking about, then it shows a Sako extractor flingin the case out.

Remington 700 Bolt: Factory vs Sako-style extractor - YouTube

I would love to see my rifle extract like that. It would be worth the cost of having someone install the sako style extractor.

I am leaning towards keeping my bolt and having a sako installed. Any suggestions on who to have do it? I live about an hour from Portland, OR. Or I could ship it to someone. I have always wanted to have it done but have a hard time trusting someone to do it. Heard horror stories of people doing a crap job and making things even worse.

I recently had a large wide sako style extractor installed in my remingtion, if I had to do it again I would use the smallest extractor made, the reason being is that the angle in which it extracts makes the case eject right into my NF scope turret and dents the crap out of the case. I had to put a small foam pad on the turret to stop the denting. A smaller (narrower) type extractor would lower the angle of ejection.

I agree with the extra cost of the tools, however, I plan on building a Savage action with a Shilen screw in barrel, and according to this, the action wrench will work on both. Same with the barrel vise, pretty universal there. Not sure which one of those I would get. Suggestions? And headspace gauges, once I have em, I have em and can use them for the rest of my life. I really am starting to get into building my own stuff and investing in some extra tools is something I am willing to do. I am not going to be machining parts and installing sako extractors or anything but, screwing a barrel on and checking headpace doesn't look like a whole lot of trouble. I am a mechanic and I in no way compare gun smithing to fixing cars put I have an understanding how things work, and feel confident that I am able to do some of these things and save myself some money.

I would be all for getting my bolt fixed, but I have been messing with it for a long time now, and it either needs to work perfect, or get replaced with a better design. I found a video that shows pretty much exactly what I am talking about, then it shows a Sako extractor flingin the case out.

Remington 700 Bolt: Factory vs Sako-style extractor - YouTube

I would love to see my rifle extract like that. It would be worth the cost of having someone install the sako style extractor.

I am leaning towards keeping my bolt and having a sako installed. Any suggestions on who to have do it? I live about an hour from Portland, OR. Or I could ship it to someone. I have always wanted to have it done but have a hard time trusting someone to do it. Heard horror stories of people doing a crap job and making things even worse.

I mechanic for a living and I'm getting into building my own rifles, new shiny lathe should be landing Friday, and installing a prefit barrel should be stupid easy for you. It's just hitting specs and keeping tolerances where they need to be and your already doing that for a living so this will be like work only funner and it's good when things go boom :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.