Rut drought SE Idaho

We were in units 77,78 12 days ago and it was dead! Not on bugle all week. Thought maybe we were early but sounds like they just aren't talking?

I have a cabin in Island Park (zone 61). I drew on a rifle bull tag that opens Oct 1.

I hiked all over the place Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Nothing is herded up yet. I saw several small groups of cows (2 to 4).

I still have not heard a screaming bugle yet.

The only positive thing...not a sign of the wolf pack any where.

Saw a nice 6x6 and a harem of about a dozen cows, between Etna, WY and Alpine, WY., (a mile or 2 east of SE Idaho) about 100 yards off of Hwy 89, in an alfalfa field. They were still there a few hours later on the way home. Seemed early for them to be down that low. We are just getting some yellow in the Aspens.

I just got back from my New Mexico Gila elk hunt and it was terrible. I think we heard a total of 3 bugles in 7 days. Saw some elk but they were just too far to get one with a bow when they are not bugling. I have had 9 elk hunts in New Mexico and this was the worst that I have seen it.

I just got back from my New Mexico Gila elk hunt and it was terrible. I think we heard a total of 3 bugles in 7 days. Saw some elk but they were just too far to get one with a bow when they are not bugling. I have had 9 elk hunts in New Mexico and this was the worst that I have seen it.
See any Illegals … and I don't mean four-legged species?

I am in N Idaho - very few bugles...when they do they lack aggression. Just starting to see bulls herd up with cows. Archery in the panhandle is closed as of Saturday. This is probably 5 to 6 years in a row the rut has started at the end of the season. Might wanna think about making seasons later IDFG...keep up with the times

The big groups I was around 2 weeks ago where bugling.The smaller 6-12 type not as much but herd bugles most days for 20 days.I passed a smaller weird bull, got in on 3 -6x6,3 days in a row but got swirly wind. The last bull I was on was a young 6x6,he was bedded 200 from me ,but cows where in way of stalkHe answered me 6 times but all while bedded, but it was mid morning. I found him by his bugling