Rules For The ELR sub-forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I'd really like this sub-forum to be mainly for the guys who already know how to do it over 1,000 yards.

I hope everyone of all levels of skill and experience will enjoy reading the topics in order to learn more.

But I hope the questions and discussion will come mostly from already qualified thousand yard plus shooters or those who are almost there right now.

I want this to be a special spot for the guys who already do it over 1,000 yards. Their own playground.

I'd like this sub-forum to be free from the 300 yard shooter asking the same question that someone else just asked yesterday about 300 yard shooting.

RULES

• No neophyte questions and discussions, find them elsewhere on this site.
  • OVER 1,000 yards

Last edited:
I have not been on the site for a few weeks, so I am not sure when ELR became active. Thanks to Len and others who have been instrumental in making this happen. I am looking forward to some interesting discussions and great information!

Finally a spot that I can share some info and get some with fellow shooters who speak my language ! I shoot a mod 70 Win / 264 mag / 140 gr Horn SST.
I've shot many whitetails in 500 yards plus , the farthest kill was 617 ( not bad for NY state) My target is at 1070 yards ( 22"x 3/4" steel plate) that I shoot for fun down a grass strip runway when there are no planes around !

Earl

PS............Almost forgot to mention........couldn't do it without my Greybull Precision / Leupold 4.5 x 14 scope

Great Idea, good rules, a different subject than you have for other forums. This is a VERY specialized topic.
Was just out to see Shawn.....You guessed it I am now in line for a rifle.:D

When we move a thread we usually leave a notice or link at the original location, for a week or so.

If that is gone now, do a search on posts by yourself and you should find it.

I didnt realize how CROWDED the other subforums had become. Last time I hung out here was years ago and it was definitely a different crowd back then. Hopefully this will stay a place where people who have a clue can converse without the wal mart crowd giving advice. Thanks

So guys this is my first post and I would like say how much I love this place. But I'm with the rest of you guys on all the folks that say they know what there doing but have no clue how many rounds down range it takes to get to this level of accuracy. On that note I have been working on a 308 I built working at a mile. The reason I say this is cause every one thinks you need a big mag rifle to get waaaay out there, but with a lot of knowledge you can make wonderful things happen with a lot less powder these days. We all know how tough it is to get components for loading these days. Although my 6.5-284 doesn't use to much more powder.

My 1,000 yard shooting program has reached 980 yards so far because that is the max range of the club where i compete in PRS shoots (Desert Sportsman's Gun Club) with my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle. It has a 3.5 - 21 x 50 Bushnell ERS scope with a H59 "Christmas tree" reticle. My RPR competition rifle has a nice Atlas Bipod and CTK monopod but those are not something you can find on hunting rifles.

Soon... I also have a 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator (not the Model 77 style Ruger Predator) with a 5 - 15 x 44 SWFA scope for hunting.
I have begun moving toward my own club's 960 yard steel silhouette (sp?) range with the RAP rifle, at first from a bench rest. It's more difficult due to the rifle's much lighter weight, plain mil hash mark reticle and heavier 3.5 lb. trigger compared to my RPR competition rifle. But I AM making progress in ringing the steel more often at 700+ yards

At that 960 max steel range at my club (Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club) I have been competing in a local "laid back" match designed to improve hunting skills at long range. Time constraints are 4 times longer than the fast PRS match evolutions. We even have time for a a few sighters at each distance. (I told you it was laid back.)

But the catch with that "laid back" match is that we are not allowed to shoot at the larger silhouette targets but must shoot at little "MOA-size" steel squares. i.e 5" square at 500 yards. **** hard to hit all the time - even 50% of the time on some windy days!
DISCLAIMER: I have only competed in the "laid back" matches with my competition rifle from a bench. Next I'll use my RAP hunting rifle and stay with it.

By next March I may try 1,000 yard NRA F class competition at my club. Hey, I've quickly learned that ANY long range competition will improve your shooting in the field. So why not try as many as I can as often as I can?

So that's my odddesy of learning long range shooting. Soon I'll begin practicing with both rifles from my shooting mat and the portable bencherest wood seats. I'm also learning position shooting with a sling with each rifle and it is DIFFICULT, even with the RPR competition rifle and its TAB Gear competition sling with its adjustable bicep slot. If you want to know what your pulse looks like thru a scope then try shooting with a sling.

Eric B.

BTW, both Ruger 6.5 CM rifles shoot 1/2" MOA. The RPR competition rifle with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M (Match) ammo and the RAP with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. If only I could shoot as well as my rifles. And yes, Hornady's hunting ammo does shoot as well as its match ammo, just as they advertise.

I apologize for my inability to read and follow rules with the post I just submitted.

UPDATE:
My 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator with a new, 1 lb. heavier laminated Boyd's stock and Timmy trigger, has given me 3/8" to 1/2" at 100 yards with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M factory ammo. And this is a consistent grouping of 5 shot groups.

But with 143 ELD-X hunting ammo it opens up to 1" to 3/4". This is an average of 3 targets with 5 shot groups. I dunno why this is. (All groups are from a bench rest.) The ELD-X ammo is supposed to be "match quality". but my RAP barrel likes 140 gr. ELD-M better.

Then at 980 yards with the R.A. Predator I'm getting about 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA with ELD-M ammo. I'm surprised an inexpensive hunting rifle can do this and so is my buddy who is getting similar results with his RPR competition rifle and 140 gr. ELD-M founds.

I'm going to try 147 gr. ELD-M loads just before Thanksgiving weekend. We'll see how my RPR likes it first then I'll try them in my RAP with the Boyd's laminated stock.
Now that I have the Timmy trigger on the RAP it feels much more like my RPR competition rifle trigger. I have the Timmy trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs., a safe weight for the field.

All this is to say that I am becoming much more comfortable shooting out to 980 yards and that is so close to 1,000 yards that it's a moot point. These days with my competition 6.5 CM RPR I'm just as good from a shooting mat, bipod/monopod setup, as I am from the bench! I'm learning body position, level rifle, no parallax and proper breathing. Yeah, breathing becomes very important at 980 yards.

Eric B.

Status
Not open for further replies.