Ruger's Classic Model 77 Rifle Review

ADMIN

Administrator
When I learned that the Ruger was available in 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser chambering I knew that I had to explore this combination. The 6.5 Swede is among the best balanced, accurate, and light kicking game loads of all time. But when coupled with the Ruger action the cartridge may be loaded a bit hotter than with the original Mauser. The result is an excellent all around deer sized game killer that outpaces the original - although the original loading has long enjoyed a good reputation in the field.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Ruger's Classic Model 77 Rifle Review , By Bob Campbell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I have this Ruger M77 in 6.5x55 Swede also.It is a good combination.Moderate recoil and easy to shoot.Accuracy also arround the inch size.

I have several Ruger 77s and they all shoot less than 1moa.
They fit me well and shoot well.

I own two. I can see a quality shift from the one bought in the early 2000s and the one I bought this year. The one I bought this year I had to sand the interior stock because it was really rough. I did finally get it to shoot under 3/4 of an inch. Great guns.

Have one In 300mag, strong action but cast parts are sloppy. It shoots very good. I filed and polished the trigger, polished the feed ramp and tried to make the bolt work slick. The trigger is very good and it feeds reliably, but the bolt is so sloppy there is no making it work slick. Bought the rifle new in 2000.

My M77 MKII is in 270, glass bedded and Timney trigger. When I do my part it does its part - last week's buck whitetail at 100ft and the one two years ago at 287 paces. Love this gun. Cheers.

What would a 1976 action be worth?The gun was a 7 mag,I shot the barrel out a year ago and need funds for something else.

That gun is built better than the newer ones. The safety is like a browning and not a Winchester, right? If so it's worth more than the newer ones but I can't remember when they made the change. I would guess action only, if it is the old style and in good condition. About $125 to $180.

I have several M77 MKII's and I just like the fit better.. The 338WM is a fine shooter and it handles the recoil nicely...That one is a new (2012) Hawkeye.

The thing I don't care for in any Ruger (and I have several BTW) is Ruger's stock trigger sucks without some work and thats unexcusable today.

The other thing is the inattention ro detail in the castings. Ruger touts it's invstment casting facility as state of the art in quality and in finish and I don't see that in their firearms in general.

I have a Number 1 chambered in 300 WBY Magnum and it's had issues from day one. I've had to modify the forestock to get it to shoot reliable groups and again, the trigger took some serious bench work to get it to break crisp with a minimal amount of pre-travel, again, not acceptablem considering the cost of the rifle when there are other, less expensive rifles, that shoot tighter groups and trigger more cleanly at a lesser price.

I do see that Ruger is copying the Savage Accutrigger design and incorporating it into their line and thats a good thing. The Accutrigger mechanism is a good example of what engineering can do to produce a safe trigger than breaks clean, has acceptable pre-travel (for a production trigger group) and adjustability. Hopefully, that will go a long way to hlp Ruger get away from clunky trigger stigma. It won't help with accuracy however.

Ruger can build an accurate rifle if they want to (as in their gas blowback semi automatic Mini 14 Target). I have one of those as well as for a semi auto, loose chambered (for fast extraction), it's the most accurate 223 non bolt gun I've ever shot, so they have the knowledge and the expertise to build a very accurate platform, if they want to......

IMO.

I had a Ruger M77 in .300 Win mag that was stolen from my house about 10 years ago. I always wanted another one so last year i bought one used. It is chambered in 30-06. After buying it i took it out and it shot less than an inch with certain ammo. After taking it out the first time i cleaned the bore and it would not shoot that well again so i shot another 50 rounds through it and it is shooting a little less than an inch again.

I bought a Ruger m77 .270 winchester about 21 or 22 years ago. When I go white tail hunting Friday it will be with me. It was tough over coming the trigger pull at first but as I got use to it I found that it is a tack driver. I have killed a lot of deer with that gun. 2 years ago I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on it and now I like it even better.:D I haven't had the chance to shoot the Hawk Eye. What's the difference between the two ?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.